Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leonard’s unique voice reading “Sound Of Silence” in tribute to Paul Simon.

La Mer,

Thank you for bringing Leonard Cohen back to the thread. I have been a fan of his music for many years. I particularly like his Dance Me to the End of Love. It was a poignant song about enduring love. I think I posted it on the thread earlier.

In fact there is another video that I particular like of the same song. I hope this doesn't count as a duplication. It is from the movie Scent of a Woman in which Al Pacino plays a blind person.

Last edited:
Dance Me to the End of Love was written on a very cheap dinky Casio synthesizer Leonard Cohen found in a tourist shop in Times Square. So, There is always Beauty in Simplicity.

Thanks, RT. It takes a lot of wind to blow a harmonica like that.

Ha! RTF posts a WTF. Some pretty weird things happened in the 70s. Your vid made me think of one of the oddest matchups of all time.

Ian, it's good to have you back on the music thread. We've been missing you. I hope you have been away cruising on your beautiful DeFever.

Bing Crosby and David Bowie at first blush seems an odd match up. However, they are both real singers all be it from different times. David Bowie has amazing range to his voice. If you remember I posted his video of Heroes earlier. Bing Crosby is often overlooked on this type of thread because we are so familiar with him. That is people of a certain age are.

Thanks, Don. I’ve been lurking and working—on the Defever. This trip we’ll find out if we can start on the northern part of the loop next month. So, busy/busy. Y’all have been posting some great music.

Just thought I would throw this in for fun. It is a cover of a ZZ Top number. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Last John Lennon's performances

Through all these great posts I listened to most of songs, I particulary noted John Lennon's performance in 1972 page #15 RT Firefly's great post #291 from the album One To One Benefits Concerts. One person of my family - a late French famous singer - was a big fan of John Lennon.

John Lennon played his last full-scale concerts on August 30, 1972 when John and Yoko performed two benefit concerts called One To One (One in the afternoon and One at night) at Madison Square Garden in New York with The Plastic Ono Elephant's Memory Band, made a profit school for retarded children in Willowbrook.

The shows, organized by ABC's journalist Geraldo Rivera also has Stevie Wonder, Roberta Flack and Sha Na Na. Before the concert, John buy tickets, worth $ 60,000 for the concert and volunteers gives pickers funds. The event raised more than $ 1.5 million to the Willowbrook School. As the crowd entering the stadium, they give them a tambourine and asked to shake it during the concert.

There is a poignancy to this album as it was the only rehearsed and full-length live performances of John’s solo career, and his first – and last – formal live concerts since the Beatles retired from the road.

Yoko produced the album and these two concerts also marked the last time that John and Yoko performed together on stage. Released in February 1986, the album made the US charts on 22 March and peaked shortly after at No.41. Sadly it is no longer available.

On November 28, 1974 (Thanksgiving's Day), Elton John appeared on stage at Madison Square Garden. Lennon was a surprise guest who had performed three songs that special night.

Here's one I had forgotten until hearing it on XM Radio yesterday. Looking Glass with Brandy.

Last edited:
Well, "kind of" a nautical theme to this one. Blondie and The Tide is High

This one from the 80s. The Pretenders and Back on the Chain Gang

Hope I didn’t post this already. One of the best ensembles ever—McCartney, Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Ringo, Billy Preston and a bunch of A-List players at the Concert for George. McCartney’s high harmony toward the end gives me goose bumps.

https://vimeo.com/138582044

Concert For George

Hope I didn’t post this already. One of the best ensembles ever—McCartney, Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Ringo, Billy Preston and a bunch of A-List players at the Concert for George. McCartney’s high harmony toward the end gives me goose bumps.

Thank you Sir for posting this Beautiful Performance. "Concert For George" was a marvelous tribute - better to say a Memorial - to «The Quiet Beatle».

This might be fun if you’re an ELO fan. They were one of the most innovative pop bands ever and Jeff Lynne is a certified musical genius, IMHO. The first version is from the very successful concert with full orchestra he gave in London in 2014 that sparked a lot of renewed interest in ELO.

Below is the same song by Jeff and his pianist, Richard Tandy. It’s an amazingly complex song to arrange just for guitar and piano, but they nail it.

Thank you for another great contribution, Ian. We have been priveleged to live through a great period of music. I have lived from the big band era to the present day. Here's another venerable group that I thought of. They had so many hits in the 50s and 60s.

It has indeed been a privilege to live in an age of such amazing music, Don. I doubt any generation has experienced, as it was happening, the sheer diversity we’ve witnessed. I do wish I’d been exposed to more music from other cultures like La Mer, Pilou, omc and BruceK have been posting—that’s one reason this thread is so enjoyable.

The Platters were one of my faves back in the day — as was this guy.

Here's one from one of our best county singers and song writers.

I had forgotten this one from 38 Special until hearing it on the 80s channel today.

Daly Wilson Big Band

Last century The Daly Wilson Big Band brought back the big band sound in Australia. I`ll go digging for a more mainstream piece, but this cover of a Eumir Deodato tune is worth hearing:

Daly Wilson Big Band: "Satin Doll"

Here`s that more mainstream Daly Wilson song, Satin Doll. If you like big bands in full flight I hope enjoy it:
Sounds like it was uploaded from a vinyl recording, pretty sure I`ve got it stashed away somewhere myself.
Marcia Hines is an Afro American singer brought to Australia from USA by the late Harry M Miller, who died this week. She must feature on other tracks. Still performing, as is her daughter Deni Hines.

Last edited:
Great post, Bruce. I for one love the big bands. Here's a version of Satin Doll that I paricularly like. It's the smooth sound of the Duke Ellington Orchestra.

Thanks Don, liked the Duke`s version too, how fortuitous someone took the trouble to film it. That double bass looks to have seen some service!

Here's a new group to me that was picked up off the Airstream site. Thanks for that one, Peter. Good Blue Grass sound with good harmony and good picking. Yee haw!

And another group I just stumbled across. There is so much talent out there. Here they are with a little novelty song. Enjoy. These girls are just full of music.

Last edited:
I don't recall anything from Tina Turner. I think that after a long career that she retired last year.

Here's one I particularly liked back in the 70s. Johnny Nash and I Can See Clearly Now.

Also one from the 70s I really liked. Orleans with Dance with Me.

Let's bring back a huge talent that we lost last year. Yeah, I'm talking about the man with the big voice, David Bowie. Here he is with Let's Dance.

Cdb

This is a shameless but good EW&F cover, by CDB, Sydney based harmony/R&B quartet, recorded at "The Basement" jazz venue Sydney in 2008. CDB was said to be "the ethic version of Human Nature", a harmony quartet who have performed often in USA, especially LA. Unlike this track, most of CDB`s work is original,they formed in the 1990s and got together again recently.

That’s a great rendition, Don. Love those voices. John Denver and Emmylou would be proud.

Here’s another one with sweet voices that flew under my radar until my sister-in-law played it for us.

Ian, I think the Dirt Band flew under everyone's radar. Loved it!

Here's one from a group that must have invented 4 part harmony.

And this duo did not do a bad job on 2 part harmony.

Back
Top Bottom