Buying options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
This is particularly directed toward the newbies who are in the market to buy and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before BUT I really think it bears repeating...

So, ya wanna buy a boat. You've read this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html
and you scan all the usual internet sources (Yachtworld, Craig's list, Boat for Sale etc.) on a daily, perhaps hourly basis and can't quite seem to find what you're looking for.

You've gone to boat shows and perhaps gone to see a few interesting vessels. BUT, when you're at a marina, have you talked to any owners on the docks? Have you asked them or the marina owner if they know of anyone who is thinking of selling? Maybe that slightly neglected boat that the owner seldom visits? Can you get a contact number for that person?

I've heard of several boats that never make it to the market because someone hears about someone just thinking of selling...

I've noticed recently that there are a few members who have said they're looking and out of the blue, a first poster says..."I'm thinking of selling".

Just a few random thoughts. Perhaps worth adding to the boat search 101 thread...Perhaps not...

Absolutely a great idea.

I am a member of a yacht club here. And the running joke at our meetings when we have newbies, or presenters, who says something like "I would like a boat.."

The resounding response from many of the members is "you want to buy one, let's talk!"

This isn't just people who want to sell their boat and get out of boating, but many who are ready to change boats, but are thinking in a year or two. If the right buyer comes along, I am sure many would accelerate their plans.

Right I am giving notice now. If anyone wants Sonas around 2028, delivered in the Seattle area, let's talk! :)

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. m. Thank you very much. My "meds" may be working today...and of course you are correct. EVERY boat is for sale but it never hurts to ask about that apparent "orphan"over on dock "C".

I think a huge part of the equation is location. IMHO it's so hard to compare a boat that's for sale in Cape Cod and the buyer/poster is from the Gulf Coast. Or a LOTO guy(Lake of the Ozarks) looking at boats in Southern California. I feel like there's easily 5 or 6 distinct (and drastically different!) boating areas in the lower 48 of USA. And then within those vectors there are SO many varying characteristics...Huge weather differences ,tides, seas, marinas, geography/topography, etc., etc,... It's a tall order! I won't even attempt to comment on the rest of the world..... LMAO

I agree with the comment about talking to folks at marinas, YC's etc. That's very key info! First hand, no nonsense and truthful (hopefully!) info. There's only so much info you can garner from Youtube reviews (if your boat even has a video online!! Many trawlers are not), Boat Test dot com (same applies) and YW. I love YachtWorld browsing as much as the next guy (cmon, admit it....) but I've found many inconsistencies and downright misinformation on there.

Last edited:
It's hard to catch the ear of boat owners at the marina because they are rarely there. Could do detective work to locate owners. If like in California (at least in Solano County) where berthers at municipal marinas pay property tax for the berth, investigation of county tax records might help. (USCG public listings of documented boats list owner names but no longer their addresses.)

I think RT was suggesting talking to other marina dwellers rather than the actual owners - especially because, as you stated, the owners of unused or neglected boats may never be around.

Check with the marina office for those who are interested in selling or seem to have lost interest in their boat.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Yes. I was suggesting talking to anyone you happen to see while visiting marinas including the marina operators AND any marina staff that happen to be around. Leave your name and contact information with the marina office, perhaps with a bit of a donation to their "beer fund" as well IF you see a vessel you're particularly interested in. The staff/owners may be reluctant to give out names and numbers but they may remember you while enjoying that "cold one". Don't be afraid to follow up with a phone call to the marina.

I re-read my post and it might have been a bit vague-thanks for clarifying.

In the Puget Sound area, it is very hard to "walk the dock". Most of the marina's here require a pass key. Only the transit docks are open.

Greetings,
Mr. mr. VERY good point. I'd forgotten about that aspect of searching BUT I think it would still be of some advantage to chat up the employees/owner. Perhaps after a chat they might allow access. Maybe not.

I've heard of several boats that never make it to the market because someone hears about someone just thinking of selling...

Happened to me...A broker I was working with knew of my desires, and also knew of a boat. He tracked the owner down via the registration, and lo and behold he was just getting ready to list it. We did the deal before it ever hit Yachtworld....

With KK42’s, many never reach listing with a broker. Mine was sold privately and I’m aware of 3 other sales in the PNW of late models that also sold that way. So if walking the docks and marinas is useful, it’s also a good idea to get to gatherings or reunions of the manufacturer in question. That’s a good way to see several sister ships of the make in question and learn about the upgraded vessels that might be available down the line.

Jim

I suspect that part of the gist is that there are many owners who have contemplated selling but have not gotten around to doing it. We have been talking about selling our house for 4 years, but aren't really taking action. If someone in a social setting said "We're interested in buying a house like yours (or, in your area)" we would be immediately interested in talking with them.

You know the folks on your dock and know whether someone might be open to discussion or not. the old "They never use the boat anymore, I would bet if you approached him, he'd be willing to discuss it. Let call him for you and see if he's interested in trading phone numbers".

I think every boat owner has a 'price' for their boat.

I just told a friend about a neglected 40 ft Ocean Alexander on our dock that has been for sale for at least 5 years. The owner made his sign out of plywood. That usually means they’re not in a big hurry to sale. The owner is an older guy and loved for people to call him a talk about his boat . He had offers but always turned them down , but this time I think they’ve made a deal. It’s going to survey tomorrow.

A few years ago I told a realtor friend of mine that I would be willing to sell my house if she ever got a live one. Fast forward, given 15 minutes to pick up, house sold, cash.

It does happen. Everything is for sale, the only question is the price.

RT great thoughts and ideas really your always on spot but wow when your meds are right BAM

That is exactly the position I'm in. Wanna be boater, reading, looking, admiring from the land. So many marinas have signs 'for owners and guests only', and I am a rule follower, don't want to intrude on other's privacy. Do I ignore, ask the dockmaster, other?

Sure, ask the dock master. He might have to unlock the gate and direct you to the 'for sale' and 'thinking of selling' boats

Greetings,
Mr. 228. Welcome aboard. I second what Mr. OD said. Can't hurt AND you develop a "relationship" with the owner. One VERY good way to find "the" boat is networking. Make yourself known and make sure they remember you. Leave your name and contact # or put a notice up on their bulletin board. Maybe buy some small trinket at their chandlery if they have one. Wear distinctive clothing...Just throwin' ideas out there.

200.gif

Well, maybe not the last suggestion...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom