Forward Waste Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pappy Chris

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonshine
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
It appears that since my last pump out that my forward waste tank in my 40' Marine Trader has started a slow leak into the bilge.
What valuable information can anyone impart about replacement.*
There is a hatch in the V berth that I can see the tank and appears that it could be removed. It looks like a fairly small tank.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Pappy Chris

m/y Moonshine

Aransas Pass TX

Pappy,

I have a 34 ft MT that I am am refurbishing now.* Floor is open*and the holding tank is exposed.* In mine, it is a fiberglass molded tank under the steps leading to the fwd cabin.*All the plumbing to/from the tank comes out in my engine*room*bilge.* *I suspect that you could remove*your floor above it,*cut open the top of the tank , clean it out (awful job), repair the leak and reglass the open area and be good to go.* It doesn't look like an easy tank to take out because it was probably made in place.* Looks pretty thick walled to me.* You can stand on it without flexing it.

I will be working in the boat this weekend, converting the fwd head into a shower.* I*could take a closer look at it.** If you want, I will take a picture giving you a better idea of how it is constructed.

Bob

Bob-- I have a floor hatch in that forward cabin that I can look in at mine.

I tapped on mine and it sounded metal to me although it does look like it's glassed. I found some polypropolene tanks for about $100 on google shopping. Mine has a 30 gallon aft poly tank that serves the rear head and is Y'd to the front. I hope to replace the front tank with a 10 to 20 gallon poly tank. *I'm a great fan of plastic for tankage. *In the interim I have to isolate the rear from the front without dumping it into the bilge. I will try to get it pumped before I try that fiasco.

Pappy Chris

We had a front tank,* took out and plumbed the front head to the main holding tank which is about 40 ft away.* This also brought the bow water line up and/or allowed for more weight in the bow.* So might want to just leave*the tank*and run a hose to the main tank.*

I may just do that for a temp fix. *I was down sizing it up this evening and it would be very easy. My main tank is only 20' away.
Phil Fill wrote:
We had a front tank,* took out and plumbed the front head to the main holding tank which is about 40 ft away.* This also brought the bow water line up and/or allowed for more weight in the bow.* So might want to just leave*the tank*and run a hose to the main tank.*

The tank is tucked forward. It doesn't look like it will be to bad to remove it.*

Attachments

• 1. 005.jpg
    1. 005.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 1. 006.jpg
    1. 006.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 124
Pappy Chris wrote:
The tank is tucked forward. It doesn't look like it will be to bad to remove it.*
*That my friend is going to be a nasty job.* Empty it, then flush with clean water several times and when you think you have it do one more flush*and I'm still betting on it being nasty.

It will be coming out of there. *Being replaced with a roto molded plastic tank. I just have to figure out how large will fit through the opening without tearing up the forward cabin. Worst case I can relocate the water heater and set it in that place. Need a new water heater anyhow.

Cheers--Pappy Chris

Back
Top Bottom