View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #964
N4061
Guru

Low Center of Gravity

While the following shouldn't be of a surprise to anyone but today was another one of those cruises where I was reminded the importance of having a boat with a low CG. We were fortunate this past week to enjoy what I call Miami weather on the water. Temperatures in the upper 80's with a little humidity and minimal breeze. While this weather can quickly make us wish for San Diego normal it is fun a short while. Today we took the boat out for a bay cruise and found ourselves up top for the ride ride home. Being able to feel the boats movement (both forward and to beam / starboard) was interesting. When in the PH I feel basically no forward movement and some roll depending on sea state. Up top it was amazing how the feeling was emphasized and we are only talk about 8'. This reminds me of the difference between our Nordhavn and this boat. Not sure the what the exact difference in height above waterline but I know there is a difference in feel. Again this is nothing new and not rocket science but something I enjoy evaluating.

Finding the right balance between being high enough above the waterline for safe ocean coastal cruising yet low enough for best stability will always be quest but something I feel we have met with the H38E.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote