Lehman 165 Coolant Reservoir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Coolant Reservoir

Hopped onboard a sundeck trawler today in our search for the next boat. When inspecting the engines, I took off the coolant cap to check level. I could not feel or see any coolant in the tank. Is this normal? I also didn't notice an overflow reservoir. Do you not keep the tank full in order to make room for the expansion of coolant?

Clarification: The title states Lehman 165, actually it's a 135. Can't find a way to edit the title or delete the post and start over....

Last edited:
It's not normal, but if it's just below where you can see it could be totally fine. Without an expansion bottle setup you need to keep the level about an inch or so below the cap for expansion space.

Those tanks are convoluted inside so there could still possibly be a fair bit of anti freeze in the tank and you couldn't see it. The only way to know for sure would be to add anti freeze and see how much was required to bring it up to the proper level.

Ken

Last edited:
There is a petcock at the front on top of the engine,on 120s and perhaps 135s. To ensure the system is full, with the engine NOT running, (and I assume cold) open the petcock to allow any air to bleed out and top up at the filler. When coolant appears at the petcock the system is full, the petcock should then be closed.

The petcock must not be opened with the engine running or it will suck in air.
If a coolant recovery bottle is not fitted the engine will lose coolant via expansion and overflow and need topping up. Instead of a recovery system, the efficiency of which I doubt, you could run the overflow via a tube to a bottle and use the contents to refill the system.

On older engines, the header tank, radiator tank of whatever you care to call it was large enough to contain enough fluid to ensure a continuous flow of coolant throughout the engine with an air space to allow for the fluid to expand when it got hotter. Overflow systems came into use esp in automobiles when manufacturers started to lower bonnets (aka hoods) and they didn`t have the room to locate a large enough tank on top of the radiator - a BMW we had located it on the side of the radiator, a Merc we currently own has no tank on the radiator, with the header tank located on the firewall.
So, if you fill your header tank to the brim, it will be a waste of fluid as it will end up in the catch pan under your engine. Most times if you take the cap off (cold engine!) and dip your finger in and the tip at least gets wet - you are good to go.

There is a petcock at the front on top of the engine,on 120s and perhaps 135s. To ensure the system is full, with the engine NOT running, (and I assume cold) open the petcock to allow any air to bleed out and top up at the filler. When coolant appears at the petcock the system is full, the petcock should then be closed.

The petcock must not be opened with the engine running or it will suck in air.
If a coolant recovery bottle is not fitted the engine will lose coolant via expansion and overflow and need topping up. Instead of a recovery system, the efficiency of which I doubt, you could run the overflow via a tube to a bottle and use the contents to refill the system.

Yeah 135s don't have that petcock they have a line to the overflow tank so the bleeding from the exhaust manifold is automatic.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 57
So, if I understand, then there's no need for a recovery tank on the 135's.

That's correct there is no need. If no recovery tank the level needs to be visually verified inside the expansion tank and kept about an inch below the bottom of the fill neck.

Ken

Well, the offer is in. Thanks for the quick replies and I'm sure more questions will follow...

Sidclark, we both learned something, 135s don`t have the petcock. I do know from other threads you also won`t have the task of frequently changing the injector pump oil either.
A boat with Lehmans is a blessing. No turbos, long lived, reliable, and parts available from American Diesel Corp. Good luck with your purchase.

Jgood luck with your offer.

Sidclark, we both learned something, 135s don`t have the petcock. I do know from other threads you also won`t have the task of frequently changing the injector pump oil either.
A boat with Lehmans is a blessing. No turbos, long lived, reliable, and parts available from American Diesel Corp. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks! I'm glad this one had the Lehman's. If the offer is excepted I'll fill in the boat details.

Back
Top Bottom