Power-over-ethernet security cameras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TilJ

Vessel Name
T'n'T
Hi Folks,

For a few months now I've been researching consumer-grade power-over-ethernet security cameras for use when the boat is moored so I can keep an eye on things remotely. The boat has it's own wired and wireless network and bridges to local wifi for Internet access via a wifi extender antenna.

There's a lot of camera options out there, but I haven't found anything reviewed with a marine context. My research is finding possibly-reasonable cameras for in-cabin use, since they don't need to be near as weather resistant, but I'm having trouble finding a camera brand/model that I could use out in the cockpit or under a radar arch for checking water, weather and dock conditions while away from the boat -- I'm guessing something IPX67 weather-rated would be needed for that? For features, I'd like the ability to use cloud storage accessible from a browser or app and, ideally, pan/tilt/zoom and some degree of IR vision. Power-over-ethernet powered for reliability and simplicity of install as I already have that set up on the boat.

Has anyone done anything similar and could offer some recommendations for products I should research more deeply?

I've got a set of cameras, including some exterior. They are good quality, full HD, POE, with IR illumination. Made by Samsung, and used widely for commercial use. Sounds great, right? Yes, all except the price. As I recall they are around $700 each.

There are tons of very inexpensive security camera multi-packs from pick your favorite no-name vendors. Lots of people have been successful with them. I tried one multi pack from Ubiquity and it was utter crap. And of course Ubiquity has zero support. Absolutely none. Phones not answered, emails not answered. If you can't find the solution on their wed site, you are on your own. It was super inexpensive, but a total waste of my time, so I returned it and bought quality stuff.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh?

200.gif

I have been using the Blink camera system for two years. They have excellent video, still, and good sound quality.

Disclosure, I work in engineering for a camera manufacture - Avigilon. Not in sales and not trying to sell you them though.

As already mentioned commercial cameras have many nice features. I'd recommend stepping up to more commercial cameras too. Not sure what your budget is but you can keep cost down by considering used or refurbished. You should be able to find something nice in the 100-200 range. For my personal use I've found some good used ones online at B&H Photo and often see nice older commercial models on ebay that look like great deals. There's plenty of good commercial camera names that would work: Sony, Samsung, Hikvision (*be sure to upgrade the firmware!), Pelco, Arecont, Panasonic, Axis (some good some cheap) plus others and of course I do like Avigilon cameras best :)

In addition to the features you mentioned you might want to look for ONVIF compliant too. It may make life a bit easier when you go to hook up to your choice of recorder (DVR).

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh?

Hi RT,

Yeah, I should probably write something up for there one of these days. I've been an unregistered lurker for a couple of years as I research various projects so I don't feel "new" even though I technically am :blush:

Gees, somewhat surprised nobody mentioned Hikvision's cameras. I am going to install a system for my home this spring and am leaning toward both Hikvision cameras and one of their NVRs with POE. Hikvision is the world's largest manufacturer/supplier of security cameras.

EDIT: Whoops-- TheoWjr did mention Hikvision

Last edited:
I have been using the Blink camera system for two years. They have excellent video, still, and good sound quality.

Yup...Have this at the house and will likely put a set-up on the boat in the spring. Cheap and versatile.

I have 8 hikvision 4MP cameras all going to a hikvision nvr. About a year in and no issues. Careful on your network design, they use a ton of bandwidth, I’d recommend a single Poe switch for them with a 1g uplink to your current network.

I have 8 hikvision 4MP cameras all going to a hikvision nvr. About a year in and no issues. Careful on your network design, they use a ton of bandwidth, I’d recommend a single Poe switch for them with a 1g uplink to your current network.

Question- You mentioned bandwidth consumption. Is that bandwidth basically just related to the nvr? Also I thought selecting an NVR that has POE switch capability would eliminate a separate switch. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I did a separate switch because I could easily eliminate the power supply on the NVR and go pure 12v, it has a second 52v power supply for the Poe I wasn’t sure how resilient it would be to voltage fluctuations.
I use the TPLink POE switches in several places on the boat with a 12v to 48v converter.

The bandwidth is between each camera and the NVR. One other reason I don’t use the nvr ports is it’s harder to easily use computers/devices to access each camera separately so the nvr is a single pof.

Hey Guys, Good stuff on the camera posts. I have a MS400 and want a 'back-up' camera with a wide angle lens, since I have a tight slip side tie and hate to sink the Grand Banks behind me. Can anyone share their experiences with CCTV using either the Video Input on the Raymarine Display, or, a dedicated smaller LCD display? And whether they are hard wired or wireless? Thanks for your time! CaptainRon

I’ve had great luck with a small monitor I bought on amazon using the vga out from my NVR.
I’d highly recommend all wired, especially for a backup camera.

Attachments

• 3D3C5F95-F48D-4791-A621-ED695373DA8D.jpg
    3D3C5F95-F48D-4791-A621-ED695373DA8D.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 66
Arthur,

Thanks for your prompt reply and information. Point of clarification:
What are you referring to by the letters NVR??
I am not an electrician, but have basic knowledge of electricity.

Thanks for your help.

Captain Ron

Hi Ron,
Network Video Recorder. It’s what picks up my camera signals and displays/records.

Arthur,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Now I learned something new !!
BTW, my son is named Arthur and would be ashamed of 'Old Dad' not knowing what N.V.R. is since he is a Journeyman Electrician !!!!

Have a good evening,
Captain Ron

Back
Top Bottom