Erie Canal - 2018 - 4th ofJuly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humancell

Veteran Member
I’m taking my son on an adventure this week on the Erie Canal. We rented a Canal boat in Seneca Falls that we pick up this Saturday, and we’ll be exploring from June 30th through July 7th.

I’m looking for any thoughts for people who have been in the area on tips on where we might go?

We have 3 days to cruise “out” and three days to get back. We want to spend the 4th of July somewhere, most likely on the way back.

Leaving Seneca Falls we’ve been told by different people to “head west towards Fairport” and “head north towards Oswego”.

I’m curious who votes for what course we might plan on taking to get the best scenery, experience, and towns?

Thoughts?

If you head west, you could make Rochester for the fireworks on July 4, tying up at Corn Hill Landing on the Genessee River, right in the middle of the city. I don't know if you can see them from the boat, but recommended viewing areas are only two blocks away, so it's possible.

Seneca Falls, Newark, Fairport (down the road from me, and I often dock there), and Pittsford are all nice to visit. Fairport is $14/night to dock 31-40 ft with water, electric, clean bathrooms, and showers. Prices went up a little this year, but still dirt cheap.

Don't know about the Oswego Canal portion, though.

Not sure ... can I make it from Rochester to Seneca Falls in two days?

I have to return the boat at 9an on the 7th. Leave Rochester on the 5th ... how many miles is it?

Not sure ... can I make it from Rochester to Seneca Falls in two days?

I have to return the boat at 9an on the 7th. Leave Rochester on the 5th ... how many miles is it?
It's 66 miles, per the Cruising Guide published by NYS Canal Corp. Something like 10 locks plus the Fairport lift bridge (bridge is very quick, though). The locks and bridge close at night. 7:00 am to 5:00 pm for some locks and bridges on the canal, but many are operating 'til 10:00 pm. Hours of Operation - New York State Canals

The speed limit is 10 mph most places in that area, though I don't think those canal boats will actually even go that fast. The rental company will be able to tell you if you can make that schedule. Up to you if you even want to travel 35 miles or so each day, but at least you can start as early as you want in order to get to the Pittsford locks by 7:00 am.

You don't want to be traveling the Canal on a dark night anyway. Many areas get really black on a moonless night.

If it were me, I'd go for it. If I found I couldn't easily make the 35 miles or thereabouts in a day, which should be no sweat with an early start and a stately speed, I'd plan on starting the return earlier. But I don't think it would be a problem.

Not sure I would over plan this, I would personally go west myself, but I'd let how you feel about when to stop, it really is the journey rather then the destination when going through the canal. Not sure the age of your son, but maybe look at towns along the way that might interest him. Or bring bikes and stop earlier and bike for part of each day.
Sounds like a great trip, ENJOY!!

I agree with the west route. We have cruised the Erie canal extensively. (My avatar was taken under Fairport lift bridge)Fairport and Pittsford are both really nice stops. Take some time and walk or bike around. Newark and Palmyra also have nice overnight facilities as well.
You can also tie up at any of the locks, although there is typically very little in the way of services.

There is a nice brew pub/tasting room within a short walk from lock 30, Twisted Rail Brewing.

Enjoy and keep plans as loose as possible. The adventure is half the fun

Mike

I appreciate the input, and agree completely on not over planning or rushing toward a destination.

I had originally thought that Fairport might be the furthest we go. We will have bikes onboard too. Good to know the other towns are good stops. Our thought was to hit 2-3 on the way out, and 1-2 on the way back.

If we want to watch fireworks someplace, it seems we might want to be a little closer back to Seneca Falls to make the return easier.

BTW ... my son is 15, but a mature 15 ... he’s used to adventures like this. This will be his first real boat trip like this, so I want it to be a fun relaxing trip.

Think I'd go west. Pittsford is my favourite stop and you can play it by ear whether you go further west to Rochester. Also if you get back early it's a nice cruise up to Geneva and back from Seneca Falls.

Have fun. I've really enjoyed my couple of trips through that area. There is very little traffic in the central section. Very relaxed boating.

Don't know whether you have any interest in bird watching or nature, but the route out from Seneca Falls goes around and through a nature preserve.

Heading E its a full day through Montezuma to Baldwinsville. Towards Oswego there are few decent decent stops and the towns have limited facilities compared to those heading west so I'd agree that west is best.

Not sure I would want to rush the return trip and have to run long days. Agree w others on good stops. Newark Fairport Pittsford nice... Spencerport also nice. Good swim beach off Geneva if you return early and want to take a short run over to Seneca Lk... only 1 lock from SFalls to Geneva.
Keep a decent log of cruise hrs between towns ob your way out and you can plan your return stops.

Last edited:
If you overnight in Fairport, dock at the east end, near the fixed bridge. It's single-lane with little traffic especially at night (and slow, due to the steep approaches), while the lift bridge to the west is on NY Rt 250 with faster traffic all night. The noise of tires on the roadway grating is quite loud. The east end is where the facilities are anyway, easily accessible by crossing the fixed bridge if docked on the north side. Just don't dock where the Colonial Belle excursion boat docks, just to the east of the dockmaster's shack (it's marked).

Go West... :) if you are renting the Canal boat from Mid-Lakes they may let you dock for the night at Macedon (or if not they may be reciprocal with who you are renting from). We are at the Macedon ( Mid-Lakes) Marina and really enjoy this section of the canal. All nice towns with lots to walk or bike to. Near Fairport a 15 minutes bike ride will get you to the town’s fireworks display on the 4th and a few nice small town activities Town of Penfield
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Near Fairport a 15 minutes bike ride will get you to the town’s fireworks display on the 4th and a few nice small town activities Town of Penfield
Enjoy.

That's actually today, fireworks, parade and all. I see the floats in transit to the staging area this morning.

Fairport actually has a parade on Wednesday the 4th, which goes right over the lift bridge on the canal, and ends at the park to the west, a short bike ride (short walk, actually) from the Fairport docks.

http://www.fairportperintonchamber.org/?q=event/july-4th-2018-parade-party-park

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input and suggestions! The trip was an awesome experience and my son enjoyed it ... except for that heat wave the first several days!

We found that it was easy to get from Seneca Falls to Newark the first day, and a beautiful cruise through the refuge. Lots of wildlife.

We then went on to Fairport which was a shorter day. Fairport was a great town to explore.

On the way back we stopped in Lyons, and then Lyons to Seneca Falls was an easy trip. We also explored out to Geneva which enjoying a festival in Seneca Falls the last day.

What a beautiful area to live and cruise ... and I’ll be back!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom