Channel etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Anyone familiar with with the channel into Ilwaco (PNW) knows it is long, narrow, and unforgiving. Entering the other day, I was doing about 6kts (my cruise speed) and staying to the right side of the channel as best I could. A larger fishing charter came up behind me at least double my speed and passed me with no more than a boat length between us. That was too close and the channel is too narrow to turn for a better angle, and my boat slide sideways right into his wake, rolling significantly, dropping my rail into the water and shearing off a fender.

To top matters off, he then got on VHF 16 and said simply and cryptically, “Learning experience“. Short of just chalking the other guy off as a jerk, wondering what else can be done to mitigate these types of situations when I’m the overtaken vessel?

When/if you see him coming get on the radio and ask for a slow pass. Barring that at least try to take the wake as much on your forward quarter as you can.

Move into the middle of the channel...

This was critically discussed previously on the thread “Wakemakers”. We slow movers learn to dread the approach of the mega-wakers, but at least for the most part, we’d end up aground on sand. Out there in the PNW, a lot more rock makes for an even more critical situation.

What does this have to do with Taiwanese trawlers? ��

Ok what is the best practice for calling an unknown boat behind you?

Last edited:
Sorry, posted in Taiwanese Trawlers by mistake. Can’t figure out how to move to General.

Schrater, anticipate and video his pass, report the endangerment and damage to the authorities. Commerical captain’s have licencing for having passengers aboard that can be in jeopardy if you video the incident as evidence.
If you have a mate give the standard multiple blast on your horn denoting danger, during the pass, the passengers will be made aware of the danger, a camera aimed at the vessel may also get the operator’s attention. Note I didn’t referr to who ever is operating the passing vessel as a captain.
Dial 411 for the nearest USCG office, report the offense to the Officer-of the Day. If there is damage or injuries the USCG will investigate the incident.

Last edited:
How did a wake rip off a fender?

Wakes are rude, no doubt. But sort of a fact of life especially around commercial traffic.

Having been through that channel many times, I know that there are some very polite charter skippers, and some very very rude ones. The channel is very narrow, with the Coast Guard station on one side and the huge sand bar on the other. The channel is a 5kn no wake zone, I would just put the word out on 16 with the name of the vessel, I'll bet he has a greeting party when he ties up.

The problem is that the LE officer has to observe the incident. If the wake does cause damage then you can file a civil claim and the insurance will pay for the damages if you have witnesses or better yet a video.

The problem is that the LE officer has to observe the incident.....
Why? Surely the evidence can come from anyone. The LE just has to take on the prosecution.

Ilwaco is a very small part. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the boat. just go over and have a word with him and tell him how unsafe his Cowboy Antics were on your boat. I also agree that calling him out on channel 16 with his boat name Would also be effective in that the Coast Guard is already listening and they will take note of his actions. I would especially be proactive if Allahu is your home pork and you have to deal with this jerk regularly better to nip it in the bud now.

"Securite, securite, securite, this is the Ponderosa advising mariners in the Ilwaco channel of a hazard to navigation. The vessel Billy Bob is operating in a hazardous manner with excessive speed, passing unsafely with resulting damage to other vessel. All mariners are urged to exercise extreme caution if operating in the vicinity of the vessel Billy Bob. Billy Bob is a 45-foot blue-over-white fishing vessel. Ponderosa clear."

Is there no offense of dangerous negligent navigation?

He said she said? Do you really think this incident is going to get any serious consideration from CG? No injuries (except to OP feelings), no damage.....I assure you, the CG has more pressing issues to deal with than a boat getting waked.. Thats the reality of it.

You are not an unbiased party. I really don’t think we want the cg taking the average fellows word for anything and undertaking prosecution. A video might have some potential, such as the one that fully caught the distracted guy running right over a small fishing boat full of people.

Small town, find the guy and talk to him. Good chance you get something of an apology. Maybe.

If he really was a charter, a yelp review might go a long way to denting his business, or getting a more cordial response. If you do, the onus is on you to be able to back up your words when he comes a suing. Imagine what a video could do to a commercial operation, to its customers, or to its insurance.

Now, before you get to this kind of level, isn’t it really a better idea to just talk to the guy and leave it at that. Nobody was injured. No real damage was dealt. I would not have enjoyed it either, but let’s get real as to further consequences.

It is obvious from the vhf call that the offending boater made "Learning experience“ that there would be no need to try to talk to him.

I’m with the op. Did that mean, “hey I made a mistake, sorry bout that”, or “I’m from Illwaco, a very serious seaport one one of the most notorious bars out there. If you can’t take a wake here, how are you going to handle the bar?”

See numerous threads regarding carrying firearms onboard. :hide:

I don’t really understand how in 2018 one can make jokes where the punchline is someone getting shot? What’s so funny about using firearms onboard to settle disputes?

My wife hates that kind of situation and now keeps a camera on the bridge. When she sees a big wavemaker coming our way, she grabs the camera and points it at the boat. It works, most of them slow down.

My wife hates that kind of situation and now keeps a camera on the bridge. When she sees a big wavemaker coming our way, she grabs the camera and points it at the boat. It works, most of them slow down.

That may be the best defense. Also in a really narrow channel I would get in the middle of the channel and make them requset for me to move over. I then tell them I will move over if they will slow down. Maybe even tell them we are recording the event.

"Securite, securite, securite, this is the Ponderosa advising mariners in the Ilwaco channel of a hazard to navigation. The vessel Billy Bob is operating in a hazardous manner with excessive speed, passing unsafely with resulting damage to other vessel. All mariners are urged to exercise extreme caution if operating in the vicinity of the vessel Billy Bob. Billy Bob is a 45-foot blue-over-white fishing vessel. Ponderosa clear."

Agree!!! Then find the boat in the marina and take pictures to include the operator. He will ask what you are doing and you say, I am reporting you to the Coast Guard and see if you keep your license. :socool:

The worse waking I received was by a USCG 47-foot motor lifeboat moving at high speed. It passed by from behind about 50 yards away. My boat rolled severely with water coming over the deck. It would have been OK if paying closer attention and turning into the wake. When the USCG boat returned from the opposite direction, I was better prepared.

https://www.military.com/equipment/47-foot-motor-lifeboat-mlb

He said she said? Do you really think this incident is going to get any serious consideration from CG? No injuries (except to OP feelings), no damage.....I assure you, the CG has more pressing issues to deal with than a boat getting waked.. That`s the reality of it.
I`m sure CG are busy. But repetition, by an operator emboldened by suffering no consequences,who deliberately sets out to teach someone a lesson( not sure what the lesson was except to avoid thugs operating boats) could have different serious consequences for another boat and its crew. Misconduct like that can`t be left to fester,it needs attention before someone less lucky or less able to deal with the danger the operator intentionally created suffers real damage or injury.

I believe an LEO has to witness the infraction to prevent using the police to settle grudges. Your boyfriend cheats on you, so you report him for speeding...that kind of thing.

I believe an LEO has to witness the infraction to prevent using the police to settle grudges. Your boyfriend cheats on you, so you report him for speeding...that kind of thing.
I understand, an odd and to me surprising rule, but there it is. The OP and other boat operators using the channel will have to accept being "taught a lesson" when they encounter this operator.Let`s hope they and their boat come through it unscathed.

Back
Top Bottom