Side-Power SE30 Lower Leg Leaks Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recray

Vessel Name
North Star
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R27
I replaced the lower leg of a Side-Power SE30 bow thruster on a Ranger Tug R27 due to leaking oil. Installed a new lower leg unit yesterday and it also is leaking oil. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and if so what was your course of corrective action? Imtra has the original lower leg unit for warranty evaluation. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and tell them about the new one leaking oil. Any ideas, comments, or recommendations appreciated. Thanks. Ray

Silly question, how do you know it's leaking?

Ted

Good question. If the picture came, you could see the old oil leak and the fresh oil leak from the new lower leg. Let me know if the pic car through. Thanks

No pic. I have a Side Power thruster. Is it leaking at the propeller shaft or the input shaft?

Ted

Do you have to make a certain number of posts before you can upload photos?

Photos

Not sure. I don’t all there is to know about downloading pics on the forum.

Bow thruster oil leak

No pic. I have a Side Power thruster. Is it leaking at the propeller shaft or the input shaft?

Ted

If you like, I could email pics to you until I can figure out how to send pics on this forum. rgmonfore@gmail.com

Attachments

• C024D8B1-FDF8-4B28-AE8C-468BBDF42903.jpg
    C024D8B1-FDF8-4B28-AE8C-468BBDF42903.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 06EF9CF2-FDFD-4E1F-A522-0BD555EF97C1.jpg
    06EF9CF2-FDFD-4E1F-A522-0BD555EF97C1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 51
Thread moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "Other Trawler Systems"

Does it leak oil justing sitting or does it leak after running? Is there a reservoir bottle with a vent?

Ted

Thruster Oil Zlesk

It’s a static leak. The lower leg of the thruster is a sealed factory unit and goes back to the factory for service when there’s a problem.

I can't offer any further thoughts for you. Mine is plumbed to a reservoir bottle with a vent, so always at ambient pressure. For a seal like that to leak, it requires either significant differential pressure (inside and out), or enough of a seal failure for air to enter to replace the oil lost.

Please post what Side Power determines the cause is. Usually their products are of very good quality.

Ted

Imtra

Imtra has been great to work with. New lower unit on the way yesterday. I have not been able to find anyone any where with a static oil leak from the SE30 lower leg. It’s hard to believe I’m writing the book on this one. My chances of winning the Lottery are better than getting two leaking units. I’m getting pretty good at removal and installion. Will keep you posted.
Ray
ps Contact me if I don’t reply within a fair amount of time. Thanks.

How do you drain oil from the leg? My recollection from having previously owned a Sidepower bow thruster was that there was a drain plug in the lower housing to enable the oil to be drained before refilling from the reservoir. If there is no plug how do you change oil?

Side-Power

The SE30 lower leg is a factory sealed unit. Ray

Back
Top Bottom