My latest canvas project!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good job I have been told to expect to pay $6000 plus for an enclosed Bimini so you have me looking for a sewing machine.

gwkiwi wrote:
Good job I have been told to expect to pay $6000 plus for an enclosed Bimini so you have me looking for a sewing machine.
*Thats what we were told too....and were ready to pay it until we (I love this one) got turned down to be a customer of one shop, and got timelines pushed out months by another, and one shop we were considering actually ran off with his customers money.

Sailrite machine, 800.00.* Sailrite bimini/dodger dvds 30.00, materials roughly 800.00.* I could do three or four more before I get to 4-6k.*

Your best tip is to get out on the docks and look VERY closely at the construction of other boat's canvas. You'll be surprised what you see and the things you've taken for granted.

We weren't as ambitious as you were, partly because we don't have a Bimini so no need for the enclosure.
However, my wife sewed up a front window cover and side curtain/sun screens out of Sunbrella.
Next on the list is a removeable side curtain for the back deck so we can sit out there when the sun makes the back deck too hot, and blows into the big back window baking the saloon..
We were lucky and in the family was an old '50's Singer that was, although not industrial, not too far off as my Mother used it for professional sewing many years ago[I was a twerp,maybe still am]. It won't do fancy stitching without a lot of attachments and which would be useless in this case. It didn't really like the heavy stuff but there were only a few spots that required more than three or four layers. A thorough oiling and greasing before hand, new belt, new needles and it worked well.

If you aren't too ambitious and expect to only do lighter stuff and not a lot of it then one of these may be suitable, particularily if the price is right.

Cool. I would say that the walking foot of the Sailrite is the thing, other than the fact it could sew two sheets of plywood together ;-) is the huge feature it has going for it.

Back
Top Bottom