Rude boaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Rude boaters, or did I have a bad day?

Took Southerly to anchor out in a local inlet yesterday. She is pretty big, 44 OAL., semi displacement so she is stable. However, there was some boat traffic, I would say light. Boats around 30-32 feet were the worst. No one called on the radio to pass. Don’t get me wrong, all boats pass me except sail boats and it’s usually fine. Yesterday they were passing me on port about 5 feet away doing 20 knots or so. I was already having a bad day. Got to the inlet which is an hour and a half cruise, 8 knots ya know. Anchored, went to shut her down and nope, she wouldn’t shut down. Damn. Called my diesel mechanic on father’s day to see if I could somehow shut her down. He tells me it’s probably a bad selinoid. Damn. Stayed with engine running for about 2 hours. That’s not all. Turn the windlass on and it was working fine, then it would no longer pull the anchor up. It was like the anchor was stuck under a rock. Damn. After another hour of trying to reposition her, she finally came free. Yay! The windlass went back to work.

Btw, on inspection of the engine room back at her slip, I must have kicked the wire when I had been down there a few days earlier. Reconnected the wire and shut her down.

So, did I encounter rude boaters? Or was I just having a bad day?

I was anchored down at Matanzas Inlet yesterday and there was this rude boater anchored nearby who just kept his main engine running all afternoon.

Totally ruined my nap!

:)

I was anchored down at Matanzas Inlet yesterday and there was this rude boater anchored nearby who just kept his main engine running all afternoon.

Totally ruined my nap!

Omg that is so funny! Thanks for the comic relief!

You weren’t there but I wish you were!

Next time cover the air intake filter and it will shutdown immediately.

L

Next time cover the air intake filter and it will shutdown immediately.

L

Yes, I actually googled it before I called my mechanic. I did not want to shut down in the inlet.

Shut off the fuel to stop the engine. ... Hope next voyage isn't so stressful.

Yes, I actually googled it before I called my mechanic. I did not want to shut down in the inlet.

I'm confused. Thought you complained you weren't able to turn off the engine(s).

Problem is, since she kicked loose "a wire" wold she have been able to start it again!

Totally ruined my nap!

Waah, waah. That boater just wanted to contribute to global warming for your chagrin or needed to charge his batteries. We have similar experiences in the marina, but aren't annoyed.

Re: Post #'s 2 & 9...

200w.gif

Sounds like a typical day. Those other boaters have no clue why you stopped where you did unless it is a popular anchorage. To them you are just another obstacle to steer around like a car on the shoulder of a highway. I hear the same from fishermen that can't understand why a cruising boat will run right through their chum slicks or a fishing fleet.:facepalm:

Waah, waah. That boater just wanted to contribute to global warming for your chagrin or needed to charge his batteries. We have similar experiences in the marina, but aren't annoyed.

Wow!

In parts of NW Canada the game is to cut across the bow of a U.S. boat. Well until they realize how big my wake is, then I get the bird! I just smile and wave...

Just follow the rules of the road and be courteous! That's it!

Passing you 5 feet away at 20 knots, yes you encountered some rude boaters. As in all walks of life there are rude boaties these days who think of no one but themselves. A complete lack of respect for other people.

Loved Menzies reply.

Is it a requirement there to radio and say you are passing?
Is it even a requirement to have a radio on?

The trick to happy boating is to avoid boating on weekends.

Works for us. Different experience on weekdays!

John P

"then it would no longer pull the anchor up. It was like the anchor was stuck under a rock. then it would no longer pull the anchor up. It was like the anchor was stuck under a rock."

The technique for an anchor that doesn't break loose , or is stuck is to tie off the line (so the windlass is relieved of the load) and use the vessel to pull it loose.

Donna, It sounds like your fuel solenoid is a fail open type, so without power it would start. It requires power to shut. You may have knocked off the wire at any time since you last shut it down.

The problems of boaters certainly vary depending on where you are. I can't imagine the traffic conditions in the waters many of you guys (and gals) operate in.

You all would probably have to sit at the helm, rather than wandering around the boat and scanning the horizon once in a while. No wonder you all have flashy helm chairs.

Is it a requirement there to radio and say you are passing?
Is it even a requirement to have a radio on?

The requirement is to arrange passing....sound signal or radio.

No requirement for radios for these type vessels.

Like using a turn signal in city traffic...an often ignored rule.....and it is so busy on the waterways, it is ignored by enforcement vessels too in many but not all circumstances.

Donna, It sounds like your fuel solenoid is a fail open type, so without power it would start. It requires power to shut. You may have knocked off the wire at any time since you last shut it down.

The problems of boaters certainly vary depending on where you are. I can't imagine the traffic conditions in the waters many of you guys (and gals) operate in.

You all would probably have to sit at the helm, rather than wandering around the boat and scanning the horizon once in a while. No wonder you all have flashy helm chairs.

The only time I can leave the helm is if I’m on auto pilot in the middle of the ocean.

A lot of good response here. I do try and avoid weekends however, my daughters work m-f.

It’s not a requirement to have a radio. Just smart.

Totally ruined my nap!

Good one Menzie! No shortage of small boats at Matanzas inlet on a weekend afternoon.
Glad it all worked out for you, Donna!

Sailor, are you at St. Aug. municipal marina?

We were halfway between Naples and Key West, 30 miles from land in any direction, when a sea ray dealers guided cruise of ten boats passed us close throwing wakes. One after the other like ducks in a row there were maybe 50' away. This is how rude people learn to be idiots.

Our radio was on but no call. Passing close was completely unnecessary on open water and the dealer set a bad example for his customers.

Last edited:
I gave up getting frustrated a while ago. I practically got carpal tunnel in the middle finger of my left hand from the frequency of use. Sounding the horn doesn't help either. Nothing will change their behavior. It then occurred to me that my frustration levels only served to adversely impact me and nobody else.

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on.

......give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,

I gave up getting frustrated a while ago. I practically got carpal tunnel in the middle finger of my left hand from the frequency of use. Sounding the horn doesn't help either. Nothing will change their behavior. It then occurred to me that my frustration levels only served to adversely impact me and nobody else.

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on.

......give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,

You are completely right. I was just having a bad day. If ever I should pass you, obviously you would have to be stopped, lol, I’ll shout out on the radio!

I was once running from Mangrove Cay to Spanish in the Bahamas. That is wide open water. Two "yachts"in the 80-90 foot range following each other going full blast came right at me, obviously running the waypoint track. I thought, that's OK they will pass port to port and I'll handle it. Well the first one went to the left across my bow about 100 feet away as passed along the starboard side. I grabbed the radio and said "yacht running towards Mangrove please give me a port to port pass!" The second boat veered to his right and went down my port side.

I just stood there shaking my head.

Back
Top Bottom