Helping someone out of the water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Duck44

Over the weekend, an elderly overweight non swimmer fell into the water at our marina. We managed to get him alongside an inflatable dinghy and hold him by his arms but there was no way we could pull him into the dinghy, not even a little bit. Eventually someone found a step ladder, and tied it to the side of the dock. We moved him over to that and he was able to climb out with assistance. I am wondering if we had taken the bung out of the dinghy and let it fill with water would it have made it easier to get him aboard? Anybody worked out a strategy to use with just two people in the dinghy and no other aids? Thanks, Richard

use 2 ropes or tarp and parbuckle him in if there are 2 strong places to tie to the dingy adout 4 feet apart.

If you can't get them in, get a rope around their chest to not lose them and call CG or 911. All the help you could possibly want in a few minutes.

No way I'd take a known floating boat and put it at risk of sinking by deliberately taking on water. That'd just risk multiplying one problem into many more. Loss of the boat, polluting the water, risks to anyone in the boat... your wallet, etc.

The challenge of getting them to the ladder involves risk of injury from the prop. Better to toss them a lifejacket or throwable and a line, tow them from a distance behind the boat, instead of risking them losing grip and sliding back into the prop.

Wow! That video!

Brings to mind WWII B-17 pilots getting into their planes.

At our marina (Vallejo Municipal), life rings on the docks are available, but no ladders, unfortunately. :banghead:

One of our 13' Whalers has a 2-step folding ladder at the transom. Even with that it's difficult because (a) the ladder doesn't go far down into the water and (b) there isn't a handhold close by to pull yourself in.

I've found a line tied around one of the seats helps for the handhold, but that just makes it a bit easier.

Never tried this technique but it was recommended to me by a SAR expert
Many RIBs have oneway valves separating the air supply to the two sides. This allows you to partially deflate one side lowering it in the water thus making it easier to pull someone aboard.

We've been over this a few times here but EVERY boat should have a way to get back in it from in the water, that can be deployed when you are in the water. And you need to practice using it!

GFC: perhaps the ladder on our Whaler goes deeper than yours, but we have no issue using it, which we do frequently, and using the engine as a handhold. Mount a handle if that doesn't work for you.

.... the ladder doesn't go far down into the water and (b) there isn't a handhold close by to pull yourself in.......

Can you put one foot on the "wing" of the outboard skeg ??

If not, you could take a 3 foot length or rope, thread it through a 1 foot piece of pvc pipe and put a carabiner on each end. Just clip that on the bottom rung before you dive in, and remove it after your re-board.

This is timely.
Yesterday afternoon and elderly man fell into the water across the dock from me. He jumped from the 22 ft boat to the dock as the owner was just backing into the slip.
Luckily he fell into an empty slip and more luckily we had company on the boat. So between the 2 of us we pulled the swimmer back onto the dock.
If I were alone I don't think I could have gotten him up.
This morning I am going to the marina office and ask for ladders of some sort.

I too had to save a large elderly man that fell in the water. It was a few months ago when I went to the boat on a weekday in the middle of the day when I heard someone yelling for help. I tried to pull him up and realized that wasn't working since he was too heavy. He suggested that I help him to his swim step that has a swim ladder so that's what we did. As I was helping him towards it, I never let go of his wrist. I felt that if I did and he lost his grip on the dock, he would sink since he was very tired and weak. While doing this, I was yelling for help. Another person came and I asked her to lower the swim ladder. We both helped him up the ladder and all was good.

If I were to do it again, I would grab the closest dock line, tie it to his body then to a cleat and call 911. I think that I took a chance moving him some 30 feet. I could've lost him.

He sold his boat after the incident. Sad.

I'd say first step to stabilize the situation, then get assistance. Often you have someone in the water and unable to help in their own recovery in any way. In a marina, many swim platforms have much better means of getting on them than do dinghies. Some even are hydraulic. Then there's always a boat davit or crane. I'm assuming you had warm water and that provides time. In cold water rescue, obviously much more time sensitive.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Even though it turned out OK, we should have put a rope around him. I think the trick is early response with whatever is at hand. Intend to discuss the incident with the marina management. (and maybe take some gymnastics classes!!) Cheers, Richard

Last edited:
This is timely.

Yesterday afternoon and elderly man fell into the water across the dock from me. He jumped from the 22 ft boat to the dock as the owner was just backing into the slip.

Luckily he fell into an empty slip and more luckily we had company on the boat. So between the 2 of us we pulled the swimmer back onto the dock.

If I were alone I don't think I could have gotten him up.

This morning I am going to the marina office and ask for ladders of some sort.

I asked our manager about safety ladders on the dock (or why we didn’t have any) and asked if the condo HOA board had considered it. I was prompted to ask after the pushing incident a few weeks ago.

He said that the board discussed it, but eventually decided that they’re didn’t want to. The reasons, as he recalls them were;

1. There is one ladder in the center of the marina on the main dock.

2. They were afraid of complaints from slip owners regarding their placement, ie “If Fred has a ladder at the end of his finger I should have a ladder at the end of mine, even though they are right next to each other.”

3. The argument was made that a “responsible boat owner” would make provisions for falling in before doing any work around the boat, such as rig a ladder, put down their swim ladder etc...

He did say that I could install one at the end of my slip if I chose. I think I may end up doing that.

You should check out this book, "Suddenly Overboard: True Stories of Sailors in Fatal Trouble" by Tom Lochhaas.

A really sobering chronicle of tragic stories. The water is NOT our domain, but we easily get complacent.

I recommend this to anyone who ventures out.

I asked our manager about safety ladders on the dock (or why we didn’t have any) and asked if the condo HOA board had considered it. I was prompted to ask after the pushing incident a few weeks ago.

He said that the board discussed it, but eventually decided that they’re didn’t want to. The reasons, as he recalls them were;

1. There is one ladder in the center of the marina on the main dock.

2. They were afraid of complaints from slip owners regarding their placement, ie “If Fred has a ladder at the end of his finger I should have a ladder at the end of mine, even though they are right next to each other.”

3. The argument was made that a “responsible boat owner” would make provisions for falling in before doing any work around the boat, such as rig a ladder, put down their swim ladder etc...

He did say that I could install one at the end of my slip if I chose. I think I may end up doing that.

Ask them if you have really good liability insurance if someone drowns because they could not get to the one central ladder. I think that is a really bad answer. What about a non swimmer that falls in and can’t make it to the one ladder. They are trying to put the onus on a really responsible boat owner who should rig a ladder before anyone falls in, if you knew when you or a guest that isn’t knowledgeable about boats were going to fall in, don’t you think that nobody would ever fall in. Since you know you are about to fall in, just don’t do it... I would not want to be a part of a condo association that takes this point of view. Especially after they were asked about having ladders and they don’t do it, it makes it hard after the fact to say they were responsible.

Ask them if you have really good liability insurance if someone drowns because they could not get to the one central ladder. I think that is a really bad answer. What about a non swimmer that falls in and can’t make it to the one ladder. They are trying to put the onus on a really responsible boat owner who should rig a ladder before anyone falls in, if you knew when you or a guest that isn’t knowledgeable about boats were going to fall in, don’t you think that nobody would ever fall in. Since you know you are about to fall in, just don’t do it... I would not want to be a part of a condo association that takes this point of view. Especially after they were asked about having ladders and they don’t do it, it makes it hard after the fact to say they were responsible.

I didn't mean to imply that I endorsed their rational. The Manager was also quick to point out that he didn't share the viewpoint but was just recounting what he recalled when it was discussed a number of years ago.

I intend to ask the board to consider the idea again. Most of the board are new since the last time it was discussed and the HOA had other very pressing issues to contend with at the time.

I didn't mention but there also is an emergency ladder that is designed to go over a cleat on the dock. Great solution if you happen to fall in with someone there who can get the ladder out of the emergency box, return to where you are clinging onto the dock, set the emergency ladder in place, and then be strong enough to help you get out of the water with the ladder. Assuming of course that you haven't drifted away or drowned in the meantime. :banghead:

No, I was not thinking that you were happy about the reply they gave you, but you are a part of the association so you do have part of the responsibility. I agree that you should give it another try.

Hmmmm making me ponder as I think of this every time I step on the swimstep as to what I would do

SOT Kayak Self Rescue Ladder - Hi Viz Yellow/Orange

And found this one

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pr...dJW3iGapMVo1OsEQ-xAq6nNEdeqNyq9BoCtOgQAvD_BwE

Any experience with either? I think I will buy a couple to hang off of cleats permanently!!!!

Get a real ladder mounted under the swim platform. A problem with those rope solutions is keeping your self upright rather than going horizontal. Better than nothing? Absolutely. But not by much.

Get a real ladder mounted under the swim platform. A problem with those rope solutions is keeping your self upright rather than going horizontal. Better than nothing? Absolutely. But not by much.

Keep in mind that the person you're trying to help is exhausted, overweight, can't swim, and isn't coordinated. All those things may not apply but the athletic, alert, swimmer is going to be able to get out, that's just not who we're normally dealing with.

You read stories of strange drownings daily, that seem like they should have been so easily avoided but they happened. There was a drunk guy on our lake who almost drowned in 6" of water, but the wildlife officer saved him. I've seen a dock that had a turn in it and a guy under the influence didn't turn, just walked straight into the water in cold weather. Had we not been there, I don't know if he could have made it out. While I'm not very tolerant of the excessive drinking, I do keep in mind that the drunk who falls in is someone's father and son or mother and daughter and husband or wife. They are important to family and friends.

I've got a rear ladder that when deployed has rungs below the waterline, but someone would need to be there to deploy.

Attachments

• coot at mildred.jpg
    coot at mildred.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 119

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom