Another battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
We have a battery bank with 4 12 volt batteries. One of the batteries is going bad. We will soon be converting to a 6 volt golf cart bank. Until we do is it acceptable to replace the one bad 12 volt with another 12 volt battery without replacing the whole bank?

Thanks
Gordo

Gordon, for now I’d just pull the one 12V battery and leave it at that unless you can find a similar used battery around. Putting a new battery in will just send good money after bad. When will you install the gold cart batteries?

One never knows how abused a used battery is. What you purchase may be no better than the one you replace.

If the OP’s battery load is such that without a replacement battery, the remaining capacity could be insufficient to support his electrical load demand.

Unless you have a 24v system, why not just remove the bad 12v battery and go with the 3 remaining batteries until to replace the bank? If the one battery really is bad, it isn’t adding much to your AmpHours.

I would replace said battery with a new battery, HOWEVER I'd separate it as a second bank. Then I would set the Perko switch to Both. I have done this and for me it works.

That said, I do check my batteries on the 1st of each month. I use Lead Acid, inexpensive Walmart batts aboard Seaweed.

I had the same problem with my daughters golf cart. Got a nice used battery (no guarantees) from a golf cart maintenance company. I think it was 25$.

Back
Top Bottom