Oscillating Multitool uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I'd like to hear the experiences and comments of anyone who has used an oscillating multitool around the boat. They sound pretty useful, I'm wondering how well they work when sanding teak up close to the fiberglass. How well they and remove any varnish left after scraping and smooth the teak without scratching the fiberglass for example the teak "hatband" around the flybridge joint and other uses on the boat.
Thanks
Steve W

We used one to trim the edges (old flooring) off the hatches for our allure install. *They work, but sometimes are tedius and a plain old chisel worked faster.

I bought a Fenn many years ago when that was the only type of this tool available. I was building out a bare hull and deck trawler and it save my behind more than once. I think, considering the cheap prices of the available tools that it is a must have tool. On my current boat I had to cut many rectangular holes in the overhead console for instruments and I used the plunge blade. I don't know how I could have done this without the Fenn. Buy one for sure...

Ron

There are now good alternatives to the pricey Fein Multitool. It is a good tool, the best of the bunch. Some offerings are poor but some are quite good.
The Fien was, for many years, the only tool but the patents ran out a few years ago.

If you are a pro and/or expect to really use it a lot and heavily over many years the Fien will be the way to go. However, if like most of us you need it for a few jobs now and again, one of the other units will likely do a darn fine job.

I borrowed a Fien, it was an older unit, and it could get into areas that would be difficult to impossible with a sabre saw. However there were parts of the job that were better done with other tools.

I will point out there are pneumatic autobody sabre saw type tools that would come close. The whole tool body is in line with the blade, and quite small, rather than at 90o which is typical. I Don't know if there are electric versions.

In my experience the tools themselves seem very similar and there are now many lookalikes however the most important thing is the range of "blade devices" you can get for cutting, sanding, polishing etc. By far and away Fein have the greatest range of blades for many different applications. Make sure that whatever multitool you buy ( I have a Bosch 240V) you can get an adaptor to use the fein blades as well as the native (ie Bosch in my case) blades. Also Bosch make a 12V version which I am thinking about getting for more convenience but apparently the charge only lasts for about 15 mins before you need to recharge. So good for quick jobs when mains power is problematic.

Fantastic for tight cuts, plunge cuts etc. Very worthwhile in my view.

The tools are great , and are very handy on old boat repairs .

I use my Master Mechanic chepo version all the time. The tools are fantastic!

FF wrote:
The tools are great , and are very handy on old boat repairs .
*+1

Just got a Dremel Multi a few days ago. Looking forward to trying it out. First project is to use it to sand off the old paint on the boat's aluminum window frames after scraping the loose stuff off. Wonder if the flexible scraper blade would be useful in getting the worst of the silicone caulk off from around the window frames (hate that silicone) and if it would do any damage to the nearby gelcoat, even if protective tape were used.

I was very reluctant to shell out the big bucks for the Fenn model, but tids got me the Dremel version for a gift a while ago, and I have found it comes in handy in a lot of ways. I've used the little detail sander more than anything. Replacements for the saw/scraper attachments seem to be pricey -- also, note that the blades are not always interchangeable between brands. I think Harbor Freight has an el cheapo versoin also -- can't comment on quality.... but you still seem to get what you pay for.

ARoss wrote:
*I think Harbor Freight has an el cheapo versoin also -- can't comment on quality.... but you still seem to get what you pay for.
*I bought the cheapo version from Harbor Freight just to try the tool concept (I'm a skeptic) and it has been a great addition to my tool box.* I'm a contractor and it's saved my butt on several occasions.* I*use it frequently and it's going on 2 years.* I can't imagine how a more expensive version could do any better.* HF puts it on sale frequently and it's lower priced now than when I bought it.

Gary

A volkswagen will get you from point A to point B. A Mercedes will make you look forward to the trip from A to B, and the trip back. A knockoff Fein tool will cut and sand.. A Fein tool will let you still feel your fingers after using it for a few hours. A knock off will leave your hand hot and tired from the vibration. Many people don't use a tool often enough or feel they will need a quality tool. When you really need a quality tool, it's nice to know you have one and aren't trying to fix a pocket watch with a claw hammer.

Now as someone mentioned before, Fein tools won't do everything. But, what it does do, it does very well. If you're sanding the hull, ripping 2x4's, or drilling holes you need a different tool.

Ken

VAtrawlerguy wrote:ARoss wrote:
*I think Harbor Freight has an el cheapo versoin also -- can't comment on quality.... but you still seem to get what you pay for.
*I bought the cheapo version from Harbor Freight just to try the tool concept (I'm a skeptic) and it has been a great addition to my tool box.* I'm a contractor and it's saved my butt on several occasions.* I*use it frequently and it's going on 2 years.* I can't imagine how a more expensive version could do any better.* HF puts it on sale frequently and it's lower priced now than when I bought it.

Gary

*+1

I have the HF version and just leave it on the boat.* It's great for plunge cuts for new switches or control panels.* I've used mine at least a dozen times on the head conversion, windlass and tank monitors.* Great for those tight spaces and perfect LOW DUST cuts for panel mounts.* I haven't even gotten around to trying the sander yet.* Maybe this spring...

I bought the HF tool. It's OK, but it's hard to keep the blades tight and in the right position. It works, though.

If you've used a lot of tools in your life, you will quickly recognize this as a "cheap" tool. In retrospect, I wish I had bought a better one but not the $400 original version.

I am glad this thread came up. I have a Fein Multimaster kit that I got for free last year (wife works at an online store and it was returned)**and I have not used it yet other than to try cutting a piece of PVC pipe. This thread is giving me some ideas in how and where to give this tool a test.

I have a Fein onboard and it's my second favorite tool behind the cordless drill. Now I have a trawler with a LOT of wood, so it gets a lot of use. I have no doubt it will out live me, and possibly my son who will inherit it!

I have the Dremel multi-tool, but I notice that the Fein has a blade made to cut out the caulked seams of teak decks. Are the blades interchangeable or are there adapters to use Fein blades in the Dremel tool?

Thanks,
dvd

dvd wrote:
I have the Dremel multi-tool, but I notice that the Fein has a blade made to cut out the caulked seams of teak decks. Are the blades interchangeable or are there adapters to use Fein blades in the Dremel tool?

Thanks,
dvd
Having just been to Home Depot for a flexible scraper blade for my new Dremel, I noticed that there are indeed such adapters.

I'm replacing my carpet with Amtico teak and holly and I've already used the oscillating tool to cut the carpet flush bext to the bench seat and cabinets that were installed after the carpet. It's going to be just the thing for undercutting trim to fit the teak flooring in.

OK, it's not really teak, it's a high quality laminate about 1/8" thick.

I've used it to make cutouts for plotters and rectangular switches.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 09:48:35 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom