Headset Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boating5

Anyone have recommendations on headsets? We are new to the forum and new owners of a 52' trawler. We know a headset will be one of our first purchases.

There was a thread running two weeks ago on headsets, do a quick search. We have the Eartecs and are happy with them.

Welcome aboard. We don’t have headsets, so I cannot make a recommendation but wanted to say welcome.

Lots of options there. Is this a "peer to peer" link? Or, do you want ability to mate to a portable VHF radio?
I probably own the most sophisticated headset $ can buy. It links to a portable radio, has active noise cancellation, windproof with no boom mic used, shot noise drop out (in case you find yourself in a firefight):nonono:

Its personal preference but the Eartecs were a bit too bulky for our taste and we also didn't want to spend a fortune on other options. For a while we did try basic bluetooth headsets to smartphone where we simply called each other during docking. This works okay as long as you have cellular service but of course thats not always the case. I kept searching and i happened across these small headsets that I believe were originally designed for motorcycle riders to talk to each other;
Vnetphone Professional 1200M V6C.
Amazon has them for about $60 a piece; you buy two and pair them together via bluetooth, no cellular or anything else required. they are very small and have a small ear piece/microphone that fits my ear pretty well but leaves my other ear open to listen for other things that are going on.
The instructions were clearly written somewhere where English was a 2nd language so initial pairing is a bit trial and error but you only have to do it the first time. after that, linking is automatic.
Voice clarity is excellent and we've had them for about half a season... so far so good.

We have a pair of the Sena headsets purchased through Cruising Solutions. They give AGLCA members a discount.

They work great and have really helped us communicate during docking/undocking.

Welcome to the forum!

Gene

Congratulations and welcome!
Based on recommendations here and from our boating friends we recently bought a pair of Sena SPH 10s.

Work great, don’t fall off and have the Bluetooth range you’ll want.

We use the same headsets. Two years now they have been great.

Lots of options there. Is this a "peer to peer" link? Or, do you want ability to mate to a portable VHF radio?
I probably own the most sophisticated headset $ can buy. It links to a portable radio, has active noise cancellation, windproof with no boom mic used, shot noise drop out (in case you find yourself in a firefight):nonono:

So what do you have???

Yeah, that other recent thread had some good info...

We've got the SENA SPH10 bluetooth headsets, and so far they work well.

-Chris

Sena SP 10 - Cruising Solutions usually matches any published internet price

Thanks Dave ... you didn't mention what you have.

There was a thread running two weeks ago on headsets, do a quick search. We have the Eartecs and are happy with them.

We have the same and are very happy with them. Worked awesome in the Columbia/Snake River locks as I can't see the bollard and the Admiral does a great job talking me in.

Eartec UL2S

Eartecs are the best we found. Handsfree and very good sound quality.

A word of caution about inexpensive intercoms - don’t do it and expect it to last more than a few months. Been there are done that too often in the past.

It's hard to beat the Sea SPH 10 model. Excellent bluetooth range, waterproof, no cords and they stay on your head well.

We've had the Eartecs for a couple years and love them.

Have to agree with menzies (don’t often disagree) EarTech worked best for us (we use three headsets). When you can’t see they are great.

We got the Sena units - first purchase after inking the boat purchase paperwork. After we mastered the bluetooth pairing process, we found these units to work great and they live up to their reputation as "marriage savers."

Gordon, marriage saver? Your ear piece doesn’t work?

We had a set that had the controller/battery plugged to the headset via a wire so you had to keep that in your pocket or attached. Needless to say after two of those went in the drink, we switched to eartecs and love them.

Nuheara IQbuds boost. Best in ear, noise cancelling, wireless, Bluetooth headset I've ever owned. I can jog with them in without any issues. They start when you take them out of the travel case, shut down when you put them back. Then they recharge from the battery in the case. The case is rechargeable. Plus they have the ability to profile your hearing so you get boost in the ranges your hearing has deteriorated over. I think in the USA they may even qualify as hearing aids under health insurance. They have the ability to do things like pause, skip, outside world on or off and many other functions from simple taps on the buds. Well worth a look if your in the market for headsets.

Nuheara IQbuds boost. Best in ear, noise cancelling, wireless, Bluetooth headset I've ever owned. I can jog with them in without any issues. They start when you take them out of the travel case, shut down when you put them back. Then they recharge from the battery in the case. The case is rechargeable. Plus they have the ability to profile your hearing so you get boost in the ranges your hearing has deteriorated over. I think in the USA they may even qualify as hearing aids under health insurance. They have the ability to do things like pause, skip, outside world on or off and many other functions from simple taps on the buds. Well worth a look if your in the market for headsets.

Sounds good, but are these headsets for use with a cell phone or freestanding intercom units? The nice thing about the Sena headsets which I have (and I think the EarTec) is that they can be used without a cell phone.

Headset Recomendations

We purchased 2 Bluetooth Handsfree Units from a Harley Davidson store They work so well in the wind no background or wind noise, and allow us to stay calm and communicate all around the boat. you can add up to 4 units in a group.Sena Technologies SPH 10 Model

That’s SENA SPH 10. They also hold their charge a long time.

we paired a sena sp10 with a sena Expand headset. works great as an intercom, also paired to our respective mobile phones and music.

Back
Top Bottom