Thrusters Not Working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
We have a new to us 2001 Maxum 3500 SCR with external bow and stern thrusters commonly called “weed catchers.” They worked fine but have stopped working. I have found breakers on the control box but they are reset and look fine. Since it is both bow and stern it implies to me a breaker but have been unable to find. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The “blue” lights on the thruster switches are lit implying they have power. All other DC accessories including our dinghy lift are working so must be unit specific.

Thanks

Presumably these are DC thrusters (not hydraulic). If so, check for the batteries that power the thrusters. They are most likely dedicated batteries set up as 12V or 24V power. Check the batteries for charging source and check the voltage at the batteries. It takes significant current to drive thrusters and batteries can get depleted quickly, especially if the charger is not operating correctly. Would likely still be enough battery left to power the blue LEDs. You might even get a click when you try to activate the thrusters, but that is all!!

If you have dedicated thruster batteries then follow Chrisjs' advice above. If the thrusters are powered from the house or engine batteries, there may be a single fuse that protects both thruster circuits in addition to the breakers. So check for a blown fuse. It will be a big one, 300 amps at least.

I realize the blue light is lit, but the controls may be powered from a different circuit. When you trip the breaker, does the blue light go off?

David

That and ask on a Maxum forum? Might be something common in their setup that fellow owners might know about.

We have a new to us 2001 Maxum 3500 SCR with external bow and stern thrusters commonly called “weed catchers.” They worked fine but have stopped working. I have found breakers on the control box but they are reset and look fine. Since it is both bow and stern it implies to me a breaker but have been unable to find. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The “blue” lights on the thruster switches are lit implying they have power. All other DC accessories including our dinghy lift are working so must be unit specific.

Thanks

I missed what type of thruster. On my boat, the Vetus thrusters have had problems with the control switches. Each toggle has two switches, one for each direction. These switches can fail from age.

So, if you might just make sure that the switches are actually working.

A misfortune if both switches died at the same time. But, they are likely the same age, it`s possible.
You might check the current "Mahalo" thread. Their thrusters required the stabilizer breaker to be operated, before the thrusters would operate(see post 33). Maybe turn everything else on, one by one, in case the same applies.

Thanks all. Will be on the boat Saturday and will give your suggestions a try. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom