Insurance question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I had a "runaway" on my 4-154 engine. It may have damaged the engine. Not sure yet ....BUT do you think this would be covered under my insurance policy. It was not neglect, wear and tear or anything I did. It just "took off" while idling at 1200 rpm. It has ran perfectly for the past 10 years. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Make a claim, you may get lucky. In general insurance covers something that happens suddenly, not ordinary wear and tear. So it might be covered.

David

I doubt you would have any coverage. Check your policy and you will likely find an "exclusion" for mechanical failure or perhaps wear & tear. Insurers do not want to be paying for engine rebuilds.

What you need to look for is two very specific things.

First, you need to have someone determine the exact cause of the issue. What you are looking for is a defect that was shipped with the engine. It can’t be something that wore out. A part that was cast poorly and failed early for example. This is what we call a latent defect.

Second is to now cruise your policy. Many yacht policies do have coverage for the consequential damages of latent defects. Read carefully. Many policies will have language in the exclusions section that reads n a negative tone such as “latent defects are not excluded”, followed by a brief note “...however consequential damage is allowed...blah blah blah”. Sounds like they are telling you something negative, but it’s just the opposite. Let’s say you have $8K worth of engine rebuild because of that $50 part that failed.

I have had insurance agents forcefully tell me that did not have latent defect coverage, flossing over and ignoring the 99% that would be covered. They do this in bad faith, and on purpose. Ask about latent defect clauses, but focus on what IS covered, not the latent defect itself.

This is one of those things that many policy holders and agents won’t tell you about. Get a hold of your actual policy and READ IT. Carefully. Best thing you will ever do.

Lucky after rumaway with Perkins 4-154

After a day I removed the injectors and was able to turn over the engine from the flywheel. Put injectores back and was able to successfully start the engine, so thank goodness wont need to try the insurance. All running well now but I dont know why it happened and will it happen again. Only time will tell. Thanks everyone for responses and interest. Good and happy boating.

Out of curiosity....how did you stop it?

Run away insurance

Asked-- How did I stop it..... By the time I ran down from the upper deck, moved the couch and opened the engine room hatch, It stopped itself!

Honestly this would freak me out. I’m good at doing my own maintenance, but I would for sure have a professional look at it.

Asked-- How did I stop it..... By the time I ran down from the upper deck, moved the couch and opened the engine room hatch, It stopped itself!

Ugg!! That is what I was afraid of. I would have to move the coffee table, a sleep sofa, then start pulling deck hatches. Never mind finding something to smoother the air intake.

Some folks had suggested shutting off the fuel, but my understanding is the runaway is the result of fuel feeding from an unidentified or unexpected source. This might mean closing both fuel fills and returns Two different sides of the engine since my shutoffs are on the tank and not a manifold).

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom