oil in propane regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
During our last trip we tried using the propane stove top but the flow of gas to the burners was too low to keep them, even just one, at flame high enough to cook on. The safety gear seems to be working, the valve clicks on and off when tested. Today I removed the regulator and was surprised to find quite a bit, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of clear oil dripping out when I removed the fitting.
Searched online and found sometimes oil added to keep tanks from rusting inside may find it's way to the regulators and cause problems.Has anyone found that?
This tank was rarely used and has been in place for 8-10 years

The regulator, Pecimex mod 3001, seems to be a common one and I will replace it next week to see if that solves the problem.
Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Thanks!

I don't know what they do in the states but I used to service a lot of LPG vehicles and regularly had to clean a lot of paraffin residue out of the gas converters and mixers that would block everything up.

During our last trip we tried using the propane stove top but the flow of gas to the burners was too low to keep them, even just one, at flame high enough to cook on. The safety gear seems to be working, the valve clicks on and off when tested. Today I removed the regulator and was surprised to find quite a bit, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of clear oil dripping out when I removed the fitting.
Searched online and found sometimes oil added to keep tanks from rusting inside may find it's way to the regulators and cause problems.Has anyone found that?
This tank was rarely used and has been in place for 8-10 years

The regulator, Pecimex mod 3001, seems to be a common one and I will replace it next week to see if that solves the problem.
Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Thanks!

I would also replace the tank. That oil should not be in there and can definitely be the cause of your problem.

Yes, that tank has been replaced. Too late as the oil had already gotten to the regulator.
I have brought the hoses from tank to regulator home and will blow out with compressed air. I checked the gas jets on the stove they are clean.
I'll post results once new regulator is in place and tried.

I think there is oil in the propane and it collects in valves and converters. Smells really bad. I mentioned it re a propane OB thread a week or so ago. Usually it accumulates over quite a period of time. Once and awhile I’d need to clean out the converter on my old propane Buick.

While its std on homes and RV not many boats use an oil or particle trap.

On vapor using systems his is a simple T after the regulator with the T facing down with a 6 inch pipe nipple and cap.

Propane is seldom clean , and may contain antifreez to keep it vaporizing at low temps.

While its std on homes and RV not many boats use an oil or particle trap.

On vapor using systems his is a simple T after the regulator with the T facing down with a 6 inch pipe nipple and cap.

Propane is seldom clean , and may contain antifreez to keep it vaporizing at low temps.

yes, the propane like that is dirty and also wet with water.

For clean dry propane, dry and clean enough for even refrigeration useage, use propane bottled for torches. just an FYI...

I installed a new regulator all is working fine now, I think the oil that got into it damaged the rubber diaphragm
Steve W

Back
Top Bottom