Milage??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
I am about to finally get my boat outside of Boot Key Harbor for the first time in two years!! Hoping to get to the Exumas but I'm having trouble remembering what kind of milage I get with my two Ford Lehmans in my 42' Formosa trawler... Seems I guessed roughly two miles to the gallon... Does that sound right??

May be best to measure fuel consumption at normal cruise RPM for your specific vessel. That way you will avoid speculation from complete strangers. That said I’d guess 2 nmpg is in the ballpark for a pair of 130s at 1400 RPM. :D

2nmpg sounds about right for about 7-8kts. But beware that adding just another 100rpm around hull speed can increase burn rate by more than you think.

How do you measure tank level? Sight level hoses, dipsticks or electric gauges? Sight hoses and dipsticks can give you very accurate measure of burn, electric gauges not so much.

Figure 6 gal per hour at cruise until you can prove otherwise. That should be conservative.

The advice given above jives with my usage. About 5-6 gph combined at high cruise of 1900 for about 9 knots on twin Lehman 135s.

Ken

I am about to finally get my boat outside of Boot Key Harbor for the first time in two years!! Hoping to get to the Exumas but I'm having trouble remembering what kind of milage I get with my two Ford Lehmans in my 42' Formosa trawler... Seems I guessed roughly two miles to the gallon... Does that sound right??

We left Annapolis on May 8th and are now in Ottawa. We have used about 570 gallons of fuel running 145 hours which is 4 GPH at 1,650 RPM, generally. This included about 30 hours of generator time. Our boat is a 56,000 pound Defever 44 with Lehman 120s.

An interesting side note: We had to run on run engine from Ottawa to Manotick, Ontario. We cruised at 1,250 RPM which yielded 5 MPH on the flat, no-current Rideau River (between the locks).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom