Running A/C on Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A/C generator setup

I run a Mermaid 12,000 BTU unit on a Honda EU2000i that has been converted to run on propane. Dometic Smart is installed to help with the starts. I have installed a Relay with a delayed off setting so I can automatically turn off the ECO mode on the EU2000i before the compressor load starts. A few minutes after the A/C is running the ECO relay turn ECO mode back on and the EU2000i then runs at about 2/3 capacity. With dual 20lb tanks and automatic switch over I get 2-3 days of running before needing to change out a tank.

Easy Start

Check out EasyStart from Micro-Air, https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267
We just installed this device (on an Airstream trailer) and we can now run our 15K Dometic AC with our Honda EU2200i generator - which we've converted to run on propane. Magic!

And the installer that will be adding solar panels to my Airstream Interstate Class B will also be installing an Easy Start as part of the project. The van is equipped with a 2.5 KW propane generator and is marginal for start up, especially if there are other loads when the AC compressor starts.

Soft start with inverter

I have an 8000btu portable stand up type unit I was going to try with my magnasine 2800 watt inverter that has 1200 ah battery capacity. I can do the basic math but real life may be very different. Has anyone opened up one of these A/C units and been able to add a soft start capacitor? No idea of the LRA on this Haier unit.

If I could cool off Boat with big genset running a couple hours then shut down and just have this in master cabin for 6 hours or so I would be thrilled. Between the 17kw kubota genset and the 16k btu marineair unit it is rather loud.
Eddie and Gail
Sea Ranger 47PH

http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/uploads/pdfs/HardStartCapacitor.pdf

Here was a howto to start one using a gen. I added a SPP6 to my house AC heat pump and it then easily started off my 8000 watt generator.

Stories abound that many are able to start their RV air conditioners using a Honda EU2000 or Yamaha 2400i, or other small wattage generator. How are they able to do this while others can’t? Chances are they have modded their RV’s air conditioner with a hard start capacitor.

Today you can pay more and get the SPP6e electronic relay version.https://www.amazon.com/Supco-Electronic-Potential-Relay-Style/dp/B0071OXD8E

One reviewer says it burnt, so could be the non electronic version may be better, dont know.

Last edited:
Some day , if competition among noisemakers gets heavier , we will get Honda style gen sets that produce electric that is fed to an inverter.

The joy is the juice is fine with enough power and the noisemaker can run on variable RPM, just above what is RPM needed , not constant 1800 or 3600.

It could even be part of a system , that accepts various cruddy dock power and works as a power & isolation transformer.

Can you start the A/C with the EU2000i ECO switch ON?

My 2000 labors a little and the cap is a good idea. I installed a gas cap with threaded pipe nipple 4 in. long into tank. Then hose off the main tank. Good seal but not quite enough extended run. Fuel pump gives up at 1/4 tank but does draw from main for awhile. Any idea for fuel pump to help out?

Bear in mind the little units aren't intended for constant duty cycles. Adding a larger tank puts you in a position where you're running it harder and longer than intended. That and you're likely to start skipping past maintenance cycles required every 100 hours. They're great little generators, but don't kid yourself about running the AC, pulling near capacity, for days on end. They're just not rated for that, especially without proper maintenance.

Bear in mind the little units aren't intended for constant duty cycles. Adding a larger tank puts you in a position where you're running it harder and longer than intended. That and you're likely to start skipping past maintenance cycles required every 100 hours. They're great little generators, but don't kid yourself about running the AC, pulling near capacity, for days on end. They're just not rated for that, especially without proper maintenance.

The co-captain has absolutely NO interest in roughing it at anchor, so the likelihood that we'd actually use it for more than a single night once, maybe twice a year is slim to none.

Of all the places we cruise to, I can only think of one that doesn't have dock amenities. And its a place up a river where you put your bow into the bank and tie off to a tree.

Back
Top Bottom