Work is getting in the way of boating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlamb15

Veteran Member
Just a rant.......wishing I was on the boat......anyone spending the holidays aboard? Does anyone celebrate the "bell" tradation for new years eve?

Being a live-aboard, I spend most of the holidays on the boat. However, I will be letting Carnival pilot at Christmas. What bell tradition for NYE?

Bell ringing, the oldest person onboard rings ships bell 12'x ending the new year at midnight and youngest rings it in....just wondering

Hadn't heard that one*before... how many times does the youngest ring it in? Might have to add that to the traditions. It's also a polite way to ask all the women their ages.
wink.gif

Sounds like a great tradition except for the asking the ladies part. Could end the year on a very sour note!

Don't have a bell.* No longer required on my-size boat.* But have horns.

Attachments

• com jones point anchor.jpg
    com jones point anchor.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 83
jlamb15 wrote:
Bell ringing, the oldest person onboard rings ships bell 12'x ending the new year at midnight and youngest rings it in....just wondering
Never heard of that one.* We will be aboard for NYE--taking a three day trip with three other couples on their boats.* We are hosting NYE dinner on our boat, though one of the other couples is providing the main dish, PRIME RIB.* Yummy.* if we make it until midnight maybe we will try some bell ringing.* Not sure about asking everyone how old they are, LOL.* We know generally but not exactly.
wink.gif

Who (forty feet and more), at anchor in fog, do you assign to ring*the bell every minute for at least five seconds, particularly all night long?

Jennifer,
Where do you guys cruise to for NYE? We are in the Delta?

jlamb15 wrote:
wait theres a "size" requirement for a bell?
Vessels 20 meters (66ft) or more are required to carry a bell and a whistle.*

Vessles 100 meters or more must carry a bell, a whistle, and a gong.*** KJ

Quack, quack, and happy to be under 12 meters.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 12:27:11 AM

Attachments

• duckies.jpg
    duckies.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 92
Without looking, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I remember it being a 7 1/4" bell above 40 feet and 5" bell under 40? All according to the old rules of course, new ones don't have the same requirement. I do have a copy of the rules aboard as required and a written garbage plan, and the oil plaque. Also required for over 40 feet as I recall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom