Outdoor Electrical Outlet Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All,
After at least an hour on google I’m turning to this forum as I really can’t believe what I am looking for doesn’t exsist.
I need to add 110v power to the exterior wall next to my rear entry door for an AC/DC cooler, I’m going AC since I have an interior outlet right there and it will be handy for tools, etc. I thought for sure someone would make an AC recepticle that has a flange and threaded body where I could just drill a 1.5” hole and install it, like I would any 12v or usb receptacles. Yet I can’t find anything that doesn’t require a large (standard 1gang box) sized hole to be cut in my wall.

Does what I’m looking for exist and if not what are my best options?

Picture of the 12v version of what I’m looking for is attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• F6A187A0-AD72-48D9-ADC1-9AD6DF94400A.jpg
    F6A187A0-AD72-48D9-ADC1-9AD6DF94400A.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 94
Home depot or marine supplier.... 15A 115V

Just make a pigtail with 2 female ends

Or just buy a srandard home electrical box and weathertight cover like many boats use.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
...Or just buy a srandard home electrical box and weathertight cover like many boats use.

:thumb: We've had one of these with a gfci for 11 plus years. Works great and have never had any issues.

Attachments

• 45AD2CC0-A5B3-4A52-8E35-F711A2AF80E8.jpeg
    45AD2CC0-A5B3-4A52-8E35-F711A2AF80E8.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 92
Since I only need 1 outlet I was hoping there would be something simple, will likely go with the house type. Exposed plugs and a 4 year old are a bad combo so I already nixed the RV input plug idea.

That thing that PSsneeld shows would electrocute anybody touching those prongs. DON'T use that!

better to snipe than help....

10 seconds research....Hubble outlet.....

my apology...you werent sniping.... :eek:

Attachments

• HUBKELC00012_V21_TN7.jpg
    HUBKELC00012_V21_TN7.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I'm not sniping, that was bad advice. A lot of people on this site actually listen to our advice and that one was a mistake.

Ok...good call...

...and I did find the unit I was looking for quick enough...

Hmm, wonder why that never showed up in any of my searches.

Thanks!!

What about cutting off the plug end of the freezer cord, running it thru a water tight grommet, then hard wire into the existing inside box?

Obviously you want be able to unplug and remove the freezer without unwiring it, but I expect you would secure it in place anyway and not remove it until it needs to be replaced, so would hard wiring really create a hardship?

If you are just trying to minimize the size of the hole you have to cut, you could get a surface mounted box/outlet.

Attachments

• FH08DJA_LIGEAS_11.JPG
    FH08DJA_LIGEAS_11.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 203
Don't have a picture, but I mounted a plastic exterior box and lid like above with a 30 amp twist lock and a 20 amp normal house outlet, behind an access door in the transom (inside). The two outlets are fed by a 20 amp breaker. Have a few friends I will raft up with or share a dock without shore power. This gives them the ability to run heat, AC, or charge the batteries when I'm running the generator.

Ted

Don't have a picture, but I mounted a plastic exterior box and lid like above with a 30 amp twist lock and a 20 amp normal house outlet, behind an access door in the transom (inside). The two outlets are fed by a 20 amp breaker. Have a few friends I will raft up with or share a dock without shore power. This gives them the ability to run heat, AC, or charge the batteries when I'm running the generator.

Ted

Now THAT is mighty neighborly of you! Boaters helping boaters...it's a beautiful thing. :thumb:

"Now THAT is mighty neighborly of you! Boaters helping boaters...it's a beautiful thing. "

In Rv's these are called buddy plugs and 30A is the most common pass over plug size.

Back
Top Bottom