Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Always wanted a paper book in my hand. But having enough for extended cruises was becoming a pain, so I got myself a Kindle today.

Just bought Edward Rutherford's The Forest. Really enjoyed his Sarum, Russka, New York, London, and Dublin.

So what else should I get for a good book read. I like historical novels, with plenty of facts woven in.

Many options. My go-to recommendation is the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O’brian. With 21 volumes, lots of material there. Another one that is a truly exceptional work of fiction set in the past is Neil Stephenson’s “The Baroque Cycle”. It is a series of eight books that was originally published in 3 volumes but now can be had as eight separate books. FWIW, anything by Neil Stephenson is worth reading.

There are also a bunch of “popular” history books that are fantastic. “Longitude”, “The Name of the Wind”, “The Professor and the Madman”, “Miracle in Philadelphia”, “River of Doubt”, “The Incredible Great White Fleet” are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote