View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #19
healhustler
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When we selected our KK Manatee, most of the boats on our short list were cats. Space, economy and draft were high on our list of priorities. If I wasn't so big and stiff, the PDQ 34 would have been our loop boat. Decent space, super efficient, separate shower, good galley and with a beam of 16 ft, not that bad for loop slips anywhere. Tight, but doable maintenance spaces. You still need to lie over the engines to change out the impellers though. The PDQ 41 is nearly as efficient with more capacity and a main deck master stateroom. A bit better in the service spaces and cavernous storage help but the cost is still out of our range. With a beam over 18', somewhat more difficult to get slips but if I could afford one I'd deal with it.

Endeavour 36 is an excellent loop boat and at mid 100's pricing, you get three staterooms and a big shower/head on a good economic platform. They are ugly and the bridge deck is a bit low, but maintenance spaces are reasonable. It's bigger sister 44 Trawlercat has a great full beam forward master and like the 36, a low profile for reduced windage and bridge clearance. The wider hulls make for more space in the rear staterooms and engine cells beneath the berths. Bob Vincent keeps improving the design here and there.

Endeavour also offers their 40 Sky Lounge and 38 Trawlercat with twin inboard diesels or gas outboards. Again, with beams of 16 ft., the slip challenge around the loop is much more manageable than most. Additionally, the 40 Sky Lounge is a genuine condo on keels. The 38 uses the same hulls minus the Sky Lounge's upper deck, giving it better windage and lighter overall weight for the hulls, probably improved economy. The outboards leave the former engine spaces empty for massive storage, but even with the inboard diesels, access is decent.

Other loop candidates in the 300 or below range would have to include the Fontaine Pajot 37 Maryland (maintenance really tight), a few custom makers and maybe the Leopard 37's now coming off charter leases. Worth mentioning are some of the damaged Leopard 47 charter cats coming from the Caribbean. They are cheap enough if you can find someone to repair them. If I was a bit younger, I may take on one of those myself, but trying to loop in one of those 47's, too wide. If not already, one might find an older Robinson & Caine 47 in the 300 range, not as efficient, but I think the beam was around 19 or so.

Lagoon 43's and 44's might fall in the 300 range, but feature two wet heads instead of separate showers, and even though the master is a gorgeous looking thing, the half-height ceiling idea just doesn't work for me. The boat slams in head seas and maintenance space is tight. It's good looking, but over 21' wide, not the best looper. There are a few Africats (great, but wide) and some custom makes that might qualify, but keeping under 300 and loop-able isn't that easy while still having enough room for what basically must become your home for a year. My 2 cents.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote