What is the antenna on the right for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellesar6

Vessel Name
It's 5 O'Clock Here
Vessel Make
Mainship 30' Pilot
IMG_1423.jpg

+1 on the wifi/cell guess.

What's the other end of the wire connected to??

We don’t know yet. Haven’t taken possession of the boat yet and the broker doesn’t know what it’s for either.

It looks like an old helical gps antenna like simrad and Magellan used to use or an old loran antenna with the whip removed.

If the boat has AIS it needs a VHF antennae to receive other boat's information - could be that?

Looks like my sat radio antenna.

Its now yellow, so whatever it was it's likely obsolete now. Total guess at cell phone service.

After I purchasing my 44' trawler, I asked for all paperwork and available history, The last owners name and address, phone were there I called him and he was very pleased to give my info.
Try that,
Have boating

oops double post

Last edited:
It’s not likely Loran unless it’s older than 1990. Many of the commercial fishing vessels I chartered had it but no one really kept it up after 1990, perhaps earlier. I have no idea what the antennae looked like. Loran was never intended for, or that useful in inland waters, due to the effect of islands and mainland features. For example, I remember a discussion way back in the day with one of my fisherman if they could get occasional loran fixes off the Fraser River in the Strait of Georgia and I was told it wasn’t useful in that area. It was mostly employed by the off-shore fleet, west coast trollers and trawlers. For example they would mention that they were on or liked a tack on the XX,XXX line.

Last edited:
Right now we’re guessing it might be Sirius XM. The boat is a 2006.

I think the manufacturer was Terk, newer models have a different design.

I have one just like it on my boat. The antenna for a cellular booster.

It’s not a Loran antenna. Loran antennas are 3/8” in diameter and 12” long. WiFi antennas are 2.4ghz which is usually 3/4” diameter and 18-24” long. This looks more like a cell phone booster. I don’t know what a satellite radio antenna looks like so maybe.

It’s not a Loran antenna. Loran antennas are 3/8” in diameter and 12” long. WiFi antennas are 2.4ghz which is usually 3/4” diameter and 18-24” long. This looks more like a cell phone booster. I don’t know what a satellite radio antenna looks like so maybe.

It looks like a Micrologic loran preamp antenna with the whip removed. It's hard to tell from that angle but I've seen enough of them to make a guess, at least. ;)

Prob is something else though. The base doesn't look right when I zoom in on the pic.

Well, do we have an answer yet?

Back
Top Bottom