Stainless steel lift muffler with the "drips."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
My starboard lift muffler was leaking so I pulled it and used three sticks of JB Weld Water Weld to fix it.

P1010004.jpg Muffler in place.

P1010008.jpg Muffler with repairs

P1010009.jpg Muffler back in place.

What timing!

Of my 3 exhaust systems, I only have one of these. It's on the generator and the most difficult to get to and inspect. I was just wondering to myself just this morning how I'd know if it was going bad. Can they be taken apart and visually inspected? Are there indications in the way the exhaust/water mixture exits the boat? I had questions like that in my head.

Now that I've seen your failure and repair, I'm wondering: If it's leaking on the outside, might there be significant corrosion on the inside, and how would one know?

I would not like using SS for a muffler. Too much opportunity for corrosion. The one in the photo above looks like it could be easily replaced with an off-the-shelf fiberglass muffler like Centek and other brands. Not too expensive.

I patched mine in the same manor with West Systems 12 years ago and (knock on wood) it is still sound.

I would not like using SS for a muffler. Too much opportunity for corrosion. The one in the photo above looks like it could be easily replaced with an off-the-shelf fiberglass muffler like Centek and other brands. Not too expensive.

+1

Centek makes a great product with numerous sizes. Can't imagine you couldn't find an off the shelf exact replacement. The pictured one is an accident waiting to happen.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom