Closed on Mainship 30 Pilot 1998

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beekeepergreg

Vessel Name
Mayrose
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 pilot
So far so good.
The Captain loves marina life.
We are staying in Cape May NJ. thru July and possibly taking a slip in Pt. Pleasant area for the rest of the season.

Hope to see you on the water.

Greg and Rosie

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

Congrats!!! I had a 2004 Pilot 30 and had a great time with it!!!

Congrats on your Mainship
We love ours

Pics of New old Mainship 30 pilot

Here is a picture of our new old boat.
Greg

Attachments

• Photo Jun 16, 9 53 29 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 16, 9 53 29 AM.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 128
Very nice!!! Are we to assume 4LH-STE power???

She has the Yanmar 4LH-STE.
I can only find the two zinc's on the after cooler.
Are others on the salt water circuit?

Greg

Congrats on the Pilot. I have 2006 pilot and have not been disappointed.Try Toad marine or J Way enterprise, Bay Shore marine and they should have the parts you need

She has the Yanmar 4LH-STE.
I can only find the two zinc's on the after cooler.
Are others on the salt water circuit?

Greg

I had the LHA-STP. One would think they are similar but they are quite different. A little history. Basically the "A" stands for America....some (labor) group was getting upset that these engines were coming overseas fully assembled. So they started shipping short blocks from Japan and then hanging all of the accessories on over here in America....sourced from America. Meaning the waterpump on the LH engine is significantly different from the waterpump on the LHA engine....and significantly more expensive. I can find a waterpump for under $500 for the LHA. We were shopping for a buddy's LH and we could not find one under $1200.
Sorry...I don't mean to throw dollar signs at you so early in your ownership. Just realize that there is a big difference between the two engines(other than block).
Some of those differences were a good thing....like impeller access. Easy as ever on the LH. The LHA you had to take the alternator off and it was just easier to remove the entire pump...2 hour job versus a 20 minute job. So that is worth something!!!
I only know this because a close friend had the same vintage Pilot as you and we were always helping each other out on our boats.

I tend to evaluate boats on the basis of happy owners and with that grading scale in mind, you should be very happy with your Mainship Pilot.

Great to know.
I found two zinc's on the aftercooler.
Are there others?
Thanks
Greg

I would be very surprised if any Yanmar in a Mainship wasn't an "A" engine.

Also my understanding is that the "E" in STE is an export engine, ie not for the Japanese market, which may or may not apply to "A" engines. Can't remember what the P in STP represents but AFAIK it is the same engine as the STE.

I am also surprised that the 4LHA and the 4LH engines have different R/W pumps. At least on the 6LY, they are made by Johnson and are the same.

Yanmar does have arcane naming conventions and maybe no one really knows what they all mean ;-).

David

Attached is the name plate.
4LH-STE.
I do notice 4LHA's when looking up parts.
Greg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-11 16.09.32.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-07-11 16.09.32.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 85
Surveyors crack me up. He made a mistake on the model number AND also claimed that it is a "straight 6" engine.....

Yep my buddy's was definitely a 4LH and not an LHA. He was having waterpump issues and I was out of town with not a lot to do so I started sending him a bunch of waterpumps that I had found for under $500.....that is when I learned they were different. Actually very different.

Nice boat. What sort of a "high cruise speed do you get with that engine?

I have a 6LPA-STP and run around at about 16 MPH most of the time. Soft top versions of my boat, being about a thousand pounds lighter, go quicker.

Rich,
I believe the boat is under propped. It does about 19 knots. Our boat has a custom made hard top with soft sides.
Greg

Mine was over propped because it came out about 200 RPM short of the specified WOT for this engine on this boat, and it sooted up the side of the boat. However, it fast cruised about 19 MPH at 2900 RPM. I hated to lose the speed when I had the prop re-pitched, but the engine now makes spec RPM and sooting largely went away.

Congrats on a nice boat. I had the exact boat, including blue hull.

Baker is right, I had the 4LH version, and the parts are different (exactly as Baker says). He and I could compare notes on many aspects of our boats, but my engine’s parts list was different than the 4LHA’s.

JDT404,
Did you have an engine room access from the cabin?
I have electric panels under the steps.
Greg

Yes, my panels were up on bulk head wall above sink.

This is what is under the stairs.
I removed the white extensions---for the old owners dog.
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 32
On my 2005 30PII, that master battery panel is under the galley vanity. Under the companionway ladder (stairs to you land lubbers :)) is an access to the batteries, front of the engine, battery charger, air conditioner pump. I have had my head stuck through there hundreds of times as I ran various wiring to bother steering console and the power panel over the galley area. Gawd, I'd hate it if I had no access there!!!

Rich,
Do you have a picture of the access?
We were down you way for a wedding in Pensacola during Nate.
Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom