Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
RE: Battery replacement

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
I guess my configuration would sort out to two start batteries and two 6v for house--recognizing that if one house battery fails I am now at 6 volts. But since I am not living in it or spending more than a weekend at a time in it I guess I could jumper cable from a start battery if I needed to.
Yikes,*Oh no!!* Good catch Rick,

You can not jumper your 12 volt batteries to the 6 volt battery.* Unless you want to have 4th of July early??* You could disconnect both 6 volt batteries and connect the system to your 12 volt set.* But that may not be the best solution for you.* I don't know if having mixed voltage*systems is a good idea if you are not totally comfortable with it.* Simple may better for you in this case?*

(Just to clarify, I was talking about 30 ft gillnetters and our boats were outfitted with just the*two six volt batteries total.* You lose one and you can't start the engine.* So we replaced them with two 12 volt batteries and either one would start the engine.* Other than radio, lights and radar, all*other systems were either diesel or Hydraulic.)

Larry B*
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote