Cleaning stained toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it has the same sterilizing effect on e coli as non stabilized forms
Not as fast but it lasts in the product longer which is better in my books
We don't have much chance of e coli contamination in this facility in Canada

We also keep our boat in Little River SC, and as the OP said, the water is brackish and tea coloured. Our previous boat had the capability of using either "sea" water or fresh water to flush. We used sea water until we found that the salt was creating problems in the hoses and holding tank. Yes, it stained the toilet bowl too, but that was the least of the problems. We "solved" the problem by switching exclusively to fresh water.

Our present boat has no capability of using sea water to flush.

Clean toilet bowls and kills holding tank smells instantly

We keep our boat on the Little River near the SC/NC line.
Here the ICW water is tea-colored due to the up stream vegetation.
This water leaves a brownish stain in the bowls.
Any safe way to clean these!
Thanks as always!
Capt. Sea Fever

Look for Zaal toilet bowl cleaner on the internet. Not only does it work, but it cleans the calcium build up in the pipes. If you cant find any locally let me know and I can send some down from Canada. Hopefully they will not think I am smuggling shoes!! :dance:
Also for holding tank smells use NOFLEX (also from Zaal). It works and kills smells in seconds then liquefies everything in the tank. Leave it over night and what was in your tank turns to almost clear water by morning. Its the bottom sludge that never gets pumped out that smells, plus if you have a level indicator that has stopped working it will probably fix that too.
Every product they do is environmentally friendly

I used some NOFLEX the other day and was surprised at how white the toilet bowl got that I used it again with more water and a brush. Cleanest head ever!!!!

If you like replacing joker valves don’t you? If I am right then keep pouring that bleach and keep running it through your system. True, bleach will clean up your toilets but there are side effects.

Last edited:
it has the same sterilizing effect on e coli as non stabilized forms
Not as fast but it lasts in the product longer which is better in my books
We don't have much chance of e coli contamination in this facility in Canada

Thanks Sea Q. Sounds like a better option than TDX. I presume you use it industrially, but is there a consumer product, or just bulk?

Delfin, you like replacing joker valves don’t you? If I am right then keep pouring that bleach and keep running it through your system. True, bleach will clean up your toilets but there are side effects.

Since I don't use bleach, as usual, your post makes zero sense.

Delfin I misread your OP, then changed my post within 15 min or so. Bad grammar on #15 true, but still true, bleach ruins joker valves. Your name was removed.. Soo sensitive....

Thanks Sea Q. Sounds like a better option than TDX. I presume you use it industrially, but is there a consumer product, or just bulk?

We manufacture hand and dish soaps for a bunch of grocery chains about a million liters a month
Being doing it for about 35 years

Simple Cleaner- Vinegar

Hi- We're on the Ashley River in SC and have that same crappy (LOL) brown water! We use plain old vinegar once per week and a bowl brush to get rid of brown stains.
Was also told by a fellow yachty that it helps eliminate the "boat smells" from your holding tank. We're 12 years aboard and have no odors.
Good luck!

I found out that spray nine is cleaning about everything. I just did a full cleanup of my boat head with it, nice and clean.

L

I have not used Spray 9 in a head, but may try it tomorrow. I have used it on some stains on my Kiwigripped decks and it worked great.

Wifey B: I know me on cleaning is a shock but....Coca Cola is great for it. I read it once and thought that was silly but tried it and darn if it doesn't work. :lol:

imagine if you drink it... :)

My favorite ad ever - janitor in a lab saw a spray bottle with 410 written on the spray bottle - he sprayed it and blew a hole in the wall. Serious voice comes over and says 'the world is not ready for Formula 410, so stick with 409!'

NOTHING works better than NoFlex for keep your holding tank from smelling (works in seconds) and for the brown bowl, use Zaal Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Leave it over night around the bowl and you will have a new looking toilet in the morning without side effects. Vinegar was fine until better things came along and people realized that the rubber bits in the system started to go hard and brittle (like Joker valves)

I googled Zaal Toilet Bowl Cleaner and the only place I saw that sells it is Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I got some Noflex from Amazon, wonder why Amazon doesn’t sell the toilet bowl cleaner. I hate to pay $8 to $10 in shipping on a $9 bottle of cleaner. With Amazon Prime I pay no shipping.

I've read Peggy's posts here twice looking for some semblance of hostility or condescending attitude. I've failed to find it.
.....Although I'm 73, I can clearly remember that many of my teachers and college professors WERE NOT PC - obviously they never read Lord Chesterfield.
Quite frankly, I find his quote appropriate for the aristocracy of the time, but not applicable to modern day discourse.
Lets not forget that when Lord Chesterfield was postulating, women had no rights whatsoever - but were totally subservient. Witness Henry VIII.
Agree with you on Peggie, ever helpful imo.
As to Lord Chesterfield, less sure, but he came up with a great sofa design.

I googled Zaal Toilet Bowl Cleaner and the only place I saw that sells it is Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I got some Noflex from Amazon, wonder why Amazon doesn’t sell the toilet bowl cleaner. I hate to pay $8 to $10 in shipping on a $9 bottle of cleaner. With Amazon Prime I pay no shipping.

Prime USA coming soon for the Zaal Products
But the TBC can be found https://www.boatersmate.com

All this on cleaning toilets?
What ever happened to the Yachty element of our forum.

All this on cleaning toilets?
What ever happened to the Yachty element of our forum.

I have found using my fuel stick I can stir, mix and crush hard lumps and force them down the bowl, like happens when someone is constipated.
Some people produce stuff like clay mud.
Boat head has a small opening and can get stuck. It is a poor design the common boat head, not keeping up with the times, new home toilets have 3 and 4 inch openings.

Just have to rinse off the fuel stick after your done, believe me this is better than having a head full of water and crap that wont go down. Having a macerator wont do any good if the sh*t cant get to it, and sometimes not even then. Much better than sucking it out with a wet vac or waiting maybe days for it to dissolve.

Holy cow dude you get right into it.
I meant my post as a joke.
You too I’m quite sure.

Peggie, have you ever gone back and re-read your approach to a conversation, and thought about dialing it back a notch or two?...

Peggie is straightforward but always polite and appropriate. She doesn’t dance around the topic, she just says what needs said. She is one of the most helpful and accurate posters on this forum, and one of the more valuable contributors IMO.

Peggie posts when appropriate and doesn’t feel the need to jump into every conversation. This forum would be a better place if we all followed that guideline.

She does a great job injecting sanity and accuracy into some of these threads that are otherwise rife with misinformation that takes a life of its own. She is too polite to respond directly to the criticism, but the comment was IMO inaccurate and unwarranted.

Now back to stain removal...

I have found using my fuel stick I can stir, mix and crush hard lumps and force them down the bowl, like happens when someone is constipated.

Solid waste is 75 water and therefore dissolves fairly quickly in water. Try adding water to the bowl ahead of solids, then closing the lid to let the contents soak for 15-20 minutes before flushing. If your toilet is not one that's designed to bring in water and hold it, use a cup from the sink. And btw, always adding water to the bowl ahead of solids keeps the bowl cleaner and requires less flushing.

As for the cause of your problem, it's your diet...'cuz what goes into the body determines what comes out and how easily it does. Replace processed foods (anything that's already prepared) with more fresh high fiber foods...mainly fresh vegetables----try roasting or grilling veggies if you don't like 'em steamed...rice instead of pasta, broccoli, ...green leafy vegetable, drink a LOT more water with or without booze in it. Cut way back on the mac and cheese, and heavy casseroles...and take fiber supplement. Do some research to learn more.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Solid waste is 75 water and therefore dissolves fairly quickly in water. Try adding water to the bowl ahead of solids, then closing the lid to let the contents soak for 15-20 minutes before flushing. If your toilet is not one that's designed to bring in water and hold it, use a cup from the sink. And btw, always adding water to the bowl ahead of solids keeps the bowl cleaner and requires less flushing.

As for the cause of your problem, it's your diet...'cuz what goes into the body determines what comes out and how easily it does. Replace processed foods (anything that's already prepared) with more fresh high fiber foods...mainly fresh vegetables----try roasting or grilling veggies if you don't like 'em steamed...rice instead of pasta, broccoli, ...green leafy vegetable, drink a LOT more water with or without booze in it. Cut way back on the mac and cheese, and heavy casseroles...and take fiber supplement. Do some research to learn more.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Also people with metabolic problems and diabetes and people on serious pain meds like morphenes, can have seriously hard stools, I mean like rocks, nor related to what they eat. .

Last edited:
Also people with metabolic problems and diabetes and people on serious pain meds like morphenes, can have seriously hard stools, I mean like rocks, nor related to what they eat. .

Making diet and especially water even more important.

--Peggie

Sick people, or people on some drugs, their intestines slow down. When I was burned and in hospital, and afterwards, while on morphine, I hated that pill. It caused me to be extremely constipated, and you talk to doctors and they agree, and tell you the reason, it involves the muscles in your intestines. they tell you to eat lots of fiber and drink more liquid, maybe this helps, but did not help me, not until I stopped taking those awful morphine pills. I still have some I think, but they were the worst drug they gave me for negative affects. First hours at hospital a nurse gave me morphine shot, I threw up n seconds. the drugs they gave me which actually were good for pain, shots of Fentanyl and I also had oxycodone mixed with something in an IV drip which was deliverable by me pushing a button.
That button also kept track of how often it was pushed, and I was pushing it 600 times in an hour according to the nurses. I remember looking at how much was left, and was very concerned it would run out, cause when it did the pain was bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom