Stamskin One fabric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maerin

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Make
Solo 4303
I recently had new upholstery fabricated in JAX. Our 10 yr old upholstery was getting tired and very worn. Not surprising for full-time use. We considered leather, but the fabricator suggested Stamskin One, a relatively new product that is far more durable than any vinyl currently in use, and it has a finish that is more comfortable and very easy to clean. It's highly rated, and almost as expensive as leather, but is supposed to wear better. It carries a 7 yr warranty.

I didn't ask about how other jobs with the product came out, I learned a bit later that ours was the first, my mistake. But it looks great, has the look of soft leather, isn't hot to sit on, and is very soft to the touch.

Now, a little over a month out, we've discovered that this stuff seems to be indestructable. Nothing sticks to it. Uh, that includes butts. As well as thighs, backs, and spilled mustard. Butts??

Shower curtain and Wesson oil comes to mind, but not as quick-acting. It was a bit odd at first; you just sort of very slowly ooze down like a gumby following the contour of the seat. Who'd a thunk. Very weird, and quite annoying. We've taken to sitting on those grippy shelf liner things, it helps, but even they slide off. So just skootch back up every few minutes. I'm to the point I want it gone if there's no other solution.

To his credit, the fabricator has not abandoned me. He's been responsive, and seems to be willing to work with me to find a solution, although the boat is now 5 states away. He's been left hanging out to dry by his supplier, unfortunately. I'm attempting to contact the manufacturer, occasionally they'll respond to a consumer more readily than to their actual customer, I've seen this in the service business, but that was then. I'm not sure if I'll even get a reply.

So the outcome has yet to be determined, but at this juncture, I wanted to relate our experience with this highly rated product in case others may be considering its use. Ask if the uphosterer has had previous experience with the product and in particular, the sliding issue. It's doubtful that we're alone in the experience.

Attachments

• DSCN0587_resize.jpg
    DSCN0587_resize.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 99
silicone-elastomer coated polyester jersey, never heard of it but it does sound interesting. I have always used ultra-leather a polyurethane product. It too is very indestructible and can be cleaned with acetone. The skooching problem might be a result of seat design. In other words your experience might not be any different with leather or ultra-leather. What was the fabric before.

I doubt thar either leather or Ultra Leather would be as slippery. We have both in our boat and love them. Good info about a new product, thanks for sharing.

I would have the fabricator, or someone, put a slight upward tilt to the seat's bottom. Stick a shim of some kind under the lip and see how that works. Hard to slide uphill.

I think caltexflanc may have something, Maerin. I fought a similar battle with a settee that came with the boat. Just was not comfortable - seemed like it wanted to push you out of the seat onto the deck. I discovered that whoever fabricated the settee (apparently custom built to fit in the available space) had taken "level" for the piece in his shop without considering the angle of the deck when the boat is at rest. A 1" shim under the front legs pretty much cured the problem.

Then, when I had new cushions made, the upholsterer added bolsters on the "front" of the cushion. Also helped the problem. Maybe your guy can modify the existing cushions without a lot of trouble?

The design is identical to the previous cushions that were covered with Rave® vinyl. The Rave did not share the slippery-ness, that's why it came as a surprise. Same basic shape, different covering. The foam was renewed, and is slightly different, but the old cushions were used as a pattern, so there can't be enough difference to eject you from the seat.

I'm certain the silicone-based product is at the root of the problem, and I suspect that there won't be much in the way of a solution other than a re-do with an alternate material. Which is a shame because the Stamskin is really nice looking, and has a great "hand". I might be able to overlook the annoyance if this was a weekend boat, but it is home, and I got no where else to park my butt.

Seat belts were already suggested, but I have serious concerns about being trapped if the boat sinks while I'm asleep in front of the TV, drooling away. :eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0589_resize.jpg
    DSCN0589_resize.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Steve, both that helm seat and especially those dinette seats were slippery material. The angle and bolsters made all the difference.

Steve, both that helm seat and especially those dinette seats were slippery material. The angle and bolsters made all the difference.

Our boat has bolsters similar to yours. It really does help.

My experience is that ultra leather, leather and vinyl have the same amount of friction on my cloths. I find bare skin sticks to vinyl but not leather and ultra leather. Since you didn’t have any issues with vinyl I suspect that you can use ultra leather to achieve your goal.

Skin may not stick to ultra leather but my labs hair would. The stuff was like a magnet for her fur. Sure feels good to the fingers though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom