Outboard Aux Engine for Marine Trader 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The secondary backup plan would be to rig the dink with my 15 hp outboard and try to move the boat if I had to(but that would have to be in calm conditions only)."

Outboards come with different specifications.

If I were contemplating using the dink as an emergency engine ,

I would purchase the "Hi Thrust" variant that is sold to move sailboats , not a small prop dink motor.

Many mfg. sell these with gear deeper reduction and larger diameter props.

Anybody who wants to tow their trawler with a dinghy should get out and try it some time in nice weather. Have fun.
wink.gif

Keith wrote:
Anybody who wants to tow their trawler with a dinghy should get out and try it some time in nice weather. Have fun.
wink.gif
*I guess my point was missed. Not that I would want to, however I have in the past moved the boat in CALM weather in an anchorage, and would only attempt in an emergency in calm conditions.

I was serious... you have to try it to see how everything will react. Don't try it for the first time in an emergency in bad weather.

Kieth, Good advice. You never know.

SD

Keith wrote:
I was serious... you have to try it to see how everything will react. Don't try it for the first time in an emergency in bad weather.
*Actually that would be a good warm summer day project. Better than cleaning the teak if the admiral grants permission.

At Herrington Harbor North (Deale, MD) the launch drill is for*the yard to put*your boat in with the travel lift then they*tie their outboard powered work*boat snug*to your aft quarter.* The two person yard crew then delivers your boat to the appropriate slip and ties it up.**With experienced hands, this is done very quickly and with great control as they are*maneuvering vessels though fairly crowded fairways and into docks with not much clearance.* Our Pilgrim is 40' and about 26,000 lbs displacement.

A few years ago we had to remove the engine from our previous 30', 12,000 lb displacement trawler.* To get the boat from the shore crane back to our slip (sans engine), we rowed it using a singular 15' sweep (long oar).* The distance was about 800 feet and fortunately there was room on deck to swing the sweep.* Slow but sure assuming you have the patience.

Attachments

• hhn1.jpg
    hhn1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 104
  • hhn2.jpg
    hhn2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 101
We had the tranny in our 18,000 lb GB 32 quit just after passing thru Hell Gate right in front of the Riker Island floating prison and quickly put the 10ft dinghy with 9.9hp 2 stroke on the hip - worked fine, but no waves, just a breeze and a knot or so of head current. We could have gone all the way to City Island if we'd had enough gas...

Yeah, it could have been really dicey, but even with a knot or so of foul current we made headway. The bigger issue was that Boat US tow wanted us to anchor before they would come out (probably that 'rescue vs tow' definition), and the Riker's Police boat wouldn't let us go into the cove on the N side, so we ended up anchoring out of the channel but still in the current. Interesting that once the tow boat had us in sight he asked us to weigh anchor and meet him in the channel, where he picked us up... probably just convenience for him ;) All ended well.

- Roland

I have tried to move the Rose with my 28' center console with two 250's on it, that 500 hp. The most I could do is have a passing conversation with the stern to please go a little port or a little starboard. As some have said this is probably a bad idea. I am a firm believer of not creating a crutch. I go offshore all the time and see people all broke down, stuck and hungary because they thought their cell phone would work instead of having a proper vhf. It seams you are going the route of the dingy with outboard, that is a good plan but I would also make sure your ground tackle is sufficient for your area (mud/rock anchor) Back up plans are good to have but are no replacement for properly maintained and operating equipment. I think old stone sums it up talking about stainin' your undies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom