Spares for trip North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Starting to put together a list of spares for my trip north. The engine (JD6068) and Genset (NL12KW) are brand new as are most of the boats systems. Also I have full redundancy in all electronics except the Furuno AP.

Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.
I’ve focused on things that could really screw up the trip, for instance loosing 1 of 2 heads isn’t a big deal, loosing fresh water pressure would be.

-Prop
-Fresh Water Pump
-Variety of Hoses
-Hose Clamps
-Fuses (ATC, Main Batteries) (Look at Thrusters)
-Impellers for pumps
-3M 4200 Sealant
-3M 5200 Adhesive
-Pipe Wrap to fix leaks
-Fiberglass and Epoxy
-Balmar mc614

Arthur

We kept our old alternator after upgrading it. That's one thing that could really screw up a trip if it broke beyond repair...just compare the price of one mailed to your home to one delivered by floatplane.

Spare parts for the windlass (if it doesn't have a manual option in case of failure) would be another thing that's pretty much essential, especially for a boat your size where Armstrong anchor retrieval would be impossible.

There are no tow services. Some areas have no radio contact because of surrounding mountains, narrow channels, and twisting waterways. It could be days before another boat comes around, so self reliance in being able to get to a safe place to anchor is a must if the main engine quits.

It bears repeating...self reliance is the key.

Have a great trip :thumb:

I'd also check around for second hand charts. Pretty confusing area to be in if your electronic chart system fails.

Starting to put together a list of spares for my trip north. The engine (JD6068) and Genset (NL12KW) are brand new as are most of the boats systems. Also I have full redundancy in all electronics except the Furuno AP.

Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.
I’ve focused on things that could really screw up the trip, for instance loosing 1 of 2 heads isn’t a big deal, loosing fresh water pressure would be.

-Prop
-Fresh Water Pump
-Variety of Hoses
-Hose Clamps
-Fuses (ATC, Main Batteries) (Look at Thrusters)
-Impellers for pumps
-3M 4200 Sealant
-3M 5200 Adhesive
-Pipe Wrap to fix leaks
-Fiberglass and Epoxy
-Balmar mc614

Arthur

Add..

fuel filters
dinghy repair kit
motor oil
engine zincs
alternator belts
pressure water pump
distilled water ( if you have wet sell batteries)
bear bells with your name on them ( if a bear eats you they can identify you from the bears' poop)
dinghy anchor with bungee cord and retrieval line so you can anchor dinghy off the beach

HOLLYWOOD

One thing I learned the hard way is to carry some wire. I had a ground go bad on me and I had to get some wire to replace it. At the time I could not fine out why I lost the ground so I just ran a new ground wire and all was well again. Now I carry at least 25 feet of heavy wire.

duct-tape_o_1038228.jpg

Hydraulic steering? grab some extra hose/fittings

Good advice here.
I would add a spare starter for your 6068. These engines are also used in construction/logging equipment, as well as agricultural machinery, but you will be in remote areas and if you can't start your engine........

You should also include a set of booster cables. In case battery problems, you can boost anything from anything.

Spare Schraeder valve. Mine failed on the Hynautic air over oil tank, and I spent a long time throttle steering before I got another one.

No fixed schedule so when inevitable occurs you’ve got the time to deal with issue. Lots of places to buy parts or fly things in between Tacoma and Seward.

Good and frequent ER checks when operating can spot most issues early on and allow time for parts, mechanics or electricians to be arranged in advance if beyond a DIY.

Great feedback, thank you all! Items have been added to the list. Also adding a complete set of high pressure fuel lines, I’ve had 2 fail now 120 hrs into the engine so making JD give me extras as they seem pretty field replaceable.

Add..

...bear bells with your name on them ( if a bear eats you they can identify you from the bears' poop)
dinghy anchor with bungee cord and retrieval line so you can anchor dinghy off the beach...

HOLLYWOOD

Add bear spray with holster for each member who goes to shore. It’s the deterrent of choice at close quarters with bears.

Great feedback, thank you all! Items have been added to the list. Also adding a complete set of high pressure fuel lines, I’ve had 2 fail now 120 hrs into the engine so making JD give me extras as they seem pretty field replaceable.

Sounds like it’s a vibration issue. Worth pursuing further.

Jim

Add bear spray with holster for each member who goes to shore. It’s the deterrent of choice at close quarters with bears.

I went creek walking with a 'traveling guardian' who keeps tabs on commercial fishing boats and walks creeks to count spawning salmon in the Douglas Channel / north coast BC area for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

The mainland creeks and rivers here have very healthy grizzly and black bear populations which he meets on a regular basis while walking creeks by himself.

He has counted over 20 bears in one day of creek walking.

