Diesel Training in Southern Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Baker

Vessel Name
Odyssea
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I am new to the Trawler world - I am a proud owner of a 2000 Mainship 390.
I bought this boat 2 weeks ago. Does anybody know of any Diesel engine classes in Southern Florida. I live in Miami. I have a Yanmar 300HP. I found a place in St Petersburgh - Yanmar Recreational Marine - but they don't have any classes scheduled. I want to do my own maintenance and know how to troubleshoot. I do not want an online class as I learn better with hands on training. We plan to cruise the Bahamas early next year - so this gives me 6 months to learn the boat! Gulp!
As a side, we went out this weekend and anchored for a swim. a storm suddenly came and the anchor was dragging to a dock. Couldn't start the engine! Quickly read the manual - apparently if the boat is even slightly in gear the engine will not start - tragedy averted - but highlights how little we know!

Mastry Engine Center in St Petersburg is the Yanmar distributer in your area. Their website indicates that they have diesel engine classes. See http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/diesel-training-southern-florida-39602.html

Your anchoring techniques will improve and your boat/engine knowledge will also improve as you experience issues that have to be dealt with. All part of the boating experience!

Do you have the Yanmar 6LY or the Yanmar 6LP engine. Both were offered in the 300 hp range. I suspect it is the bigger 6LY-UTE engine at a nominal 315 hp.

David

Thanks David.
Mastry Engine is the one I've been trying to register for for about a month now.
They will eventually have some classes - they just don't know when.
I guess I'm just a little impatient and wanted other options.
As I say, I have so much to learn.

Welcome Paul,
While you're waiting for a class, there are no reasons why you can't do a basic service. Oil change and filters are fairly simple. Your manual should explain that with a few pictures.
You have to get intimate with your diesel engine and the rest of your boat to let her know you really care. Then she will look after you.

In my humble opinion just as important as the engine is the fuel system. My engine never let me down in 11 years of use, but it did die 3 times, all from fuel delivery issues between the engine and the tank.
Todays diesel engines are crazy reliable, that does not mean not to take some classes, but don't overlook the fuel system, the transmission or the rest of the drive line. Any of them can bring you to a screeching halt

:socool:

Call Shearwater in Stuart and see what they recommend.

Have you had a formal basic boating class? Good time to get one if you have not had one already.

How about the person who surveyed the engine(s) for you when you bought the boat? They are typically well equipped for this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom