Water distiller? / Free RO system!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I have a non-functioning water desalinator system (RO). I had a tech looked it and told me it could cost around 1K to bring it back to life. Later, the maintenance will also cost me dearly. So, I would not mind to get rid of it and put in something new. At home, I use water distiller (countertop) to make drinking water for myself. After searching the web, I found small enough commercial units, which could be installed in my ER (standup and spacious).
( Durastill Automatic Water Distillers - H2oLabs.com )
I looked at the measurements and it could fit in fine. This can be connected to its own thank or without, but I have a 275 gallon water tank inside, so an auto pump could take the water to my tank. This is the idea.
Has anyone considered distilling sea water for daily use?

PS: Anybody wants my old RO system, it is free. You just need to remove all of it yourself.

Read the bypass ratio on the house unit, many require 13-18 gal of fresh water to make a gal of filtered water.

FF
Are you talking about the existing RO system or the distiller unit I have quoted?

Surely the cost of the distillation unit plus the requirement for 120V power outweighs the cost of the RO. The amount of water from the distiller would just about make ice cubes for your cocktails, vs water for general use from even a small RO running for just a few hours.

I tried a home distiller many years ago. In salt water you get a rapid buildup on the tank insides and heating element. As buildups increase on the heating element it acts as insulation, so the unit has to run longer. To remove the build up, you use the same chemicals used to clean the salt water side of your heat exchanger. Getting the tank clean enough to use for drinking water requires a lot of flushing. More work than I have maintaining a 50 gl/hr RO system. Membranes last years. I make 100% of my water. I don't use marina water and often transfer water to others.

If you have a non proprietary RO system like Cruise RO sells, with standard filters, membranes and pumps, you have a much cheaper system that doesn't require an outside technician to maintain or repair.

I see many problems with using a distiller like that. One thing it has a float switch. Not sure how that will work out if you encounter any seas. Secondly it appears to be just a fresh water distiller and I am not sure it is made to handle the amount of minerals (salt) that you will be extracting. Third , the manual states that it will produce 5120 BTUs of heat. This may not be acceptable. Also it will require the equivalent of 5120 BTUs of electricity to operate (think of a 5000 BTU air conditioner).

Does not seem like a good fit to me even if you are in fresh water.

Surely the cost of the distillation unit plus the requirement for 120V power outweighs the cost of the RO. The amount of water from the distiller would just about make ice cubes for your cocktails, vs water for general use from even a small RO running for just a few hours.

My RO system does require 250V, so the generator has to run, when it is turned on. Well, when it is working again. So, the distiller 120v requirement is solved already. The distiller units I looked at can make minimum 4 gallons/day, but there are larger ones, which can produce much more. I am not sure, if I agree with your statement on the production. My 1 gallon distiller creates 1 gallon distilled water. There is no loss there. The residue at the bottom is very little and easy to clean. Of course, that is tap water, so salt water will be different. However, the volume should not be less. I think.

I tried a home distiller many years ago. In salt water you get a rapid buildup on the tank insides and heating element. As buildups increase on the heating element it acts as insulation, so the unit has to run longer. To remove the build up, you use the same chemicals used to clean the salt water side of your heat exchanger. Getting the tank clean enough to use for drinking water requires a lot of flushing.

You make a very good point. I did not think of that. Cleaning could be a hassle. Maybe I should abandon this idea, unless there is a specifically designed salt water distiller unit for pleasure boats. They exist for commercial vessels, but the cleaning there is automatic. Of course, those are huge and very expensive.
It seems, I have to reconsider to bring my RO unit back to life.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom