Hose Bibb for Raw Water Washdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I’m getting ready to install a Groco C-60 raw water wash-down pump. I need to terminate it on a hose bibb that penetrates a locker near the bow—I’m guessing 1/4” to 1/2” fiberglass, maybe thicker (I’m 800 miles from the boat). What do most of you use? I’m thinking most household bibbs would corrode quickly with salt water, so maybe bronze or plastic? I will only pressurize the system when we’re washing down the anchor chain or bow area, so would a quick-connect work here?

Thanks in advance.

I’m getting ready to install a Groco C-60 raw water wash-down pump. I need to terminate it on a hose bibb that penetrates a locker near the bow—I’m guessing 1/4” to 1/2” fiberglass, maybe thicker (I’m 800 miles from the boat). What do most of you use? I’m thinking most household bibbs would corrode quickly with salt water, so maybe bronze or plastic? I will only pressurize the system when we’re washing down the anchor chain or bow area, so would a quick-connect work here?

Thanks in advance.

I have one on “Kinship” but I believe it is stainless?

We have one of the Jabsco wash down connector..........:thumb:

Attachments

• 158715-jabsco-jab-31911-000-it1-tif.jpg
    158715-jabsco-jab-31911-000-it1-tif.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 78
There are multiple versions of stainless fittings for this, both traditional (threaded) and quick connect. Or you can put a quick-connect on a new threaded fitting and be able to use it either way. Check West Marine or Defender online to see some of what is available.

Cheap-ass plastic crap. That will fail/break/leak in about, oh, a year? Buy a spare for when you drop it. For the prices they charge Jabsco just "barely" makes anything anymore that will live past the warranty.

Last edited:
I've got 3 of the Jabsco units on two boats, 10 years on they are all working fine so I'd say they outlasted the warrantee. Yeah I think you could break them with abuse or ignorance. They have one drawback and that is due to the self sealing valve, you really have to have the system depressurized to insert the bayonet hose bibb fitting, otherwise it's pretty tough to get in.

I have a lot of Jabsco as well as Shurflo, Whale, and other brand equipment, I'd say while any individual product has it's pros and cons, Jabsco overall is about the same price, and about the same quality and longevity as the others.

Thanks all, I’m going to try the Jabsco and see how it goes. Appreciate the feedback.

. They have one drawback and that is due to the self sealing valve, you really have to have the system depressurized to insert the bayonet hose bibb fitting, otherwise it's pretty tough to get in.

That's been out experience. Have two (Port & Stbd) for FW wash down. Wife has to have me do the connect/deconnect. Even when depressurized it can be a bit of a frig.

On the plus side, it is really nice to have a flush mount. No spigot sticking out to catch up on.

For the SW wash down that I installed for anchor and chain, we have one of these mounted in a recess at the bow. Happy with it. Since its in a recess, no snagging. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234222|2234225&id=2546204

Last edited:
Cheap-ass plastic crap. That will fail/break/leak in about, oh, a year? Buy a spare for when you drop it. For the prices they charge Jabsco just "barely" makes anything anymore that will live past the warranty.

I'll second a spare connector. They're a proprietary sort of design, so it should be in the spares inventory anyway. I have 3 of the quick connects, 1 freshwater & saltwater on the bow, one fresh in the cockpit. In 11 yrs of full-time cruising, I've replaced one of the blue plastic connectors due to wear. I find them to be up to the task. It helps to periodically clean them and apply silicone grease to the O-rings and the keyway slots. Makes them a lot easier to remove/insert.

My wife does have trouble occasionally getting them inserted, she just doesn't have an abundance of forearm strength. It helps to open the hose nozzle with one hand while removing the connector with the other to drop the pressure. It's really handy to have adjacent seawater and freshwater connections. If we pull up a real muddy chain, we can just switch the hose to the seawater connector and spray away, then back to fresh to final rinse.

Attachments

• washdowns.JPG
    washdowns.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I installed the coiled hose in a recessed canister on the bow for anchor w/d. It's plumbed to a T between the fore and aft w/d connections. The aft is a hose bib under the FB ladder. Good for cleaning fish and fighting off water cannon enthusiasts at the 4th of July Delta Festivities. A single lighted On/Off switch at the lower helm controls the circuit.

Lemme know if you want pics.

Well, I did a U-turn and ordered the Scandvik angled faucet. It will be mounted in a fairly out-of-the-way spot and I think the conventional hose attachment will be easier for my bride to manage.

Thanks again.

I went with no bib. I use a garden hose in the bilge connected one end to a 1 HP pool pump and other end to a long section of super flexible dishwasher drain line I salvaged from discard dishwasher. That passes through a drilled hole in the boat deck. I glued in a grey PVC fitting into the deck hole , the drain line slips in and out of that, and falls into the chain locker when not used. the ends of the dishwasher drain line were a molded rubber, I ground the end a little and fit on an Orbiz male hose end from Walmart, simply screws onto the drain hose, To that I attached a Camco RV on-off valve and brass spray tip from Amazon. To join drainline to garden hose, 2 clamps and a piece of 1/2 inch copper tube.

It does stick straight up out from the deck a few inches. I have it close to the windless so its not a tripping nuisance. Simply pull up and you have about 6 foot of working hose, then drop it back into the deck.

That drain line is very flexible bendy stuff and is non kink. So far it has held up ok. I would have gone with plain hose, but it seems too stiff to work as well, but a super flexible section of garden hose etc...should work too, why not? The hose is always there ready to use, just pull it up out from the deck.

Camco Hose connect, everything has worked fine for about 4 years, but I did change out the pump from a Jabsco utility to pool pump this year. Better uses for the jabsco pump than doing this job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IX86E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Actually, this item is quite beefy and I don't believe Jabsco makes it at all.

I have one and its pretty well designed. All of it is beefy stainless except the hose adapter.

Looks like the actual developer is Aquor Water Systems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...e=ur2&linkId=c1e1b7d982392f92b4b0dafb4106501b

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom