Feeling lucky - averted a major failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
Took a closer look at my raw water intake hoses yesterday. It’s a part of my normal visual inspection but for some reason I decided to feel the starboard engine hose as it passed under the transmission. Low and behold I felt three deep gouges in the hose, hidden from view. Apparently the hose had been chaffing against the rear outboard motor mount for a very long time. The PO missed it, the survey missed it and I’ve been missing it.

Scary given the potential consequences.

Quick trip to Fisheries to replace both hoses along with some added anti chaffing protection.

The lesson for me - is it’s not enough to visually inspect hard to access systems. Touch and inspect every inch of your critical systems - often.

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Good catch Airstream. You have succinctly pointed to me I need to do a genset raw water obscured hose feel test.

Great catch, thanks for posting.

Good can catch. If you haven’t read Steve D’Antonio’s Genie in the Cigar Box story, it’s worth a google search and a read. Sticking you head in there is the key to finding problems. They are there. You just need to find them.

That's why I am a DIYer...when I'm in the engine room I'm lookin' at everything, not just the job I am workin' on.

Good can catch. If you haven’t read Steve D’Antonio’s Genie in the Cigar Box story, it’s worth a google search and a read. Sticking you head in there is the key to finding problems. They are there. You just need to find them.

I didn't actually write it, but I quote it, it seems, continuously. Long-time industry colleague and friend Kiko Villalon is the author, he is a legend in the marine industry and one of my heroes. In his late 80s now and still traveling the world consulting and holding court at various marine events from Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam.

Here's a link to the article The Boat Genie in the Cigar Box | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

An interview with Kiko can be accessed here https://www.soundingsonline.com/new...ugusto-kiko-villalon-ancon-marine-consultants

I recently wrote about a similar story in my monthly Photo Essay May 2018 Newsletter | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom