Tolly versus Ocean Alexander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boydster

Vessel Name
Change of Heart
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
We currently have a 1973 Grand Banks 42 and have been internet shopping for our next boat. Originally I was looking at Tollys and nothing else, but that was until I stepped aboard a fellow club member's new (to him) Ocean Alexander 44.* Whatever I buy will be in the*1988 to 1990 range as thats what my budget will allow and both boats seem to be pretty close price-wise. I'm looking for opinions on both as to build quality, comfort, systems design, sea kindliness*and the likes and dislikes for both. I've always*had a thing for Tollys but*I have to say I was very impressed with the Alexander's interior.

*Thanks if you can assist! - Boyd

-- Edited by Boydster on Saturday 26th of November 2011 10:30:42 AM

Boydster wrote:
*I've always*had a thing for Tollys but*I have to say I was very impressed with the Alexander's interior.
*OAs are nearly famous for their interiors but I agree, Tollys are very nice boats and IMO you can't go wrong with either one. I had a 42 OA sedan that I really loved but was new to the game at that time and didn't know what I had. Both my wife and I say that the OA 42 was the best boat we ever had.

Hi Boyd*

Don't know much about OAs... except that a harbor nearby*was an OA*distributer in early to mid*2000s.* Sure are*pretty looking*and roomy.* I heard OAs were*OK except for hull thickness by yard hands, but that is simply hearsay, I never dug into one myself!*

Currently owning a Tolly, and having owned Chris Craft, Uniflite, Boston Whaler, Crestliner, Johnson Brothers,*and a Custom build; as well as having worked years*in boat yards and a*new boat builder, as well as spending time on Bertram, Huckins, Hatteras and other builders' boats*- back in the 1960s / 70s... Our 1977 Tollycraft is the best constructed hull I've experienced - she's bullet proof and her super strong*resin*stringers are foam filled beams of thick, multi fiberglass cloth layers that are completely interwoven with a hand laid hull.* Superstructure is real good also, and as you know from liking Tollys yourself they are well laid out.* Good in steep seas too, at least our twin screw 34' Tolly tri cabin is with very low center of gravity and good prow for wave entry and buoyancy return.

Ive heard rumors that soon after Mr. Tollefson sold Tollycraft there were some build-out corners cut.* So... I recommend pre company sale Tollys Because, Mr. Tolly was a nut on build quality and always refused to cut any corners!*

Good luck and enjoy your search!

Thanks Art! - I don't need any convincing about Tolly quality, I was just wondering how OA stacked up in comparison.
Can you tell me what year was Tollycraft sold? - Boyd

Thanks Mike, good read! - Boyd

Boydster wrote:
Thanks Art! - I don't need any convincing about Tolly quality, I was just wondering how OA stacked up in comparison.
Can you tell me what year was Tollycraft sold? - Boyd
Hi Boyd!

I apologize for not getting back to you till now... guess I hadnt tagged the links reminder box (I will check it this time!).* I just now happened upon your post.* I see that Mike gave you a good article to read re Tolly Corp and Mr. Tolly himself.* Below are dates for when Tollycraft boat building company founded, was first sold, hit bankruptcy, and finally went broke.

Tollycraft Corporation was founded 1936 as a wooden boat builder by Robert Merland Tollefson (better known as Tolly). In 1962 the company switched to building boats with fiberglass. Tollefson sold the company in 1987, and it was bankrupt by 1993. Although it attempted to resume operations, the company was dead by 1997.
Following is link to Tollycraft-Classified website.* Gordon and Patsy Graham are great people.* See the linked page and you will learn a bit more about Tollycraft... Gordon had been Mr. Tollys Exec Purchasing Agent for a couple decades during Tollycraft Corps heydays of boat building.* I plan to send you a PM with more regarding Mr. Tolly and Tollycraft. *
http://www.tolly-classified.com/aboutus.htmlhttp://www.tolly-classified.com/aboutus.html
Best Luck in your boat search.* Have a Great New Year!!

Thanks again Art, sorry to not reply sooner as we were in Spain for the past month. Bit of a change going from t-shirts and shorts back home to winter parkas here in PNW.*Looking forward to "kicking tires" on some boats this spring. Just before we left I did contact a local broker who had an ad in Pacific Yachting magazine for what appeared to be an amazing deal on a 44' 1990 Tolly in superb condition, unfortunately somebody scooped it before the ad was published. Apparently the low price on the boat was due to the fact that it was a gasser.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom