I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update from my CPA

I ask if the recipient would have to pay a sales or use tax when he or she receives the boat as a "gift."

It's hard to beat the tax man. *You could do what the previous owner did on my boat: *Have lighting strike and burn it almost to the ground and sell it to (prospective giftee) on the cheep. *THAN watch as years go buy and tens and tens of thousands of dollars go in it to EARN IT!!! *A boat is like a wife, you earn it. *Every day I work to earn the family, it's not given. *I'm not an a-hole I just know when you give it away, it's going to be a dud and your going to be pissed. *Good to hear from you though.

SeaHorse II wrote:
Sundog:

I appreciate your response to this thread but in all honesty there are about 10 peope I'm considering giving the boat to. 5 are on this Forum!

The number of considerations that are on this Forum is now 4.

SeaHourse, I had an idea. What if you were to narrow the field of prospective giftee's down to lets say five. Have the five write bio's of themselves on a web site. Each of them pick out there favorite charity and let them start fund raising. They would need to be creative, local news media, internet, GMA local news and friends. Each prospective would raise as much money for charity as they could and the most documented money raised would get the boat. That way they would be involved and have some "skin in the game".

Paul:

Your idea sounds interesting and very creative however my goal is to get SeaHorse in loving hands and not necessarily with someone who can raise the most money for charity. I'm also narrowing it down to geographical locations. (ie: in the water 12 months a year, temperate climate, etc.) At the moment I'm favoring the PNW (And possibly with my own family if they can demonstrate their ability and commitment* to take care of her.) I think the ability is there but not the commitment. I also have decided on keeping her on the West Coast for a number of reasons. (Her nav system has all the electronic charts from NW Alaska to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. No need for the new owner to order any new electronic charting. (See my photo below)

Marin came up with an interesting idea along these same lines (PNW) & I'm presently investigating the possibilities.

In the meantime I've had her lazarette and shower sump locker (not the sump itself) cleaned and painted & her swim platformed re-sealed & oiled which I inspected an hour ago. (Looks great!) The emergency tiller, however, has some rust on it that must be removed and repainted & a zerk fitting (rusty) on the rudder post needs to be replaced. It seems that there's always something to be done if you want the boat to look t--s!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 14th of November 2011 09:09:07 AM

Attachments

• img_3539.jpg
    img_3539.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 71
  • img_3538.jpg
    img_3538.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 72
SeaHorse II wrote:
*(And possibly with my own family if they can demonstrate their ability and commitment* to take care of her.) I think the ability is there but not the commitment.*

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
This is the most promising post i've read yet
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Is there a riverkeeper or waterway watchdog organization that could use it?

If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever, I would donate it to someone on the Great Lakes, The season is only a few months per year, then into the indoor storage building( some of these are heated ).

The water is fresh, which equals less corrosion.

The water is cold, and 9 months a year to dry out (less osmosis).

Long off season for yard to redo brightwork etc.

Much less Sun exposure* (less UV damage).

This makes the Great Lakes an awesome place to buy a used boat.

In the water all year in a hot climate.* Not the best for boats.

IMHO*** JohnP

JohnP wrote:
If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever, I would donate it to someone on the Great Lakes, The season is only a few months per year, then into the indoor storage building( some of these are heated

In the water all year in a hot climate.* Not the best for boats.

IMHO*** JohnP
*Trouble is, the above is the best climate to actually ENJOY a boat in...kinda presents a dilemma doesn't it.* Buy in the Great Lakes, and sail in the Florida Keys, maybe...

JohnP wrote:
If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever,......

It's interesting you brought the Great Lakes region up as I have a nephew in Erie, PA that has his captain's license and makes his living by skippering a research vessel. I've seen that vessel, however, and he definitely is not a candidate.

Marin wrote:Per wrote:
I mean, what would I use two boats for? So I would simply give away my 38' California in the same manner.
On the other hand, if you sold your Californian you would then have sufficient funds to keep Walt's boat in the condition he is hoping it will be kept in for as long as you had the boat.* You could even hire out things like waxing and boat detailing if you're too busy to do it yourself :)

*True enough but I feel it is fair to pass on a gift and I do believe I have the funds to keep her in tip top shape. Not sure exactly how much I have spent on the Californian but I am the kind of person who likes things to be in good working order...

I have had the Californian for 1.5 years now, people who see it now is impressed with her classic looks and brightwork. When I first got her, people were not sure if the wood could be brought back.

