Engine shut Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drago

Veteran Member
I recently purchased a Marine Trader 40 Sundeck and it has been sitting at the dock for some injector system work and rebuild. I had the pleasure to crank up the Volvo Penta TAMD 40's for a test run. Everything ran well and after docking I turned the ignition switches off and the engines would not shut down. Finally I found a manual shut-off on the injector pump and killed both engines. Doing it that way seems as if there be a solenoid switch to do the deed, but there is none. Does anyone know what the issue is?

I have a 1978 MS-34 with a TAMD40A and it has a button on the instrument panel to shut it off. There is NO IGNITION switch because a Diesel has no ignition. The key you turned only turns off the battery to the instruments and wont kill the engine. The button is usually labeled KILL And is usually next to the button called PREHEAT that you press for 15 seconds to get the engine ready to start.

Hold the KILL switch till the engine stops.

Last edited:
Look for a red button??

I thought there was a serious risk of frying the alternator diodes if you do what the OP did.
On L120s, you operate a pull cable which shuts off fuel. There will be something at the helm.

Mine (TAMD40B) has a key switch that you turn to ON and push down for the preheat. Turn key to start to activate the starter after holding down for about 10 seconds. There is a large black rubber covered button that you push to kill engine.

Mine (TAMD40B) has a key switch that you turn to ON and push down for the preheat. Turn key to start to activate the starter after holding down for about 10 seconds. There is a large black rubber covered button that you push to kill engine.

Same with a couple Volvo series I have run.....

on most of the Ford Lehman's I have seen, they all had
electric solenoid shutoffs, but I have read where the new solenoids were a PIA so manual shutoff cables were installed as an alternative.

Last edited:
Push the Stop button first then turn off the key???

Push the Stop button first then turn off the key???

Push and HOLD the kill button UNTIL THE ENGINE STOPS and THEN turn the key to off. The two events are separate. You could leave the switch on but the engine would not restart itself. The key just turns off the power to the instrument panel.

Last edited:
On mine you push and hold stop button til it stops then turn off key. If you leave the key on the alarms will start going off.

I like to hear the alarms just to know they are working:)

Thanks for all of the replies but there is no "kill" button or anything even resembling that. Nothing mechanical that I can see.

Bosch VE injector pump has a solenoid on the top toward the back. Only thing on the whole pump that has a wire on it. I think the Volvo version solenoid energizes to stop.

Put a voltmeter or test light on it to figure out what on the helm controls the stop. On some Volvos you rotate the key CCW for stop. Others have a button.

Push and HOLD the kill button UNTIL THE ENGINE STOPS and THEN turn the key to off. The two events are separate. You could leave the switch on but the engine would not restart itself. The key just turns off the power to the instrument panel.
That's what I meant. Sorry.

Thanks for all of the replies but there is no "kill" button or anything even resembling that. Nothing mechanical that I can see.

The button is not"mechanical" its electrical. But I hope when you find it you will report back. On mine its a 3/4" round rubber button. Might say KILL or STOP

How about a couple of photos of your helm station and instruments panel so we can see what you have? ............... :thumb:

Captain Obvious here. What does the manual say?

I don't have close ups of the helm station but will be on the boat in 2 weeks at which time I will download them. I live in Colorado and my boat is in Maryland.
Thanks

Had the same problem two weeks ago with my TAMD40B. There is an electrical shut off with the key in the 12 o'clock position. Solved the problem by cleaning the wires and the terminal on top of the injector pump.
g1Xg-KIs49LT-LzKCkT1CE_nYxw9BcLAvhtv1NyPrBmniCLUX1HiJBMA5zu1YNWl4RUmo6keWBcmB8U60LuHM-x3ZUUSTXCUTG2ukoBH8EYzIKZplnw_xnzwQke9uXoHKIl2hFNkHvw--rysv3ZkXT_lQ6YJr1jHa6a5s7QVxarU0PAuMwx8YAQRMzA6yz-KNTpBvJrU0Ig1vfvLwa-EhsyHZkhqYBpk-66dOxksu1G1IF-mncPJ1lpfx1DWwjA4g9NSx3eoclmnZ5TiEuvZr8e4h_P7Zol7HsHVZa61Ay4d0z5oSU5TzfRsHW1lYj0FgaBAE90oR0sBVfN3lFhT8EmfMtVIsX2Wys9yXM5LuozMILQJ6kfPM4nqG_Lt_LVcNwAXaBAkFf9qonXc0j0fUl5CXf8qq_DErNj4EW3JZJuRepKicTCVGg1gZavjxs4qupxUHqV7VVn1ATtvQ9vd0CpsWqCvYW8Jf7ryaqUp8WUDGUzA1TwSxMgXrr4l2IUfqvFKx506Oy3QUA6I_qqtY6rNDKWgt9CcKM0Na3hIBh6aKnqTa79koltq2HYeDDYbB9P4Z-l-cFmQAj4mTkfnXH2LrnZkq5pP7Fnj43D2=w266-h200-no

"I thought there was a serious risk of frying the alternator diodes if you do what the OP did."

Alts are fried by turning off the batterys when they are being charged.

Better rotary switches have field cut off terminals that will make it a non event, but few boat assemblers bother with installing or hooking them up.

A little late to the party, I hope you found your solution.

On my TAMD63's I need to turn the ignition keys counterclockwise to 10 or 11 o'clock and hold them there for a few seconds to shut down the engines.

We have the twin TAMD40B’s on our ‘85 Marine Trader. Our starboard engine was doing the same thing. Apparently the solenoid needs the electricity required to shut down the motor. Replace the solenoid and verify contacts, no more issue. The hubby is the diesel mechanic and he explained it to me as “the engine needs electricity to turn off. If it doesn’t have it, it’ll keep running even in the ‘OFF’ position.”

Thanks to all who replied to my post. After a closer inspection I found the solenoids and cleaned them out. It now works when the starter switch is moved to the 10 oclock position.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom