Prairie 29 Portlight Gaskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willow-B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maggie B
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
Hi All,
My 1979 Prairie 29 portlights are leaking. I am currently searching for the gaskets for these portlights. The portlights Im speaking of are in the VeeBerth, Head and Hanging Locker. I did locate a source of leaks on the lower corners where they are very close to the walkway/side decks. A bit of 4000 sealed them up nicely. But still have small leaks when experiencing driving rains. These gaskets are quite hard. Thanks for any direction.

I am replacing all my portholes with New Found Metals ports. The old ones were PYHI and no parts are available. Also at 30 years they had reached end of life with brittle plastic. One of the things I did as a stop gap until I was ready to replace them was installing rain shields over the old portholes. They made a significant difference in the leaks. Basically stopped all the leaks.

Thanks for the response. This is exactaly what I figured was the case. My portlights are closer to 40 and are holding up pretty well so far. The gaskets.. not so much. Looks like I have replacement portlights in my near future.

Hopefully you don’t have 11 portholes to replace. It wasn’t cheap, but they are really nice.

Not 11, only 4.. Will be aboard soon and will decide on course of action...
Thanks...

That isn’t so bad then. I would just bite the bullet and change the portholes. You will love the new ones.

The source psneeld posted is good. Most online suppliers have same. Carefully remove the rubber O ring. Snip it once to lay it out to measure. Also. Inspect the profile. Most of this is simple O shaped. Some is D, some has a ‘wiping ring’ Q. Then you can order bulk o ring rubber to replace. My experience has been to work the oring into the groove by stretching it. Then DONT cut it immediately. Let it relax. Then an hour later you can snip with scissors and rubber glue the ends together. Don’t superglue it IN the frame. Just glue the ends together. Make sure the seam is at the top middle. They also have several densities (called durometer) available. Get the softest available. It doesn’t last as long as OEM, but the age of the plexiglass/ plastic windows can’t be stressed too much. The softer rubber is easier on the existing frame and dogs.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all for the info. I placed an order with Defender for Beckson pre-1982 seals. I will update all with my result. Thanks..

I have the part numbers for the original porthole replacement parts we bout a bunch of spares about 10 years ago

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom