Hudson River / Erie Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IntoTheBlue

Vessel Name
Into The Blue
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 43
We’re leaving on a trip up the Hudson River to the Erie Canal up to Oswego as the first leg of the triangle cruise. I’m using info from the Waterway Guide and Active Captain. We love to hear from anyone who has made this first leg of the trip up the Hudson and Erie Canal, (places not to miss, places to pass by, good fuel stops, good anchorages, etc). Being basically northeast coastal cruisers, mostly traveling from New York to Maine, we’re looking forward to this his inland waterway cruise.

Thanks!

Not sure what your tastes are, but I've stopped in Phoenix a couple of times. Had a great seat for one of their music festivals. Free and friendly public dock. I sat there for a couple of days last year waiting for weather to clear on Lake Ontario and had a great time chatting with locals and doing a good clean up.

http://www.villageofphoenix-ny.gov/the-community/local-events/

Did the Great Loop last year. Went all the way across the Erie canal. IMO, the best part of the Erie canal is from Sylvan Beach west with most of my favorite parts are after Oswego canal.

Plan to buy fuel at Winter Harbor Marina in Brewerton (just past Oneida lake and before Oswego canal. Probably the cheapest fuel on your trip.

Don't know if you like to anchor out. My favorite anchorage on the Hudson river was behind the Statue of liberty. She is lit up at night and there's a view of NYC that is amazing.

My favorite stops on the Hudson were Statue of liberty, Ellis Island, and West Point Military Academy. The tours at Ellis Island and West Point far exceeded expectations.

Ted

Did the Great Loop last year. Went all the way across the Erie canal. IMO, the best part of the Erie canal is from Sylvan Beach west with most of my favorite parts are after Oswego canal.

Ted

Agreed. If you're having fun on the canal and have time for a small detour go down to Seneca Falls. It's an easy trip from the junction with the Oswego Canal.

Regarding the Hudson, a lot will depend on how fast you like to travel and how many days you have. It's great that you're using both AC and the Waterway Guide. Keep the guide open as you travel and have your companion read about the sites as you pass them - so much history. I've been up and down the river dozens of times between the upper Hudson and New York City and still feel the history every time. Keep in mind that between Manhattan and Haverstraw Bay there's lots of water as shown on your charts outside the marked channel and you can plot a much more efficient route by not feeling compelled to honor the channel. This is obviously a well-traveled shipping route and while commercial traffic will stick to the channel, it is not necessary for you in the wider parts of the river. Obviously keep a close watch for floating debris - mostly logs and other tree parts - particularly after a good rain storm.

If you're leaving from Oakdale and stopping to anchor at the statue or stay at Liberty Landing Marina (my only marina recommendation in the area of NYC) the Haverstraw/Croton area would be your next logical stop. Croton has a great anchorage in the right wind conditions which you can read about on AC. After that you might consider running to Kingston, taking time to enjoy the sites along the way. Going through World's End by West Point is something special. In Kingston, if they have space, stay at the Hudson River Maritime Museum. Not a full-service marina but good, easy access floating docks and right by the historic waterfront. Have a great meal at Ship To Shore restaurant.

If you're not in a rush, from Kingston run to Shady Harbor Marina in New Baltimore, the nicest marina on the Hudson IMO. It's an easy run, they have a good restaurant with a great bar and an exceptional view, an excellent ship's store, good fuel, great docks and service. Nothing to see or do off the property but it's a nice, relaxing spot with a pool and good people, run by real boaters. It's right on the river but boat wakes are generally not a problem. As a bonus for you, there is a resident sister-ship to yours there owned by a terrific couple. There is also a terrific anchorage known as "The Hook" due east of Shady Harbor on the east side of Houghtailing Island, but the marina's worth a visit. If you've really got lots of time and enjoy short days you can stop half way between Kingston and Shady Harbor at Catskill Marina. It's a very simple place in a beautiful setting on the protected Catskill Creek. The town of Catskill, an easy walk from the marina, has been experiencing a renaissance and is vibrant and charming. There are a few terrific restaurants in town including The New York, 394 and Hi-Lo. Plus the new Catskill Tap Room is a terrific spot if you love beer.

After Shady Harbor you can have an easy day to Waterford to stage for your entry into the Erie. Have a great trip and if you have any specific questions about any of the places I've mentioned or anything else on the Hudson please ask. I know this stretch of waterway particularly well.

Last edited:
Do a search on Hudson River Cruising Guide by Larry Zeitlin, a free pdf you can download. Really enriches the experience.

See the b
BACCUS website cruising notes... sone info for those areas.
Great cruising area. Let us know if you are interested in seeing Seneca Lake & Watkins Glen will buy refreshments.

If you are talking 1000 Is & Lk Champlain thats a great trip.
Bern there done that and sure you will enjoy it.
Don't miss Kingston Ont Antique Boat museum in Clayton... Boldt &Singer Castle... Deep Bay on Lk Champlain

Doing the Great Loop and should be starting the Erie Canal in a week or two. Very interested in the comments to this thread.

Greetings,
Anyone doing this "loop" without running the Rideau Canal is missing a major attraction IMO. Steeped in history AND a World Heritage Site, IF you're only doing this once, it's a side trip not to be missed.

Granted, depending on what your route is, it does take extra time and you may miss the 1000 Islands but having cruised this area, personally, I would take the Rideau Canal over the 1000 Islands for sheer enjoyment.

As a shorter alternative, one could pass through just a couple of lock stations,turn around and return to their original route.

11_rideau_map.jpg

A trip up to say, Smith's Falls and back could easily be done in a week and although you would miss a lot of sights, would still be worth the effort. Some consider that stretch to be the most scenic and interesting.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Anyone doing this "loop" without running the Rideau Canal is missing a major attraction IMO. Steeped in history AND a World Heritage Site, IF you're only doing this once, it's a side trip not to be missed.

Granted, depending on what your route is, it does take extra time and you may miss the 1000 Islands but having cruised this area, personally, I would take the Rideau Canal over the 1000 Islands for sheer enjoyment.

As a shorter alternative, one could pass through just a couple of lock stations,turn around and return to their original route.

11_rideau_map.jpg

A trip up to say, Smith's Falls and back could easily be done in a week and although you would miss a lot of sights, would still be worth the effort. Some consider that stretch to be the most scenic and interesting.
Indeed Rideau canal is just a must see. First time we went though we were amazed. Last year we spent 1 month on it and still have a lot remaining to discover.

L

Indeed Rideau canal is just a must see. First time we went though we were amazed. Last year we spent 1 month on it and still have a lot remaining to discover.

L
So true...
The Rideau is best when done slowly to allow time to explore along the way.
It is really unfortunate that many great loopers rush through some of the best cruising areas... IMHO... in order to meet a schedule.
I have met a few that have done extensive cruising in the area and stored their boats to return for another season.

I did the triangle loop a couple of years ago. Plan on a few months if you can. The locks in Canada are great as the people working them will help you going through. On the Rideau the locks are hand operated by mostly college kids and they will help with lines.
The Rideau is best when done slowly as there is so much to see. In Montreal we stayed at the Yacht Club Montreal. This is a great marina and they are very helpful. Here is a link to my blog.

https://trianglecruise.wordpress.com/blog/

If you want, PM me and I can give you my contact info.

Ken

Per Google search there are bareboat charters available near or in the Rideau Canal. Does anyone have any experience, knowledge or recommendations of them.

Last edited:
Our stops on the Hudson and Erie and Oswego were:

-Half Moon Bay Marina in Croton on Hudson.
-Rondout Yacht Basin in Connelly
-Waterford Harbor in Waterford
-Schenectady Yacht Club in Rexford
-St. Johnsville Municipal Marina
-Utica Marina
-Mariners Landing in Sylvan Beach
-Ess-Kay Boat Yard in Brewerton
-Oswego International Marina in Oswego

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom