Thailand Underwater Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
I know there are divers among the TF community. Many TFers, divers or not, may be following the continuing rescue of 12 boys aged 11-16 and their 25yo basketball coach, who were trapped 4km into a Chiang Rai cave complex when heavy rain raised the water levels, cutting off their return.

A large international contingent of rescuers is on the scene, in the last 2 days 2 groups of 4 boys have been brought out by rescuers, 2 assisting each boy to swim up to 40m underwater,and to pass through narrow underwater passages so tight they cannot be passed with air bottle attached. Underwater visibility is practically nil. Bear in mind these boys did not know how to swim,let alone scuba dive,and spent 10 days in the refuge chamber without food before British divers reached them finding all 13 together, and relatively well.

The rescue is urgent,monsoonal rains are expected,and the chamber in which the group took refuge could flood and the group drown.

The strongest have been brought out first, the last 5 may be more of a challenge. But the rescuers, who must rest for some 20 hours between each rescue event, are now more practised and faster with experience.

Spare a thought for the boys and their rescuers today in what should be the final extraction. Those TF members who dive, especially in tight hazardous conditions, will know better than most how difficult the operation must be, and how skilled and brave are their rescuers, and indeed, all those associated with the operation.

Last edited:
Agreed, and one diver died helping them.

There is even one stretch where they require climbing gear (which I don't quite understand as they didn't need it to get in there in the first place).

Saman Gunan

36823971_10155543745901179_2112139962689257472_n.jpg

Rest well, young man...

Agreed, and one diver died helping them.

There is even one stretch where they require climbing gear (which I don't quite understand as they didn't need it to get in there in the first place).
It`s possible some of the route used going in is now submerged.
One of 13 Australians there is an anesthetist/anesthesiologist with 30 years experience in caving and diving and associated medicine. He attended the refuge cave to check the boys.
Reports of heavy constant rain make getting them out asap even more important. Seems the multitude of pumps is helping.

Wonderful how the world rallies around when something like this happens. Almost restores faith in human nature.

What’s happening here is much more than most can comprehend.

God speed.

Last edited:
Its an mazing recovery effort as they were a very long way in, and deep below the land surface. I hope they all make it out ok, and that they haven't picked up any of the potential health issues that have been described recently.

All the boys and coaches are out. Some divers and a doctor yet to come.

The brits have an exceptional team of sump rescue divers.
The US has really no equivalent, since sumps are not so extensive in the US. I've got the "cave recovery" certification, but those words, and that training had to do with body recovery. Cave rescue has happened in the US, but likely less than the fingers on one hand have been successful. I've done on the order of 400 cave dives in several countries, and not one a sump.

British Cave Rescue Council

The brits have an exceptional team of sump rescue divers.

The US has really no equivalent, since sumps are not so extensive in the US. I've got the "cave recovery" certification, but those words, and that training had to do with body recovery. Cave rescue has happened in the US, but likely less than the fingers on one hand have been successful. I've done on the order of 400 cave dives in several countries, and not one a sump.

British Cave Rescue Council

Dave, can you describe what a “sump” is in this context? I don’t know.

Sump =. Wet section of an otherwise dry cave

ps; sump is usually poor visibility, shallow, cold, and there is a lot of carrying gear thru passageways for access.

Wookie Hole in England is the most famous, early sump. Google Martin Farr and his team. I believe the story is some 12 or 14? sumps in one passage have been cleared. That is, 14 dives in series, carrying the gear all the way. Several underground nights to pull this together.
Rescues are more common in UK/sumps, due to water inundation on dry cavers.

Last edited:
Every day something bad happens in the world, and gets worse. Here something wonderful happened, and got better. Imagine the joy of the 13 young Thais when divers`headlights popped out of the water after 8 days in the cave. Now all are out,in what must have been a near perfect rescue executed with urgency in extraordinary conditions.

Saman Gunan will be revered in Thailand for his sacrifice.

In Australia there are suggestions of Dr. Richard Harris for Australian of the Year. Called in by the British civilian team spearheading the extractions, he was with the boys each day before the extraction commenced, and the last person out of the cave.
May those rescued enjoy as speedy and full a recovery as possible, and the many who contributed to the rescue in so many ways a well earned rest.

BruceK; Saman Gunan will be revered in Thailand for his sacrifice. [/QUOTE said:
And he should be revered, Bruce. But for the tragic loss of one young man, it was a magnificent effort. So well coordinated, too. Kudos to all who participated.

I hear the Thai Government is offering all involved in the rescue a week at a resort and Business class airfares to/from,as a reward to enjoy Thailand as it should be.
The Cave normally closes from 1 July due to the risk of sudden flooding, so at the time of the boys entry, it was open to the public. I`m guessing that will change. Meanwhile the coach of the basketball team is credited with keeping the boys alive in the cave pending their discovery, by using and teaching the meditation and relaxation techniques he acquired as a novice Buddhist monk. It is common for Thais to enter a monastery as a novice monk for a period during teenage years.

I hear the Thai Government is offering all involved in the rescue a week at a resort and Business class airfares to/from,as a reward to enjoy Thailand as it should be.
The Cave normally closes from 1 July due to the risk of sudden flooding, so at the time of the boys entry, it was open to the public. I`m guessing that will change. Meanwhile the coach of the basketball team is credited with keeping the boys alive in the cave pending their discovery, by using and teaching the meditation and relaxation techniques he acquired as a novice Buddhist monk. It is common for Thais to enter a monastery as a novice monk for a period during teenage years.
Does watching and encouraging the on TV count as being involved? :)

L

That`s very interesting RTF, I had heard that version of the coach`s involvement,but other immediate news became more prominent. He may very well be another hero of the event.

Sorry Lou,no free trip to Thailand for you.
I read today the boys were sedated for the extraction, the attending Dr Harris being an anesthetist, he`d be good at that. His Aussie dive partner for the rescue is a veterinarian. Fortunately his medical skills were not needed.
(Reminds me of the story of the horse and rider struck by a car, both down and injured. A police officer approaches, looks at the horse,pulls his gun and puts it out of its misery. Then turns to the rider"And how are you feeling?". Rider leaps to his feet" I`m fine,absolutely fine".)

Last edited:
Last night the national broadcaster ABC took a break from criticizing the Government and excelled itself with this report of the rescue. Close to an hour, no commercials,may even bring a tear to the eye. It deserves to be watched on a larger screen.If you search ABC i view as I did, you should find it.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-corners/series/2018/video/NC1803H023S00

Edit: the link above will find it.

Last edited:
sbu22, those diagrams,especially the pinch points,really show the difficulties.
In the ABC report one of the divers, Dr Harris`s veterinarian dive partner, says the boys were sedated and effectively unconscious for the extraction,for fear one might panic and pull off the breathing apparatus. That required they be stretchered or moved via zip line when above water. Dr Harris declined interview, both required legal immunity before getting involved.

Two of the divers interviewed said, while they knew they could get the boys out they believed not all would come our alive,and admit to becoming "emotional" as the rescue concluded,100% successful. Save of course for the loss of Saman Gunan.

The rescuers clank when they walk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom