How many skippers does it take to change a lightbulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeHorsfall

Vessel Name
Blue Monk
Vessel Make
Monk 36 #107
I know there’s an easy answer... My port running light is out, and I can’t seem to figure out how to change it. Can someone help? Much appreciated. MH

Attachments

• 6902D28C-94C6-4411-A0AA-E984C7B47EDF.jpg
    6902D28C-94C6-4411-A0AA-E984C7B47EDF.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 0FFC032D-1ACA-483F-AA1C-A413D5DAC224.jpg
    0FFC032D-1ACA-483F-AA1C-A413D5DAC224.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 94
have you taken the name board off the side of the flybridge and removed it from the name board ( screws through from the back).. then there should be screws to remove the plastic housing
HW

Ours is a much older style, but it looks as if there is a 'trap door' on the underside which may pop off to reveal a bolt which squeezes the top and bottom together.

Sniff around the catalogs for this model light, in hopes of finding the instructions. Cannot be rocket science.

Probably just pops off a mounting plate vertically. Then opens from behind. Mine have a little locking lever visible from the top; slide it sideways to release it for vertical lift-off.

If thats a button on the underside, its a Hella light.

Push the button and pull the upoer housing staight out, lead with the bottom.

Go gently and slow.

Look on bottom to see if Hella, then go on line for a oarts diagram and you might see how it works.

You shouldnt have to remove the nameboard for thed major brands I know of.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the replies. There are several suggestions I didn't think to try. I'll report back.

It's a Hella light

As psneeld diagnosed, it is a Hella light, and I was able to pop it off by pressing the button on the bottom - quite far up - and carefully unsnapping the housing from the bottom straight out. I replaced it with a 15V bulb, even though it called for a 10V bulb as embossed in the inside. I hope that is OK. West Marine didn't have any 10V bulbs. We changed the other one on the other side so I wouldn't have an uneven light show.

On my boat it takes zero. I replaced all the running lights with new LED fixtures.

If thats a button on the underside, its a Hella light.

Push the button and pull the upoer housing staight out, lead with the bottom.

Go gently and slow.

Look on bottom to see if Hella, then go on line for a oarts diagram and you might see how it works.

You shouldnt have to remove the nameboard for thed major brands I know of.

:thumb: Like he said. My boat's masthead light was like that. It's a bit of a fiddle getting it apart, but you do push tha square-looking area on the bottom upwards to disengage the internals from the exernals - and no - you won't gain much by demounting it from the wooden name board.

Oh, ok, I see NOW, that you got that ok. :facepalm:
Shoulda looked further down I guess. Yes, replacing the bulbs with LED also makes good sense, as Comodave suggests. You can get types that fit that housing style.

Last edited:
On my boat it takes zero. I replaced all the running lights with new LED fixtures.
The owner of the boat next to me did the same thing a couple of years ago. When the LED failed, he had to replace the whole running light. Hope you have better luck.

My experience with 12 volt LEDs works out to about a 4% failure rate in the 1st year and <8% in 5 years. I can live with that, but prefer to buy LED replacement bulbs instead of LED fixtures.

Ted

I have had the LED fixtures on 4 boats now. No failures so far.

Back
Top Bottom