I had SeaHorse out today for a 2 hour run. First time she's been out in several months. I do start her up every two weeks or so, in the slip, and run her in gear until the temps come up. I can't believe how good that made me feel!

She ran perfectly!* (I've got to get my mojo back.)

Attachments

• img_2105.jpg
    img_2105.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 53
SeaHorse II wrote:
I had SeaHorse out today for a 2 hour run. First time she's been out in several months. I do start her up every two weeks or so, in the slip, and run her in gear until the temps come up. I can't believe how good that made me feel!

She ran perfectly!* (I've got to get my mojo back.)
*Sounds like a few more 2 hour runs just may help you get that mojo back.
smile.gif

Man, I get a wood just hearing my genset run. I can't imagine the "mojo" I'll be rolling with when I actually get to go for a weekend. Keep us posted and hopefully you'll change your mind
smile.gif

"I had SeaHorse out today for a 2 hour run. First time she's been out in several months. I do start her up every two weeks or so, in the slip, and run her in gear until the temps come up. I can't believe how good that made me feel!

She ran perfectly! (I've got to get my mojo back.)"

My day started a little off center...* you just gave me as big lift!* Nothin' better than being on the water.
smile.gif
* Thanks, Walt.

Nothing like a boat run to break away from the routine. It relieves all pressures and soothes the soul. There ain't nothin' like it!!

Even just "hanging around" is a joy.

Attachments

• hanging around.jpg
    hanging around.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 53
Walt:

Rather than getting rid of your boat (however you propose to do it), keep it in San Diego and we will set up a rotational usage schedule for forum members who live in the cold northern and eastern waters to use it through the winter months.
We could also compete to see who leaves the boat in the best condition, with the reward being extra time credits.
That way there are no tax implications for anyone, and when you have your mojo back, you can even have a place in the schedule.

-- Edited by koliver on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 10:06:31 AM

koliver wrote:
Walt:

*keep it in San Diego and we will set up a rotational usage schedule for forum members who live in the cold northern and eastern waters to use it through the winter months. .......
you have your mojo back, you can even have a place in the schedule.
Ken:
What a wonderful idea!* Let me see now....I pay all the taxes, slip fees, maintenance, insurance, diver's fee, etc. and you guys get to put a lot of hours on it!* I'm surprised I didn't think of that!* :frustrated:

Walt:

Glad to see you are on board for this. I'll get started on the schedule right away.

Keith

-- Edited by koliver on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 10:33:29 AM

koliver wrote:I'll get started on the schedule right away.

Yeah how about that. We could do it like a time share. Seahorse II could be the official Trawler Forum Yacht. Available to members only.

We could pay for all the fees thru the donate button.

When someone is in the area they could use the boat as long as there donation was current and of an adequate* ammount.

If you wanted to you could go along as the captain or the fee could include a hired capt'n.

That way when I go visit my mother in law I can get away for a boat fix.

Whadda ya think.

SD

Walt:

"Does this include staying at my house and eating most of your meals here?"

I hadn't thought of that, but it will surely increase the level of interest that we all have in coming to San Diego. It is a long way for most of us to drive, after all. What is your address? Would you be there, or in Sedona? Maybe your location could be part of the schedule, so we know whether we need to bring wine to share (if you are in residence).

You don't need to worry about the condition in which forum members will leave your boat. We can all man up to our responsibilities, for cleanliness, filling up the fuel tank, repairing any breakages, etc. I am a little more concerned about your house, as I don't know the competence of our fellow members around the house, so you should probably be there when we are. Besides, we all need to get better acquainted with you, so we can find ways to express our appreciation for your generosity. Right Guys?... Guys?

Keith

koliver wrote:Walt:

Glad to see you are on board for this. I'll get started on the schedule right away.

Keith

-- Edited by koliver on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 10:33:29 AM
*Me too! Me too!*
jump-for-joy.gif

OK Walt, I'll be there tomorrow. Let's get your mojo working! But I insist on buying the dinner. ;-)

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 02:03:45 PM

I'll need a plane ticket Walt. Mississippi to So.Cal. is a little to much for my yogo. I like steak and the little lady likes lobster and First Class is fine if you insist. Man this is going to work out great. Thanks

Does this look like a man who is not enjoying his boat(ing)?

Attachments

• walt.jpg
    walt.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 56
dwhatty wrote:
Does this look like a man who is not enjoying his boat(ing)?
*No more like a man with to much Photo Shop time on his hands.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom