I want to click the "buy it now" button!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 346
Plastic boat
Low hour engine
Looks clean enough
Cheap cheap
Are you there checking it out yet?
If not why not?

based on the writeup...trim issues, temp fuel tank and water damage...5 years of neglect...

$60,000 sounds about right....probably plenty more to fix....

based on the writeup...trim issues, temp fuel tank and water damage...5 years of neglect...

$60,000 sounds about right....probably plenty more to fix....

Stupid me! I didn't see the rest of the description. The fuel tank issue scares me a little but still, I think it would make a nice boat with some effort.

At first sight she shows some blemish:
On the bow, there is a wood rail on starboard, not on port?
The starboard hatch looks broken.
Inside, the ceiling panel looks damaged (water?)
The helm lower helm console is missing one screen and water damage on the sole. Also some instrumentation missing on the bottom right section of the console.
Galley sole shows water damages.
Aft cockpit does not look in good shape.
V berth show damages each side of the bed (water?)
Same with small cabin
Fuel tanks not installed, neglected during 5 years.

I guess this is more a project boat than anything else, and even at 60k not sure I would jump in.

L

Plastic boat
Low hour engine
Looks clean enough
Cheap cheap
Are you there checking it out yet?
If not why not?

Actually...we have a house in South Carolina that my wife & I just happen to be checking on this weekend so who knows...perhaps we'll make a detour. Maybe come Monday I'll have a 42' down east for my new profile picture!

Yes, the Volvo engine is a red flag for me too. I'm not going to be a 2 boat owner anyway. I still might take a look at it to satisfy my curiosity.

Lost me at “I cut out the transom”..... but if you have time, skills and another $50k to put into it you’d have a boat worth $110k.

The transom cut out would be the big one for me to take pause on. If he didn’t know what he was doing it could make the boat structurally unsound. He didn’t just cut a gate into the transom, he took it out from one side to the other. What sort of support did he fabricate to replace the lost structure? And it has a Volvo...

Its nice to buy a boat that was owned by someone who was very handy and capable....but this might be a little too much. Its using a 5 gallon bucket for a fuel tank ???

Hmmm. Minimal decks and no railings. :eek: Still, absence of a flybridge isn't a negative.

Its nice to buy a boat that was owned by someone who was very handy and capable....but this might be a little too much. Its using a 5 gallon bucket for a fuel tank ???
On what was done I question "handy and capable", eg entirely removing the transom. On the plus side, inspecting the fuel tanks could not be easier.

I think its a deal. I wasn't crazy about volvo engine...500 Hours?,nothing. It is a real find for a diy type person in my book. Nice downeast type boat for sub 100k or so...

Maybe the transom removal isn't a structural big deal. Lot's of Nova Scotia built boats don't have a transom for fishing. I hope the current owner had the good sense to consult with the builder before going at it with a sawzall. I woild bring all of the pieces he ripped out & put most of them back, especially the transom.
One of my favorite boats ever is theWesMac 42. I had a friend who had one and she was a sweet running boat. This one is very close to that style. Would it be a lot of work to restore it? Heck yes. I still thing it's a sweet deal. A gem in the rough.

Lost me at “I cut out the transom”..... but if you have time, skills and another $50k to put into it you’d have a boat worth $110k.

Or you might have a boat worth $60,000 that you're in it $110,000. :banghead:

Several years ago I had a boat that was totaled by a BUI boater. His insurance cashed me out and the boat was hauled away to an auction house. I got a call a year or so later by a guy who bought it at the auction. He said "I got a real steal on it. I only paid $50K for it and I've only spent about $60K repairing the damage and I'm almost done."

I didn't have the heart to tell him the boat was only worth about $75K in good, un-wrecked condition.

That transom removal is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hadn't the guy ever heard of a thing called reserve buoyancy. Unless the whole back end of the cabin and cockpit can be made as strong and water tight as the original transom, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Run away, do not walk!

Transom out makes it so easy to board.

So many boats rejected by us simply because you have to climb up and over to get in.
Dangerous on a rough day, dangerous with provisions in hand, pita any other time.
Though I must admit a cutout would be preferable.

No shortage of performance sailboats with no transoms, they manage fine.

Last edited:
That transom removal is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hadn't the guy ever heard of a thing called reserve buoyancy. Unless the whole back end of the cabin and cockpit can be made as strong and water tight as the original transom, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Run away, do not walk!

Lot's of Nova Scotia boats are built with no transom to facilitate access and that one was probably designed as such also but the point is moot because it's no longer listed & we didn't get a chance to look at it this weekend anyway.

Attachments

• time bandit.jpg
    time bandit.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 89
Transom out makes it so easy to board.

So many boats rejected by us simply because you have to climb up and over to get in.
Dangerous on a rough day, dangerous with provisions in hand, pita any other time.
Though I must admit a cutout would be preferable.

No shortage of performance sailboats with no transoms, they manage fine.

I'd argue against a transom if things get really hairy. The ability to very quickly evacuate water is a safety feature. Last thing you want is an enclosed cockpit that can turn into a bathtub. That's largely what drove the evolution in offshore sailboats.

Transom cutout is a non issue in my book. Hundreds of downeast boats have it with much longer back decks...No special strengthening done in the mold to compensate. Glass the piece back in if not liking it. Drop boards are an option too. Personally, I'd keep it.

Fine to have no transom for a boat built to a naval arch's spec to not have a transom, but this is a DIY modification.

What's REALLY nice about this boat is that she's SO PRETTY!

When one's lust is well nourished, the problems are much less problematical, and the rewards are greater. Think of the effort required to restore a Ford Siesta or a Jaguar: same work, same hours. When you're done with the Siesta, you have a Siesta. But, when you're done with the Jaguar, you have a Jaguar!

Now then, about that transom cut-out: Most of our boats have doors cut through the upper sides of the hull. Mine appears to me to have been cut out after the hull and deck were joined. Other very similar-looking boats have their doors in different places. Suggests to me that my supposition is correct. Structurally, that cut-out transom is really just a big door (presuming enough of the corners are intact enough to keep the sides in place, and it looks as though it might be OK). As for safety, consider that most of us have open scuppers, most of us have boats that don't make the slightest pretense about being ocean-going (no dogged doors, watertight hatches, small gasketed ports, freeing ports, etc.)

You love that boat as she is in your minds' eye? You a sucker for hard work and the inevitable punishment? Buy the boat.

Boat hulls need bulkheads for torsional rigidity. Consider a shoe box. What a difference in rigidity with one of short sides removed. That is your hull with the transom completely cut out.

Boat hulls need bulkheads for torsional rigidity. Consider a shoe box. What a difference in rigidity with one of short sides removed. That is your hull with the transom completely cut out.

You're discounting the below waterline half. Plus the cockpit floor. I'm not advocating doing it to just any boat but many have the structural integrity for it not to be a problem. There's a good chance this one does. For all we know, the guy consulted tith the builder before he took the transom out.

What you may be missing is the sunken part or hurricane salvage part. A lot of boats have been moved up the east coast to various locations for salvage or repair.

Back
Top Bottom