Transom Soot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much you can do to keep it off. The only product that works good for me is Spray 9.

Another factor in how much soot you produce is how fast do you throttle up? If you advance the throttle quickly the turbo likely won't have enuff boost to get the proper air/fuel ratio. Think of it as having too big of an accelerator pump on a carb. It dumps a bunch of raw fuel in and the air flow hasn't had time to get going in yet and the engine bogs and possibly belches a little black exhaust (running rich). Diesel engines operate on the same principle.

Over the years we have had good luck removing the soot from the stern of boats using regular hair shampoo. Don't know if dandruff type makes any difference. If the soot stains the gelcoat, then all bets are off without some pretty aggressive intervention. Chuck

"It dumps a bunch of raw fuel in and the air flow hasn't had time to get going in yet and the engine bogs and possibly belches a little black exhaust (running rich). Diesel engines operate on the same principle."

True, but few on this board are attempting to get up on the plane.

Going from idle to,,WOW!!! 1400rpm to trawler crawl seldom belches black smoke as a fish killer will.

Low speed black smoke is an engine problem , not a dopy operator.

FF wrote:

True, but few on this board are attempting to get up on the plane.

Low speed black smoke is an engine problem , not a dopy operator.
*I do get up on plane, but Moonstruck has a self regulator to keep from speeding up too fast. *When the turbos spool up, there would be a danger of throwing the crew over the stern. *I would put a smiley face here, but it is true.

Moonstruck wrote:*
I do get up on plane, but Moonstruck has a self regulator to keep from speeding up too fast. *When the turbos spool up, there would be a danger of throwing the crew over the stern. *I would put a smiley face here, but it is true.
On the other hand, lack of a regulator might just come in handy sometime. And I will put in a
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 11th of December 2011 01:54:48 PM

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:*
I do get up on plane, but Moonstruck has a self regulator to keep from speeding up too fast. *When the turbos spool up, there would be a danger of throwing the crew over the stern. *I would put a smiley face here, but it is true.
On the other hand, lack of a regulator might just come in handy sometime. And I will put in a
biggrin.gif

*The self regulator is my right arm. *When the crew is securely seated, it is amazing how this boat will accellerate. *Flywright and the other jet jockeys know the feeling accellerating down the runway. I will put smiiley here---maybe two.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
* That's one for each big Yanmar.

Moonstruck wrote:Flywright and the other jet jockeys know the feeling accellerating down the runway.
*Unless there is an afterburner and a cat involved it will never compare to a lightly loaded turboprop on water injection.

" Unless there is an afterburner and a cat involved it will never compare to a lightly loaded turboprop on water injection."

Turboprop is simply a turbine and gear box , that will take 6-9 seconds to spin up from idle.

THe good old radial 3350 , supercharged with PRT and water injection (51 inches manifold with the water pumping) accelerates like any gas engine , almost instantly.

But then I date my self ..

FF wrote:
Turboprop is simply a turbine and gear box , that will take 6-9 seconds to spin up from idle.

THe good old radial 3350 , supercharged with PRT and water injection (51 inches manifold with the water pumping) accelerates like any gas engine , almost instantly.
I hear what you are saying but I excluded the recips because the post was about turbines.

And, the single shaft engines only have to accelerate 3 or 4 percent so their respose is just about the same (better in some cases) than the big recips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom