Flybridge Spray Shield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truant2

Vessel Name
Kava Kava
Vessel Make
Sealine 420 Statesman
Need to replace old crazed and cracked spray shield on a 1997 Sealine Statesman 420. Looking for someone in Mid Atlantic/NJ area who can fabricate a new one. Thanks.

I used a plastic shop when I did mine. Took it to them and they matched it.

I had mine done at a glass shop. They were happy for the challenge in heat bending the lexan to the correct shape and did a great job.

Standard "Lexan" (polycarbonate) is not UV stable and will crack and craze in a years time outside.

Acrylic is the best material for windscreens. It can also be purchased in colors. Acrylic is not as strong as Lexan though. Always chamfer your holes and allow for thermal expansion between fasteners.

Lexan is a polycarbonate - plexiglass is acrylic. Both can be shaped with a heat gun. Lexan is stronger than acrylic but scratches quicker.

Standard "Lexan" (polycarbonate) is not UV stable and will crack and craze in a years time outside.

Acrylic is the best material for windscreens. It can also be purchased in colors. Acrylic is not as strong as Lexan though. Always chamfer your holes and allow for thermal expansion between fasteners.

Up here where the sun only shines 5 days a year it is the material of choice. Mine is now at least 20 yrs in and looks great.
The original on many 70s and 80s trawlers turned blue or purple within a few years. Mine was 14 yrs old when I bought the boat and I broke a piece of it by dropping the bimini frame onto it. That is when I found out that it had been "bronze" colour when new. My now sr. aged lexan is still "bronze" and clear. The only crazing is very slight, and right along the edges. It has many years left in it.

I have always called it a venturi... but hey, what’s in a name. Anyway, here is what We did on our last boat. Ours was all flat pieces, so it did make it much easier. Seek out a waterjet company in your area. Not only for this project, but I have used ours for lots of fabrication when precision or complexity makes it a better choice.

Below is the link to the thread of our project. I hope it helps.

Weekend Venturi Project
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10971

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom