Mast/Boom Reinstall? Or just Give Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCycle

Vessel Name
Shalimar
Vessel Make
Ka Shing 36 Sundeck
Hello. We are new 1st time Trawler owners ,and cant figure out the mast system for our 36' 1985 Ka Shing.
The boat has sat shrinkwrapped for years, with mast system disconnected. We're not even sure we have all the parts.
We've got 2 long posts, one is a boom, and the mast holds wires for radios, etc.
We also have another random bracket (found in a cubby), and a small floor mount.
We did buy some Stainless Steel Nuts & Bolts that fit the floor fixture.
There's no marks on the Mast where it would have connected to boom before.

We've searched You Tube for help, to no avail. And, there's no similar boats around.
At this point, Most of the family is in favor of not re-hanging,and just going without, buying a handheld radio, installing a separate anchor light and calling it a day.
But ,we'd like to figure this mess all out and get it re-installed.
I'll post some pics below of the parts we've got.
If anyone can provide direction how to connect these or if we're missing parts, we'd appreciate it. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20180717_210013.jpg
    20180717_210013.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 20180717_185631.jpg
    20180717_185631.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20180717_185447.jpg
    20180717_185447.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 162
It looks like you have what you need to re-install. Deck plate for the mast, clamp for the boom. You need to find the standing rigging that supports the mast (forward, aft and port/starboard using those spreaders).

First welcome aboard. I would try to reinstall it since it will probably hold not just the anchor light, but maybe the steaming light and various antennas.

You could give IKEA a call.:)
Welcome aboard.

I wish my boat had mast and boom,it comes in handy for lifting,dinghy,large dog, etc. Definitely refit it,and of course check the electricals as you go, you might want to swap the anchor light to a LED.

Good points so far.

If you have a steadying sail with your package, the boom will need to be mounted at a height to suit the luff (vertical length of the sail). If not, You can mount at whatever height suits your needs for lifting dinghy etc, and still gives room for storage underneath it.

It looks like you have what you need to re-install. Deck plate for the mast, clamp for the boom. You need to find the standing rigging that supports the mast (forward, aft and port/starboard using those spreaders).

+1

Thank you. I'm guessing the standing rigging are those wire- looking things... sure hope we come across someone local who gets it. Looks like a ball of mess and a frustrating few hours.

Good points so far.

If you have a steadying sail with your package, the boom will need to be mounted at a height to suit the luff (vertical length of the sail). If not, You can mount at whatever height suits your needs for lifting dinghy etc, and still gives room for storage underneath it.
Rumor has it we have potential for sail, but it is MIA along with our bimini top. So, potentially we would just use boom for lifting, if at all.

Great points everyone. Thank you. Call me stupid, but what connects the bottom of the mast to boat? There's no bracket, just flat end of pole. Just not seeing it.

Greetings,
Mr. LC. You second last picture shows the deck mounting plate. There should be a fitting at the base of the mast that mates with the plate. Do you have a picture of the base of the mast, please?

If all else fails, find a friendly sailboat owner. Nothing involved with the mast/boom set-up and rigging that most blow boaters will not understand.

Good suggestion Chris. I've been semi-stalking anything that looks similar on a boat. .
RTF here's a photo of the entire pile of what we have, and a zoom of one end. I've got to google more of these words, so i might know what ARoss & you all are referring to . :ermm:

Attachments

• whole.jpg
    whole.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 233
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 185
Greetings,
Mr. CL. Looks to me you need the item Mr. AR noted (post #12) and some of those "wire looking thingy's" and possibly some turnbuckles. Hard to tell with all the ropes and such. Might be very little needed.

I'm in the "PUT IT UP" crowd but IF you opt not to, save all the pieces you have. You never know what's coming in the future.

LCycle,
You appear to be missing the fitting to attach the mast to the base plate. It would be a similar to the fitting on the inner end of the boom, but larger to suit the diameter of the mast.

You need what ARoss suggested, although I can't see it it in the pic.

Thank you. I'm guessing the standing rigging are those wire- looking things... sure hope we come across someone local who gets it. Looks like a ball of mess and a frustrating few hours.

Wow, if a "frustrating few hours" is daunting, I suggest you sell the boat and go for something easier to entertain yourself.

Boats are several years of frustration!!! If not, then you are not doing the maintenance right.....LOL

LCycle,
You appear to be missing the fitting to attach the mast to the base plate. It would be a similar to the fitting on the inner end of the boom, but larger to suit the diameter of the mast.

I finally have some wifi so was able to look at those photos and I think AusCan is correct. The fitting on the bottom of the mast would be very similar to that on the boom. If you don’t have one, you should be able to find a rigger to find one or have one made up.

I would definitely restore the mast and boom. In your situation, I would ask around among the local sailors and ask them for referrals for a good rigger. They can get you setup pretty quickly.

I think you should give up and just give it to me....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

After reading these comments, I definitely think we need some locals to assist now, as Dhays suggests. Maybe a sailboater , since trawlers are few and far between in our neck of the woods
And Jbear - you'll be 1st on the list, should we just ditch the whole thing

Just a consideration. Our boat, which we just sold, the boat came with the same setup you have only complete. We chose to cut the mast down and use only the mast for antennas, anchor light, radar detector etc. The reason being was we were covering the cockpit so we couldn't hoist anything aboard with it, we had little use for a steadying sail on the Great Lakes, and thirdly it was too tall for the fixed bridges on the Trent and Erie canal systems and we didn't want to bother putting it up and down. Just a thought.:banghead:

Wish mine still had its mast. PO removed it.

If u don’t give lightning a good mast to hit, consider the effect of hitting the next items down. [emoji848]

I just had a mast and boom custome made, because the PO lost it overboard. :blush: Search the internet for pictures... study them, you'll see it in no time.

Dave

Dave. There was a mast with cables found in the vicinity of Birch Bay a few years ago. Was at our marina laying around for a while, Might be yard art now!

Just a consideration. Our boat, which we just sold, the boat came with the same setup you have only complete. We chose to cut the mast down and use only the mast for antennas, anchor light, radar detector etc. The reason being was we were covering the cockpit so we couldn't hoist anything aboard with it, we had little use for a steadying sail on the Great Lakes, and thirdly it was too tall for the fixed bridges on the Trent and Erie canal systems and we didn't want to bother putting it up and down. Just a thought.:banghead:

Good point on the bridges. A few here are draw but not all. If we ever get this up, I can't see it coming down.

I lower/raise mine pretty regularly back and forth to Florida on days where the bridges will impact travel for more than an hour or so.

PHP:
Looking at post #15, you’re looking at the wrong end of the gear... here’s the fitting...hmm, didn’t want to attach thepic.look on the lower right of the photo in post 15

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom