Perko spreader light replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got a pair of Perko spreader lights up on the mast. One's burnt out and the other would no doubt fail soon after if I didn't replace them both at once.

On the EB47FB they're not mounted in a terribly convenient location. I can either precariously balance a ladder or attempt to hinge the mast down. I'm likely going to have someone else do it, but for the sake of labor saving, does anyone make a direct replacement that'll mount in the same holes?

I'm not talking just the bulb, it appears Marinebeam makes an LED replacement that would work. I wondering if anyone else is making a replacement that'd fit the same mounting holes as the Perko. It'd save on the effort if it could bolt right up in the same holes.

Two of these.
PERKO Inc. - Catalog - Lighting Fixtures - Adjustable Spreader Light [0280]

They're on the back side of the mast, which is not easily reachable with a ladder from the flybridge. Nor from the cockpit below without a pretty tall ladder. The mast has a hinge but it'd require loosening/removing probably most of the bimini canvas. The thought being to use a line from the bow, but there's not a clear path without dragging a line across the helm fiberglass.

Had I known one was burned out I'd have replaced them when it was on the hard back in April. I don't need these replaced 'bad enough' to pull it out of the water again.

Supposedly there's an LED bulb replacement but it depends on the ring being of one type or another (metal retaining ring vs rubber/plastic) and would be another part to order. I can't readily tell the condition of the current one without the same effort to replace it.

I know all sorts of alternatives can probably be 'made to fit' and I'll certainly entertain that option, once I've determined there's not a direct replacement.

My thinking is if I can line up a direct replacement it'll hasten the replacement process once we decide which method to pursue (ladder or mast).

Attachments

• Fig%200280[1].jpg
    Fig%200280[1].jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20180522_200930.jpg
    20180522_200930.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 201
I wanted to see the bulb you mentioned so I went to Marinebeam. I found that they sell a complete fixture as well as the bulb. Of course they don’t say the distance between holes but it would be worth a call to ask them.
https://store.marinebeam.com/stainless-steel-par36-led-spreader-lights/

Seadog makes a cheaper knock off of the Perko light but it’s not led. They also don’t tell us the distance between centers on the holes! Seems like a lot of people would like that dimension. Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

I just put in an order with Marine Beam a few days ago. I figured it'd be worth a call come Monday.

You'd think this would be posted somewhere, wouldn't you? But I've not come across any diagrams or dimensions for it. Hmmm, maybe a search for Perko on the web.archive.org might bring it up from a past snapshot...

No such luck, the instruction pages didn't make it into the archive.

Wayback Machine

I'll call them next week and find out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom