Jockey seat in a dinghy - anybody have and use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
I am still obsessing over what dinghy to buy. A regular console uses a lot of space in a small dinghy and puts the weight way back. Limits leg room too. I'm wondering if anyone has used a jockey seat and what opinions are about then from those who have used them.

For example:

455719.jpg

It goes in the middle of the boat, and occupies different space than a seat and console. It does keep your weight more forward, so less leaning forward to get on plane? These can be added to any rib, like a console.

Kinda awkward if its just you and you buddy. Like riding b*@#h on a motorcycle, but that’s just me.

It would keep you from gettng dinghy butt.

Maybe it's just me but that thing looks very uncomfortable. No back support, no lateral support.
No thanks.
455719.jpg

I kinda like it but am not finding any reason for it.

A steering/helm station and a seat. OK. But why join them? I can see me putting my legs to stbd close to shore w the shore to stbd and the otherway for the other way. But why not have a space between the helm station and the seat?
Mike “back support”? Would depend on how low the seat was or how high the floorboards to either side are. Or how athletic you are.

Last edited:
Yahoo! Be sure to equip it with a lasso. :blush:

There`s the horse to consider too.

Really it isn't that weird. Every jetski in the world is made that way. So is every motorcycle. (And every horse....)

In a small dinghy, there isn't room for a seat, legs, and a console. Either your legs are going underneath the steering wheel (like the Eurohelm stuff) or straddling the console - most consoles aren't made to do that. So the choices are Eurohelm (St. Croix has kinda quit making them) or jockey or do it yourself. Maybe I'll do the latter.

When landing the dinghy, if you are sitting under the wheel like a Eurohelm, you have to get out from under it to fend off or tie off. With the jockey, you can just stand up or step to either side. Also in a lively sea, you would be better able to take the slams. Those seem like the advantages - but I've never driven one.

I have a few hundred hours in that type of seat operating a 21' Zodiac Hurricane. I did not own the boat or chose that type of seat.

I feel it is one of the better choices for a boat seat. You may place your feet on the deck and support yourself in a seaway, taking some strain off of your spine (similar to a sport-touring motorcycle). You can grip the seat and it is easier to become one with the boat; more secure and safer. You are facing forward and have good visibility as no one is beside you. Controls and instruments are easy to place. As you mentioned, you may stand and move about unhindered. I have used conventional seats, stand-up bolsters, and leaning posts extensively in the years following my jockey seat experience. I prefer the jockey seat.

The Canadians are using this seating in their Coast Guard RHIBs (also Zodiac), so they must have found some merit in their design.

Last edited:
One significant advantage is that the 2nd person aboard adds their weight closer to the center of the boat than in most dinghies.

I have a few hundred hours in that type of seat operating a 21' Zodiac Hurricane. I did not own the boat or chose that type of seat.

I feel it is one of the better choices for a boat seat. You may place your feet on the deck and support yourself in a seaway, taking some strain off of your spine (similar to a sport-touring motorcycle). You can grip the seat and it is easier to become one with the boat; more secure and safer. You are facing forward and have good visibility as no one is beside you. Controls and instruments are easy to place. As you mentioned, you may stand and move about unhindered. I have used conventional seats, stand-up bolsters, and leaning posts extensively in the years following my jockey seat experience. I prefer the jockey seat.

The Canadians are using this seating in their Coast Guard RHIBs (also Zodiac), so they must have found some merit in their design.

I have a standard two person seat in my Caribe 12' with a standard console. I have no problem with that seat.
I also drive a 29' RCMSAR RIB with 3 "jockey" seats. For 40 knot cruising, especially when it is rough out, I prefer the Jockey seats. They are shock mounted, so going over big waves doesn't kill you, but I still need to use the foot rests in rough water, and basically stand on them to avoid spine jarring landings.
In dead flat conditions, they are fine, but no better than a standard seat. The ones we have are too tall for many, even for me on occasion and I am 6'. Nobody rides "Bit*h" on ours. Not nearly long enough for 2.
No, I wouldn't trade my standard seat in for a "jockey".

Last edited:
I am still obsessing over what dinghy to buy. A regular console uses a lot of space in a small dinghy and puts the weight way back. Limits leg room too. I'm wondering if anyone has used a jockey seat and what opinions are about then from those who have used them.

Check out the Le Croix 'Eurohelm' I put one on my Caribe C10X. The steering
wheel is on a stainless arm that projects from the starboard side of the dinghy. Where the arm turns from following the starboard side, they also mount the starter ignition key, choke, etc. There is NO obstruction to your feet and legs as there is NO console. Further, if you remove a key pin, you can pivot the steering wheel assembly down, for storage. I have had two of these on different dinghies and love them.

Captain Ron D

Check out the Le Croix 'Eurohelm' I put one on my Caribe C10X. The steering
wheel is on a stainless arm that projects from the starboard side of the dinghy. Where the arm turns from following the starboard side, they also mount the starter ignition key, choke, etc. There is NO obstruction to your feet and legs as there is NO console. Further, if you remove a key pin, you can pivot the steering wheel assembly down, for storage. I have had two of these on different dinghies and love them.

Captain Ron D

I have never seen that ,pretty cool setup!

I have never seen that ,pretty cool setup!

St. Croix has sold many of these in the northwest. I see them everywhere we go. Here is ours. It's a nice retrofit for the dinghy. The seat back folds down as well as the wheel. Makes it easy to stow tipped up on the stern davits. We also added the smaller bench in the front. I don't think St. Croix makes those anymore, though.

Attachments

• mv Archimedes Dinghy.jpg
    mv Archimedes Dinghy.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 87
I prefer tiller steer or side stick.

Check out the stick steering opposite of the engine controls. I've flown a couple Bass Trackers that were set up with this system. It's rather easy to get used to it. I was surprised.

l_1787550_6065464_0_010520171325_6.jpg

The problem with the St. Croix is that they don't really make them anymore. The product changed hands, and the response from the new builders is, "we don't have parts to make them and don't know when we will".

There are now several Chinese sourced alternatives, all of which appear to be significantly heavier. The original design is the Unihelm I think, made in Friday Harbor but they ceased many years ago.

I'd like to find some sort of sling seat, that would be slightly to starboard so I could handle the motor handle. Don't want any extra weight. Right now I either side on the tube or on three cushions on the dinghy floor. Not the best, but simple and works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom