PSS Leaking water feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarradeen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yarradeen
Vessel Make
Harriscraft 48
TF People

I am having some leaking around the nipple connecting water feed to PSS seal.

Is this serviceable without dropping the shaft?

Pictures tell the story. Only leaks when under pressure IE engine running. Not a large leak more of a seep.

Recommendations?

Thanks
AV

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 92
  • file1.jpg
    file1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 98
  • file2.jpg
    file2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 96
  • file3.jpg
    file3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
That one looks like it has a nylon hose adapter. You should be able to remove the adapter and either reinstall it with sealant or install a new one. The shaft shouldn't have to be removed, but I don't like to tackle stuffing box repairs with the boat in the water. If the nylon adapter snapped off while you were trying to remove it, the job could be more complicated while a steady stream of water is coming out of the hole.

Ted

Not totally sure I am correct but I believe the problem hose fitting can be removed without concern. I think it only feeds (lubricating/cooling water to the rotating seal. Easily checked by disconnecting the opposite end of the feed line (engine off) to check for water ingress. Have mole grip clamps ready just in case to clamp off tubing. Should replace nylon fitting with stainless and wrap thread with teflon tape. If the nylon fitting does happen to snap, just drill it out with an undersized drill bit.

Do not replace with stainless unless the manufacturer says OK.... Not sure how it will interact with the carbon seal, but no matter as the nylon fittings have proved their worth for decades.

Usually water will come in through them unless they are clogged....but the flow is no big deal if you are all set with sealant.

If worried about a failed repair just have some plumbers putty or butyl tape ready to plug the hole with tape or a clamp to keep it in.

Last edited:
The fitting threads into a stainless block, not into the carbon. Mine was definitely stainless - no problem.

I would make sure to have an EasyOut set available when you do the work since that could be used to remove a broken stub of the fitting, if it shears off in the seal.

Does moving the hose change the water leak? Are you sure the leak is between the nylon fitting and the stainless ring, or the hose and the nylon fitting?

The fitting threads into a stainless block, not into the carbon. Mine was definitely stainless - no problem.

Pretty sure the stainless collar locks screws to the shaft, making attaching a hose difficult.

But the newer PSS seals come with stainless barbs, might still check with the company, but seems they are compatible now.

Attachments

• pss-type-a-seal-main-img.jpg
    pss-type-a-seal-main-img.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
If you remove it when the boat is in the water you will have quite the little squirter on your hands. I presume they used a poly fitting to reduce the risk of cracking the carbon. You might ping PYI to see if they have any issues replacing the poly fitting with one of their new ss ones... PYI Inc. | Contact PYI Inc.

Not totally sure I am correct but I believe the problem hose fitting can be removed without concern. I think it only feeds (lubricating/cooling water to the rotating seal. Easily checked by disconnecting the opposite end of the feed line (engine off) to check for water ingress. Have mole grip clamps ready just in case to clamp off tubing. Should replace nylon fitting with stainless and wrap thread with teflon tape. If the nylon fitting does happen to snap, just drill it out with an undersized drill bit.
NO, you should NOT replace it with stainless. The PSS instructions specify nylon ONLY.

Looks like the new seals do have stainless barbs but have a nylon bushing for separation.

Attachments

• PSS_Type_A_seal_blow_apart_675f896a-f037-4bcd-a0ab-2cf2183887b5.jpg
    PSS_Type_A_seal_blow_apart_675f896a-f037-4bcd-a0ab-2cf2183887b5.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 61
Usage

yarradeen

What type of usage are you having this operate under.

I have heard around the marina the following.

low speed - like 8 knots & under, usually do not need a pressure water feed stream of water to feed them.

You can use the hose as a way to be sure no air gets trapped in there as I have seen even scuba bubbles from cleaning a hull cause an issue if no vent hose. :eek:

Above that speed then you need the water feed.

Check with the manufacturer for specifics.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike

Back
Top Bottom