I noticed he had one large can of bear spray on each hip, so asked, "You must of had a situation where one can wasn't enough, eh?"

His answer was, "Yup".

I didn't pester him for the whole story :eek:

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s a vibration issue. Worth pursuing further.

Jim
Repair guy is working on it now, they think it was a bad batch with a manufacturing defect as both occurred in the same spot on the line. Will be replacing all 6 next week, for now they stole two off a tractor engine (yellow) so I can continue my weekend...

Hydraulic steering? grab some extra hose/fittings

And fluid to replace.

Before learning to check steering as part of my dockside pre-departure checklist I managed to get out of the marina despite 'mushy' steering, but luckily had enough hydraulic fluid on board to top up, turn around, and get back in safely.

Tiller steering in the rain for days would suck.

Calder's, and what about mosquito repellent?

I had a clogged fuel line. Because I have an electronic fuel pump I was able to swap the direction, pumping Seafoam back through the clog. That got me going again.

...and what about mosquito repellent?...

Oh...yah...! Lots for north of Caution. Mostly for Deer and Horseflies. And get one of those "tennis racket" bug zappers. Makes for great fun for those times when you're having cocktails on the on the deck.

Jim

Belts, wire terminals, wire including enough for one battery wire, Tyraps, GOOD electrical tape/heat shrink, coolant, oil for all engines/gears and hydraulic systems, spare filters for all especially fuel filters, , screws and bolts, sealers/glues, lubes/greases, wiper blades and one arm, DMM and extra leads, If you have any copper tubing around then a double flaring tool ,spare flare nuts and spare copper tubing, duct tape[good stuff], rescue tape or equivalant.
Holding tank pump - I note you have two heads but two separate holding tank systems? A holding tank pump failure if only one holding tank would not be fun.

We just returned from Barkley Sound and in addition to the GPS we had all devices we owned, three tablets, two phones, armed with Navionics just in case. Of course charts.

I tried to leave out things already mentioned but I'm sure not all.

What spares to carry is always a difficult call. You can always argue it both ways. I look at wash system and component and not the scope of impact if it fails. It could be anything from an inconvenience to a serious incapacitation. Based on the, I come up with a recovery plan. Some sort of redundancy is the best for critical systems. Next is to carry spares to get something running again. And less important things you just live with.

In SE Alaska, you really aren’t at the end of the earth, and getting things isn’t too hard. The USPS serves everywhere and is generally much faster and more reliable than FedEx or UPS. And for towns served by Alaska air, there gold streak service is excellent. I have ordered parts from fisheries in the morning and had them in my grubby hands that afternoon, all for about the same cost a fed ex or UPS

Rescue tape. The stuff that seals upon wrapping around itself. I used it to secure an engine hose pin hole leak. It happened offshore so no stores nearby. Travelled 125 miles with the tape around the hose back to port. I always carry at least three rolls in addition to many of the items previously noted.

Last edited:
Your spares...

Arthur...
I have twin JD 4045s. In my first 1,000 hours, I lost both raw water pumps. I suggest having a new or rebuilt raw water pump ready to install. I installed one while underway across the Sea of Cortez. It is a LOT easier than changing the impeller. Then, when you're at dock you can have the water pump rebuilt and ready as a backup.

The first one that went out was under warranty and it allowed for a new replacement as a back up.

You'll also need plenty of Racor filters, 30 micron, and enough engine oil/fuel filters and oil to change out two or three times. I say 30 micron because JD insists that using a 10 or 2 micron filters will burn out the fuel pump.

Ditto for your NL... I lost my water pumps on my current Westerbeke and my prior NL.

You might have to clean out your heat exchanger if your impeller is chewed up.

Because of my travel in remote areas, I carried far more spares than I needed and I still have them in the box. If you carry a spare raw water pump and the oil/fuel filters, you should be OK.

Kyle Hunter
MV DESTINY
currently lying Washington DC

Last edited:
J.B. Weld... the second most useful element in the universe after duct tape

With years on the hook doing charter may I suggest AND

* Lift pump for main engine - they ‘never’ fail however I have replaced 2 underway on ford Lehman 120
* sea water impeller for main - best to have a spare pump ready to go to lock and load / spare impellers for gen set
* impeller kit for dingy outboard and make sure to have installed a good in line gas filter. Bring carbearator cleaner to clean jets
* plenty of steering oil and transmission oil
* belt dressing spray for slipping belts (magic)
* marine Tex
* underwater patching compound
* an underwater light and a good knife and mask.
* duct tape / bailing wire
* gasket goop / lock tite

Common failures so nice to have:
* spare sea water pump for A/C units
* spare statrter for main
* spare alternator and belts

Back
Top Bottom